PDA

View Full Version : Help please

jackie
08-26-2005, 02:08 AM
A couple of days ago my little next door neighbbour gave me her two hamsters because she was moving away. Last night I ceaned the cage and by mistake i left a small portion of it open, running along the sides. They both escaped, and I foubd one this morning dead on the sofa. I feel so sick. I am looking and looking for the other.

Where do hamsters normally hide out?????
What is the best way to lure him back into the cage???

equinelover23
08-26-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm so sorry that happened. :( Poor hamster! I wonder how he died?

All I can say is... look EVERYWHERE. One time my hamster escaped, we found her hiding INSIDE the stereo speaker. We put the stereo in the bathtub and put food in front of it so she crawled out.

Sorry I can't help much...

buttercup132
08-26-2005, 10:02 AM
u,, first close all doors and put towels under the cracks of the door so if its in a room it wont get out then go in each room and just strip the rooms down get a flash light and start looking, good luck

king2005
08-26-2005, 10:37 AM
u can do the above (room by room) & also lay live mouse traps with beanut butter in them.

I've only had mice get out & I had no choice to set live traps after I could catch the wilder ones after a few weeks.

Saddly those mice ended up having their babies in our house & after catching the adults I couldn't find the babies :(

jackie
08-26-2005, 11:17 AM
He is safe and sound!!!!

OMG, I am so happy right now. This morning I had an important doctors appointment, that I could not miss, so I couldn't do a whole house seach. I was so upset, and cried the whole way home. I thought for sure the cat had killed him too, and hid him somewhere.

After me and my boyfriend came home, we did a quick look around then i had to go lay down, because my leg was killing me, when I got up a few hours later, my boyfriend had wonderful news!!!!!

He was sweeping the floor and poking around looking, and something on the sofa caught his eye. it was the hamster and my dog Bella sitting side by side like nothing had happened!
:eek: :eek: The hamster looks fine, I wanted to take him out and check him over for injuries, but I think its best if I let him recover for tonight, and check him tomorrow.

Honestly I feel so relieved and happy. I have decided to name him Miracle. The only problem is he is all alone after always being part of a pair. :(

Do you think if I buy another hamster for him, the will get along, or will they fight because they "smell" different?

king2005
08-26-2005, 11:33 AM
that I cannot help with. All my hammies had always been alone.

CarrieB
08-26-2005, 01:28 PM
I once had a hamster, and something was wrong with the cage door so she would escape often.. and she was always hiding in my sisters closet! She went there every time.. it was so werid!

buttercup132
08-26-2005, 06:00 PM
im not sure about the hammy question ive herd of them fighting but im not a expert on them

wolfie
09-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm glad you found the other one!

I know this thread is a few days old, so I don't know if you got another hamster yet or not, but usually hamsters do better alone. The exception is dwarf hamsters, but even then it could be difficult introducing a new one after he had been with the other hamster for so long.

Try spending lots of time playing with him so he won't be lonely. If you think he really needs a friend then introduce them carefully and on neutral ground (like, not in the old hamsters cage).

I hope that helps.