PDA

View Full Version : Anyone is using these air purifiers?

koxka
08-25-2005, 10:22 AM
As the winter is approaching and the gang has increased to nine+iggy as a strictly indoor pets and the house won't be so aired as in during mild and warm seasons, though one or two air purifiers,scattered along the house, could help keep the air on good stantarts.

We already have one for iggy, a bionaire, but is a little bit noisy and it's hard to find replacement filters. The ones pictured below looks like will do the job, they are silent and don't need replacement filters.

Any of you have these at home? What is your experience with them? I could use some info & advice from you before ordering them.

Thank you! :)

"Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier"
http://store1.yimg.com/I/sharperimageeurope_1858_3251279

gini
08-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I only know of one person that has the Ionic Breeze and they love it. They feel it has made a difference, however, they only have one small Maltese.

They are finally coming down in price. I just received an offer in the mail for $269.00 - they were running as high as $350.00.

Edwina's Secretary
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
I know people who swear by the Bionic air purifier. We were just about to get one when Consumer Report came out with an evaluation of air puirifers and didn't rate it so well.

You can check it out here....Consumer Report (http://www.consumerreports.org)

wolfie
08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I just posted a while ago about air purifiers here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85557&highlight=purifier)

There's the link to the one I'm getting there. It got pretty good reviews. I just have to save up a bit more. :)

I read that the ionic ones release ozone (o3, not o2) into the air, which is bad for you. (That's actually what antioxidants are good for - removing the ozone from your body) Just something you might want to think about...

Kfamr
08-25-2005, 08:37 PM
I KNOW we have something very similar (or the same one?) in my parent's bedroom. They are asleep right now but i'll have to check and see what it is.

moosmom
08-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I swear by the New Healthy Living Air Purifiers/Ionizers. I used one when I lived in CT and had 6 cats and it was great. It's a bit expensive, but you do get what you pay for. They are silent and adjustable to the room size.

Unlike some of the purifiers, these come with glass filters that you simply wash, air dry and put back in the unit. I'd try ebay. It'd be a little cheaper than going through a dealer. The dealer I went through was charging $500.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-26-2005, 04:03 PM
I'd never use one. I don't remember exactly what we had at my work, but when a good friend of my boss saw it he freaked and told us to unplug it right away. I can't remember what he did for a living, but he knew a lot about them and gave us a ton of literature on ionizers. I'll have to see if my boss still has the info he gave us. He said that ionizers released ozone into our atmosphere, where it should not be. Yes we already have some ozone in our atmosphere, but ionizers release much much more then people should have contact with. Over time ozone exposure can cause health problems in people and pets. My boss has asthma and she was having a lot of problems, almost as soon (with in a day) after we turned off the ionizer she felt so much better and didn't need to use her inhaler near as often. He said it can even kill small pets. They also take the dust from the air and push it against your walls and furniture causing them to become really dusty and dirty.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-26-2005, 04:41 PM
We were looking into one for awhile and we decided against it, basically because of the cost. However, I did find out that a "whole house" air purifier works better than these ionic things, and is about the same price. The "whole house" ones attach right to your furnace and clean the air as it is being pushed up through the ducting to the vents. It sounded good, and I would really have like to have gotten one since I have allergies, but I guess we were being cheap and didn't get one. ;)

I know they are a lot of hype though, so make sure you get in touch with someone who really knows what they're talking about, and not just a sales person.

:)

Freckles
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
When I would leave the home closed up for a few days while I was out of town, I would come home to a musty smell which would leave in a couple of days.

I purchased the Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier and it works great! I run it all the time, but specifically when I would come home from vacation, the home smelled the same as when I left it. That's what I wanted. I now have two and I'm very satisfied.:)

These are older models and do not have "OzoneGuard" featured on the new models.

kuhio98
08-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
I purchased the Ionic Breeze Quadra Silent Air Purifier and it works great! I run it all the time, but specifically when I would come home from vacation, the home smelled the same as when I left it. That's what I wanted. I now have two and I'm very satisfied.:)

We also have 2 and love them. We have noticed a big difference in the smoky smell from the fireplace (in the winter) and smell from the cat box.

jazzcat
08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
We have an Ionic Breeze we use in the bedroom and I really like it. Whenever we cook something in the house that lingers I take the IB out to the kitchen/family room area and within an hour the smell is gone. We've had it for four years now and it's still working great.

Almita
08-26-2005, 08:00 PM
My brother bought for my mom last Christmas because my mom is allergic to dust, pollen, and since we have a lake for a backyard there is a lot of pollen and stuff. So he decided to buy one for her for Christmas.

koxka
08-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Firstable, let me clarify a couple of things.

1- The one we have is for Magda "The Iggy" to have good air, she doesn't smell or soil her place.She is very clean and is toilette trained. That means if she feels the urge prior schedulet time she head to the bathroom all by herself :D

2- We don't have air purifiers here. I visited all the major houswares chains and when asking for Air Purifiers the answer was Dehumidifier?:rolleyes:
Finally found this one on a independent shop. Only that on top it says Bionaire.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000065DKA.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

So, these are the only two options we have. I can't buy through Amazon.com because of the different voltage in the USA, Amazon.UK sells them but don't ship to the continent, Amazon.de don't have it.

Gini: Yes, they are pricey. One costs 325 €, especial offer of two 488 plus shipping 514 €.Leave 100 € for two of the small one.

Sara: After reading the report , I'm not sure about, but the item rated is another model than the one above.

Wolfie: Very interesting, I will found out more about O2 and O3

Moosmom: Those are not a option for me.Remember in Europe different voltage,different plugs.

KBlaix: Very interesting too. No asthma problem here.If you could have that report would be great.

Debbie: I guess, the ones you mentioned must be like the big ones for shops and public places.

Freckles, kuhio, jazzcat: I don't want remove smells. Bad mells are warnings that something is wrong ( read litter box perfurme).But remove allergens, dust, pet dander and so.Do the blades really retain them?. Glad to hear that works though. :).

A always doubtful :rolleyes:

Anna

koxka
08-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Almita, Is your mother happy with?

jazzcat
08-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I had a Bionaire that I think did a much better job removing dust, allergens and pet dander but it had a paper filter that got very expensive to keep replacing. That is why we bought the Ionic Breeze. I do think it helps but maybe not as well as the one with the big paper filter. I can tell you this though, I had terrible allergies and after being tested I found out my biggest allergy was cat dander - figures. Anyway, I have been able to stop all meds for the past year and the cats sleep with me in the bed with no problems. I don't know if the Ionic Breeze which is in the bedroom is the reason but I do think it helps.

Hope that helps you.

rosethecopycat
08-26-2005, 10:25 PM
We have the pricey Ionic Breeze, and it's not worth a dime.
We can't tell the difference, whether it's running or not. Husband and I both having breathing problems, which didn't change after months of use.
Dust still builds up on things.

I'm glad so many people find this thing worthwhile, anyone wanna buy ours?