PDA

View Full Version : Bossy pup

lolainbc
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Hello all Im new to this board, and i was wondering if any of you could give me any sugestions to a problem im having with my dog.
Sam is a 1 year 1 month old suposed yorkieXlhasa tzu (although im almost positive hes cairn instead of yorkie). my fiance and I got him from an abusive home (when he was 8 months). he was a very hyper mess of a thing when we got him, he was terrified of men and brooms. he cowered all the time and bit a male friend when he tried to pet him, but blossomed in days. the old owners said they were getting rid of him because he was too high energy and he was being distructive, they also told me they never walked him or let him run around in the yard so go figure.... he is such a sweet thing now hes so friendly and loving he hasnt so much as growled at anyone after the one incident with my firend. when i got him he didnt know a single command no one ever bothered to teach him. he is so smart and willing to learn he knows pretty much everything and then some now. the only thing im having a problem with is, he is an angel around my fiance and i but as soon as people come over he turns into a little brat, he wont listen, he jumps up on everyone (not just in the im excited to see you way either, the entire time they are there) he tests everyone and quite simply innoys the crap out of everyone. i know what a sweetie he is but he wont stop acting up around others. any sugestions!??!

Flatcoatluver
08-25-2005, 01:42 PM
i would take him to classes, cause there public, i would go to basic obedience however you spell it, even though he may know all the commands in the class it teaches him to do it, in public places, nobody is rewarding him when he jumps up right (meaning nobody is petting him when he does jump up)?

Go to petsmart with him, let nobody pet him, and have treats with you, everytime he looks up at you give him a treat, say good watch me, adventally he will know that when he looks up at you he is good. also once he starts looking at you ask him to sit if he does tons of rewards. if he doesn't say it more stern. If he dosn't after that then push his butt down lightly when he does sit say good boy, be happy give him treat and then he will catch on too.

For at the situation at home, if he is happy to see people that's good, but when he jumps up on people say off, take him away. don't let people pet him when he jumps on them because thats like him getting praise for jumpig up. :)
good luck with that

jackie
08-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I had the same problem with one of my pups, and when anyone came over i would put him on the leash and make him sit the whole time. When he was good, he got a pet and a treat, when he was bad, he was ignored. Its a bit hard the first couple of times, when you have company over, to have a normal conversation. Try to get a few friends who will stop by and practice with you. :D