PDA

View Full Version : vaccines

pnance
08-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I keep hearing different opinions on whether to fully vaccinate indoor only cats (Leuk, FIP, FELV) or not. I was wondering what everyone thought?

furrykidsmother
08-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Rusty & Fluffy had both distemper and Rabies last year. Made them very sick. Garfield and Gidget didn't need rabies last year and we didn't get distemper either. They all got their initial shots and a few years of boosters, but from the responses I have seen quite a few here don't get their indoor babies vaccinated. I am agreeing more and more. My RB Tasha had to be put to sleep because of cancer and it was quite close to where she got all vaccinations for all the years I had her and I tend to think that may have been the cause.

lvpets2002
08-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Ok here is how my girls vaccines are = for the first two years yes kept everything current && with Splenda the newest one has just finished all her boosters & rabies && now unless I get anymore cats in the house they should all be good to go cause they never go out.. Now a while back a Vet once told me that after 3 yrs an animal immune systems will always carry the vaccine.. Hope this helps..

Craftlady
08-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Booster done yearly at our house. Once they've had 1 yr rabie it's
done every 3 yrs (3 yr cerfificate) with our new vet. Cindy is only one on 1 year since she just came on board with us.
We dont do (Leuk, FIP, FELV) shots anymore since they are all indoors only. Our vet doesnt believe in over vaccinating. Do ones that are necessary to the situation(s).

catmandu
08-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I HAVE,THE FOUND CATS,DONE EVERY YEAR,AS THERE ARE A LOT,OF STARRY CATS,THAT I COME,INTO CONTACT,WITH,AND ITS FAR BETTER,TO BE SAFE,THAN SORRY!
THANK GOD,I THREW OUT ALL THE THINGS,THAT GCK,TOUCHED,AS SHE HAD FIP,ADVANCED!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos903.jpg

momcat
08-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Our vet told me that because Groucho is an indoor kitty and an only pet he really doesn't need shots. So far, he hasn't had any health problems.

sirrahbed
08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
I am rethinking this one myself. Our county does not require rabies. When we had our cats health checked at the base veterinarian, they would only give the combo (is that what they know call distemper?) if we requested it. Our current civilian vet does not give FIP and several others (??) unless it is specifically requested. Ours are also indoor only - but I wonder if the risk of having one of them dart outside makes the vaccines a good idea anyway.....not sure. Our RB Bert was so afraid of the vet he would actually passout:eek: The vet recommended that we just skip bringing him in as long as he was well. He died of cancer many years later.

Craftlady
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I am rethinking this one myself. Our county does not require rabies. When we had our cats health checked at the base veterinarian, they would only give the combo (is that what they know call distemper?) if we requested it. Our current civilian vet does not give FIP and several others (??) unless it is specifically requested. Ours are also indoor only - but I wonder if the risk of having one of them dart outside makes the vaccines a good idea anyway.....not sure. Our RB Bert was so afraid of the vet he would actually passout:eek: The vet recommended that we just skip bringing him in as long as he was well. He died of cancer many years later.

Rabies are usually state requirements. I would do vaccines you and your vet feel comfortable doing on a regular basis.

Glacier
08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Most of the vet schools in the US are now teaching this protocol. It's from Dr. Jean Dodds. (google the name for lots of links) It's what we use--basically 3 basic first shots spaced out with rabies at about 16 weeks, then a booster at one year and never again. Most my critters arrive as adults with no history so I treat them as if they were babies for the first set of shots.

I do 3 year rabies shots because the city I live in says I have to for my dogs, except my old timers. My vet writes me a letter for any dogs over 7 years old. They don't get any vaccinations anymore. There also hasn't been a case of rabies in my area in over 60 years. I don't do rabies at all for my cats.

Vaccines are a huge money maker for vets. My vet agrued with me a for a long time about changing our schedule for vaccines. Now he's on board and no longer recommends annual shots to any of his clients. He does see my critters all at least once a year--the annual check up part is still a good idea. My vet comes to my house once a year--so much easier than taking them all to him! He also knows me well enough to know that if I am even a little concerned, I'll be in his office.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-26-2005, 09:52 AM
My cats don't get vaccinated every year either. They get all their shots when I first get them. My vet said that because they were all indoor only cats they can get the 1 year vaccination dose, but get it every 3 years. (I hope that makes sense.)

My cats never dart out of the house. Could they, yes, but they've never shown any interest in doing so. Sundae is the exception- she went through a short period of darting out but after being shot with the water bottle a few times she now won't go near the door.

QueenScoopalot
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I've heard from vets that so long as the "kitten series" of FVRCP is done, and rabies as required by law (most are 3 year vacs) that a cat is protected for life. FIV shots will cause your cat to test positive! Heaven forbid one ends up in a shelter and is tested....:eek: And the FIP shots I hear do nothing as far as protecting the cat.

pnance
08-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've read articles pro and con on both sides. My dogs have rabies/vaccines but they go in and out, my cats I've never given rabies to since they've never been outside and it's not required in my county. They have however had their vaccines since I've had them with annual boosters. I'd heard awhile ago that the leukemia vac can cause cancer around the injection site, but now I've been hearing more and more about all the vaccines doing more harm than good in indoor cats. My vet doesn't even do FIP unless specifically requested. It sounds like most here favor getting the intial series of vaccines then maybe a year of boosters, assuming they don't come into contact with other cats. I think I'm now leaning more towards skipping their vaccines next month. Thanks everyone!:)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid174/pa48117f411910f77b53863ac1527e274/f3902ccf.jpg

Craftlady
08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Just a thought,
You mentioned your dogs go in/out. I'm just wondering it they could bring stuff inside and they themselves be protected but not the cats. I would check with your vet.