PDA

View Full Version : Had to turn down doggie

Dixie Belle
08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I posted about a Saint Bernard that my husband and I were looking at, but he has aggression issues. I hated to do it, but we had to turn him down. If I didn't have kids I would have taken him aggression and all. I did however get the man to realize that there are people out there that would take a dog like him and use him for fighting. He has decided that since I can't take him, he's just going to keep him. They are going to build a privicy fence for him to stay in.

I really hated it that I couldn't take him. But I can't risk my boys getting hurt, or my other dogs either. I think that Belle could have handled him, but no way could Missie or Thor. And I was afraid that the three might gang up on him and hurt him. I think I made the right descision, but man, I hated saying no. I probably won't sleep tonight.

jesse_3
08-25-2005, 08:24 PM
I am so sorry, but, I understand your situation, it was the best for everyone. At least the man decided to keep the dog! Now you know that the dog will be okay and not fought:)

Steph, Jes, and Splinter

Kfamr
08-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm sorry you had to say no but it really sounds like you made the best decision for your situation. You've always got to think about your current animals and family members before bringing in a new animal.

It's great that they're keeping him! Do you know of any behaviorists in your area that they could possible speak with?

Dixie Belle
08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
They have spoken with a trainer before, but the man wanted a pile of money and didn't act like he could really do anything much with the dog. The owner had a stroke right around the time he got him, which made things harder. Honestly, I think that they handled the dog wrong when he first started showing signs of aggression. Belle showed some of the same signs at the same age this dog did, but we worked hard with her. I still would never let a stranger in the yard with her, but I never worry about myself, or my family with her. But this pups owner just wasn't in the shape to really work with him. Now he's two, and huge. I really think that he could be changed to a point, but I don't think his owner knows how to go about it.

Karen
08-25-2005, 09:15 PM
I am glad you talked him in to keeping him, and I hope he does get some help. A 2-year-old Saint, as YOU know, is just out of puppyhood, and certainly still trainable, but it will take a strong will, and a lot of work.
How sad that his owner had the stroke just at the wrong time for the dog's behavior, but at least he'll stay with someone who knows and loves him.