PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Cookie started adolescence!

C.C.'s Mom
03-06-2002, 08:28 AM
It started last week when Cookie simply stopped coming when I call her. Every morning we meet for a walk with about 15 to 20 dogs. No problems there (anymore).
She comes when I call her (while shaking a box with yummies) and she's just a very happy dog there. The problems start when it's all over and everyone goes home again. I'm the only one who has to go another direction, which goes through a field. I always let Cookie walk without leash there because that way she can go for a swim and get the mud of her body.

And that's the trouble: she's in the middle of the lake and won't come out. I walk away, she stays there. Okay, she comes when I walk away out of sight, but only so far till she sees me and than she either goes back to the water or fiddles around with sticks. No use getting her - she thinks it's a game.

This morning it took me almost 30 minutes to get her back on the leash.

How long does this adolescence last? I'm loosing my patience on it and have already decided that tomorrow is a leash-only day and a walk without the other dogs...

aly
03-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Whenever she does finally come back to you, do you always praise her to death? If you scold her, she will think you are scolding her for coming back, not running around rampant. I know after 30 minutes you have to be mad, but try to act happy and give her lots of praise for coming.

Practice recalls while you're at home. You want her to come the first time you call her. Use really high value treats at first. Then later switch the treats to vary (like sometimes she'd get a piece of turkey, sometimes petting, sometimes a milkbone, etc).

A common reason dogs stop coming when called at parks and fun places is because usually the reason they're being called is to go home. They start to see that pattern and look at it as negative consequences for coming when called. Why would they come if they knew they were on the way home, there's way too much to smell! So while you're out, call her to you several times, then let her go play again as a reward.

There are 4 rules to dog learning:

1) A behavior that is rewarded is likely to increase.

2) A behavior that is not rewarded is likely to decrease.

3) A behavior that is randomly rewarded can become obsessive. (this is why Las Vegas exists, hehe).

4) Opps!!!!! Forgot the 4th one. Ummm, I'll come back later and finish it when I remember :o

C.C.'s Mom
03-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Aly.
I just saw your reply before I go out.
I don't get angry with Cookie - it's hard to control sometimes but it won't bring us anything.
I reward her coming with dog-chocolate drops or little fishes that I keep in a little box in my coat. She always gets a reward, a snack or a cuddle.

I practise the calling all the time when we go for a walk and at home. Also when she's in the middle of all the other dogs: one call and she's coming.

That's what bothers me: not coming when we go home. You're right, it's probably because she knows how we walk back home. :mad:

What bothers me, is that she never acted like this until last week. It seems like she's getting very independent and does what she feels like.

Dixieland Dancer
03-06-2002, 10:13 AM
You actually have TWO problems here. 1. Cookie is starting adolesences and 2. Cookie is a Golden Retriever!

Goldens are big happy go lucky, I like to play and don't want to stop kids and add adolesents to it and you have a frustrating combination. Recalls DO NOT work for Goldens in the WATER! They KNOW you more than likely WON'T come in and get them and you can stand there and call all you want, but they aren't coming.

So my suggestion.... Even if you are not going to water train for hunting or some other water sport, you need to at least do the basic water training that water dogs need in order to listen.

When they go out to do a retrieve, you want them to go straight out and straight back. If left to their own devices then they take the long way home!

You need to have some equipment with you. Have a long line about 30 to 45 feet and a whistle. Put the long line on her and let her go out (preferrably to retrieve something you throw.) As she swims out you let the line go out with her but have the end of it in your hands. When you have about 5 feet left then give the whistle three short toots and IMMEDIATELY call her name and Come (or whatever you use for recall). If she ignores you then you take the long line and start reeling it in as fast as you can. She may go under water and will be startled when she pops back up (good job on your part) and will look at you like "HEY, WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?" When she comes in to you IMMEDIATELY praise her and give her a reward.

Repeat the process. Never let her in the water without the long line until you see that when she hears the Whistle she immediately turns to you and starts to come back in (even before she hears you call her name and come.)

The whistle is her clue that she is to stop going out further and listen to what you want from her. Make sure that when she acknowledges the whistle you give her a clear "COOKIE - COME". Talk to her as she is coming in if necessary such as "Good Girl Cookie."

The benifit to this is how fast you reel her in when you first do this. When we were training Dixie for Duck hunting, it only took two times for her to realize she better come or else. The first time we reeled her in soooooooo fast that she went under water and torpedo'd out with such a startled look, I still see it and laugh. You are not hurting the dog but you are giving a signal that when you hear that whistle you better get ready to come or else.

Happy training!

kobieeli
03-06-2002, 11:25 AM
Believe me, all the advice you're getting about Cookie's teenage rebellion is good! Eli went through that stage too--suddenly, at about 8 months old, he'd just look at us calling him, wiggle his butt, and taunt us to chase him. He KNEW when we were going back to the car to leave the park! Getting a loooonnngg lead so you can reel in Cookie will help, as will the repeated call-treat-praise stuff you're doing.

And for your own sanity, chant constantly "this too shall pass, this too shall pass..." :D

C.C.'s Mom
03-07-2002, 03:39 AM
Thank you all for replying.

We went on a walk this morning on a long leash, and I pulled her in if she didn't come.

It sounds just like Eli: waggling butt and a cheeky face, but not coming at all!

It's raining so I won't let her swim today. And I'm going to get a whistle and start teaching her that trick. I just hope it works.

Yesterday I got so worked up about it, hat to count till 1000 at least!
And when we went for the late evening walk with my friend and her 8 month old Lab (who's the same: no coming anymore), I was so happy that I got her on the leash and could pull her to me. Thankfully Leena came the minute I had Cookie in my arms for a cuddle.
They'll start the whistle training as well.

sabies
03-07-2002, 12:53 PM
Sounds like Cookie is a sweet dog. Make sure you remain consistent in training her with the whistle and all - even after adolescence. I know my dog will still try to get away with doing her own thing and she's 10 yrs old.