PDA

View Full Version : Lasik eye surgury (questions)

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 06:07 AM
Thinking about getting it in a few months....
Anybody here done that?
What was the experience like for you?
I'm a little scared but looking forward to doing it at the same time.

finn's mom
08-25-2005, 06:33 AM
I can think of about twenty people off the top of my head that have had it done, and, I've never heard one of them not recommend it. I would definitely do it if I needed to. I'm sure there are people that have had bad experiences, but, I don't know them. ;) Good luck if you decide to do it!

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks Kari,
My husband had it done almost 10 yrs ago, when it was new.
He turned out good. I'm just a little scared. I'm not sure where I'll have it done (if I don't chicken out). I may go to Virginia, where my hubby had his or to a surgeon in Tampa. :confused:

furrykidsmother
08-25-2005, 09:01 AM
I know of many who have had this surgery and it has helped all of them. From what I understand it is relatively quick and the recooperation time is fairly quick too!

kuhio98
08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
I had it done in 2002. It didn't hurt at all. It wasn't scary. I was afraid that I would blink at the wrong time and mess things up. But, I didn't even have the urge to blink and besides, with the thingy they put on to keep your eye open, you couldn't blink if you wanted. My results? Well, I did not have to wear glasses for an entire year. But, then my distance vision started going. I could still get around just fine, but I didn't feel comfortable driving so now I'm wearing glasses again. But, my prescription is just slight so I don't have to wear thick glasses like I used to. The only side effect I've noticed is that my eyes are dry sometimes. I use drops and they are fine. Everybody, DON'T RUB YOUR EYES! Over time this thins out your eye so you couldn't have surgery if you wanted to and besides, it scratches your lense.

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Ok, thanks for the info.
I feel a bit more secure now.
I just need to chose where.

My Peanuts
08-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I had it done in January. It is one of the best things I ever did. It's unbelievable to just wake up and be able to see the clock! My eyes were pretty bad and now they are slightly better than 20/20. It took about 6-10 minutes per eye and is pretty much painless. I'd rather have it done again then go to the dentist. The only thing for me was I went first and then my boyfriend went, so my numbing drops wore off and he was still fine on the car ride home.(no neither of us were driving! ;) ) Even after the drops wore off it wasn't pain, just discomfort. Imagine having a lot of sand in your eyes. That's what it felt like. The best advice is after the surgery, eat, take some Tylenol PM and sleep for about 3-4 hours. I got home from my surgery at about 9pm, so I just went to bed for the night and woke up totally fine.

dukedogsmom
08-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I would love to have it done and need to. Otherwise, I've got to get bifocals. Ugh. It's about $1700 here. The only part that scares me is you have to be awake for it and can see for a bit what's going on. I get nervous just thinking about that. I've been wearing glasses since 7th grade. It would be so wonderful not to need them all the time. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use them for reading. I'm now too old for contacts so that is my only option.

Kfamr
08-25-2005, 01:39 PM
If I had the money i'd do it in no time!
I know several people who have had it done and not one bad report on it. I think you should choose Tampa and make a trip over this way. ;)

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
If I had the money i'd do it in no time!
I know several people who have had it done and not one bad report on it. I think you should choose Tampa and make a trip over this way. ;)

I know it'll be expensive.
My hubby said it would be an early Christmas gift.
We estimated it at 400+ dollars an eye. It should be easy because I don't have astigmatism... I just can't see things that are far away. I'm nearsighted. I think that's what it's called.... and of course, the first thing I thought, when he said, "maybe Tampa", was yay, I want to visit with Kay Ann!
:D

Luvin Labs
08-25-2005, 09:10 PM
I had it done in 2000. 20/20 now!!!

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Just make sure the people who have done it have done it a fair amount of time (like its 75% of their work, better yet 100% their work) with no complaints, and make sure you get the lifetime warranty!!! (that means if you need enhancements you get them done FOR FREE)

www.tlcvision.com I had mine done in pa with these guys, they are in various areas of the US... check them out!

Kfamr
08-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Carmen, look! From the link Luvin Labs posted..

http://www.tlcvision.com/centers_tlcvision/tampa/

Around 30 minutes from me. ;)

gemini9961
08-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Kay that link you posted, the office is like 2 minutes from my work. :) Carmen, you will have to let us know if you head to Tampa since it's my neck of the woods too. :)

beeniesmom
08-26-2005, 08:12 AM
I will.
As soon as I know something, I'll let you both know.
carmen

gemini9961
08-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Woohoo :D

beeniesmom
09-29-2005, 01:29 PM
AHHH! I am not getting it when I thought I would.
Just found out that it might be covered by insurance at the end of next year or early 2007. It's too expensive for me right now without insurance help. :(
Guess I'll have to keep my --(0)-(0)-- glasses for a little longer.

christa
09-29-2005, 03:45 PM
I see that I'm too late but it's definitely worth it! I had mine paid by insurance or probably wouldn't have done it at all. But soooooo glad I did! I think now it's even worth the $$$ if you'd have to pay for it yourself!

K9karen
09-30-2005, 12:30 AM
:( :( I'm not eligible for it but my opthamologist has a payment plan! He also says that in a few years, it'll get even better and even people with my kind of problems may be able to have it done. Everyone I know who's had it, says it was the best thing they ever did. I know of some large corporations who cover it in the health plan because they think their employees will do better if they see better!