PDA

View Full Version : Pets as gifts.

jackie
08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I think this is possibly one of the WORST things you can do to someone. I wonder how many animals end up mistreated, neglected, and\or abandoned because someone thought it would be cute to give a pet as a present.

On my last birthday, I had a group of friends who thought it would be funny to each give me an animal. I received 2 birds, 2 turtles, a rabbit, and a hamster. I was not impressed. All of these animals came in totally inappropriate cages and were basically dumped on me as a joke.

I already have 3 dogs and a cat, which is more than enough for any person. I managed to find a home for the turtles (which were in a little 12 inch bowl when i got them), but the rest are still with me. I had to buy a new hamster cage (30 euros) because he looked like he was going insane in the little cage he was in. The birds, again, I had to buy a new cage (45 euros). The poor rabbit, I felt soooo sorry for, being all alone, I had to castrate (60 euros), buy a new cage (65 euros), AND buy another bunny (20 euros) for him so he was not alone. Thats near 200 euros, which is 246US dollars, not including food, bedding, etc.

And then again, this afternoon, my little neighbour girl who is moving away to Latvia, can and asked me to take her two hamsters, which at least have a proper cage. I couldn't say no to this little 10 year old giving me her treasured pets to take care of.

I have had enough, all these animals were unwanted, as horrible as that sounds. I did look into giving these pets away, but now I am attached (a little) to them all, and cannot give them to someone unless I am 110% positive they will get the care and love they need FOREVER.

Sorry for this little rant, but I am just feeling really annoyed now. A pet is a gift you'd be better off giving to yourself.

AbbyMom
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm with you, Jackie. I'm an adoption counselor and frequently I tell people that, well, you're nice, but no cats as presents. They think I'm crazy. Don't I want to put these cats in good homes? Well, yes, but only to people who commit personally to give them a permanent, loving home.

Thanks for the reinforcement.

Thank you for giving those gift pets loving homes.

JenBKR
08-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Wow that was a lot to 'dump' on you. That's also a lot of money you had to shell out for your 'birthday gifts.' I agree with you, animals should never be used as jokes or gag gifts. It's one thing if the person really wants that animal, but in general giving an animal as a gift is not really a good idea.

IRescue452
08-25-2005, 11:15 AM
What a horrible "joke". I'm sure they got the pets from some place that didn't even care about the animals' placement. At my local humane society we don't allow pets to go out as presents even to somebody in the same household (a parent can't buy their child a birthday pet unless the child is present). Its not a good idea because you never know if the reciever can commit to taking charge of this animal for the rest of its life. Even if you know that they want new pet its best to let them pick it out because somebody might not want the dog that looks just like their recently deceased pet, ext. If somebdy really wants to get somebody a pet they should talk to the person and maybe offer to pay for the pet of choice, or buy the supplies and let the person pick their pet. The only pet I've given is goldfish to my mother because she told me she wanted to get one or two more for her pond.

lvpets2002
08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
:confused: OMG & that is alot & how did they know you would even want them.. I have to agree with Jen ..

jesse_3
08-25-2005, 09:52 PM
How can they possibly call that a joke? That is not funny at all. Now what do you do?

I think that you should only give a pet as a present if the person asks for the SPECIFIC PET. I mean, which one. If your are looking at a litter of dogs or something, and your friend says that they want that puppy, and you absolutely 110% KNOW that they want it, then give it.

It is wrong, to the owners and pets. I am sorry that your friends did this to you:(

Steph, Jesse, and Splinter

moosmom
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Jackie,

I failed to see the humor in doing such an irresponsible thing and would get all your so-called friends together and tell them so. I would never even THINK of giving a pet to someone without consulting them first. I'd also tell their parents. I'm sure they know nothing about it.

jackie
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
All my friends are in their 20s and 30s, so I don't think letting their parents know about it would do much. LOL

kittycats_delight
08-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I was telling my husband about this and he said that would be something like his friends would do. He is frm Italy BTW. He said that it seems that animals are not as big a deal there. A lot of people love their pets don't get me wrong but it seems they are not so much a part of the family as a possession. He said that this is something he loves about North America. How people are soooo dedicated and involved with their pets and how they are such a big part of our lives, just like our kids. He told me that is something that will drive me nuts about being in Italy. The total lack of respect people have for pets and how people think "we" are strange for being so involved and so dedicated to them. I guess it could all be a cultural difference. It comes second nature to most of us.

DJFyrewolf36
08-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I'd be really really upset, especially if I was given a pet as a gift and it looked like it had been mistreated before. Almost every single one of my pets has been a rescue from a shelter or directly from an abusive situation. My poor girl Spook and my little man Onyx were found wandering the streets...Remus was found in a box on the side of a busy road. My roomates rat was given up to a pet store because he was "too big"

Grrr...it makes my blood boil to think that there are many homeless pets out there and yet someone has to go and potentially make even MORE pets homeless by being thoughtless and giving a pet as a gift.

Scooby4
08-26-2005, 07:35 PM
I bought my father a ferret for christmas. He had picked it out and I bought it as a surprise!!! His wife did NOT want the ferret. I kept it at my house until my dogs almost ate it:eek: ! So I had to give the ferret to him much sooner. A few months later, I now have the ferret back!!! Me and her have bonded and I love her!!! However, I wasn't a "ferret lover" because of several bad experiences.:rolleyes: My father raised ferrets when I was younger.
I also got "stuck" with 2 additional dogs due to my "kindness". One was blind and deaf and the other hyperactive. I already had 2 dogs with issues as it was! Let's not forget about the true ruler of the house - The cat!!!:cool:
I love my pets dearly. But I understand the Poster's dilema. :rolleyes: I am just glad the "jokes" have grown into something not so funny!!! They are now loved and cherished!!! Good luck!!!

Kfamr
08-26-2005, 09:05 PM
What a horrible situation. :(