PDA

View Full Version : Help with mini-blinds & climbing kitties!

tricollie4me
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I have mini-blinds in a few of my windows, and with our wonderful weather, have had the windows up. I typically find one or more kitties sitting in a window sill which is fine (I love to see them there :) ) but they often chew and poke at the little mini-blind slats. Because the slats are vinyl, their sharp teeth leave holes and other marks.

What do I do? I try to raise the blinds during the day but need to lower them at night. I've thought about replacing the blinds with bamboo matchstick shades but I'm guessing the kitties will think those are just as much fun to shred.

Thoughts?

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Admit defeat! I get my mini-blinds at Wal-Mart, and buy the cheapest ones as they end up trashed sooner or later. Matchstick blinds may be tastier to your cats...better off with vinyl ones. I wrap the cords up on a nail high up to avoid those being eaten off, and possible causing intestinal blockages. :eek:

lvpets2002
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
:rolleyes: Yes I would say admitt defeat also.. I have not really had that problem with my girls.. However I have a chair they loved to shred & I bought cheap covers & just let my girls just get after it.. However do make sure you have scratching post & ect..

Craftlady
08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I buy the cheapest ones at Walmart.
Save one of the miniblinds. I use the blind pieces from the damaged one to fix the new blinds as they get chewed up. I take out the damaged ones and slide in a replacement. They still open and close ok with a little help.

Lobodeb
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Try spraying a citrus based spary on them. Cats hate the smell of citrus. I think PetsMart sells something like that. Or, just get some lemon or lime juice, dilute it with a little water and spray it on there. That should stop the nibbling.

Edwina's Secretary
08-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Reminds me of this.....Death to the Mini-blinds (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15146&highlight=Miniblinds)

catnapper
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
LOL... I don't have blinds at all. I use sheers. The cats can easily nose past them and I personally think they are nicer looking (not to mention less dusty!) Only one of my cats has ever put a run in them - and she has really done a doozey of a job (well, if you're goign to do something, do it well! ;) )