PDA

View Full Version : Grinding teeth?

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Kaige started grinding his teeth yesterday. Oh it so give me the heebie jeebies.
I checked him all out, thinking he had a loose tooth & it was moving & getting in the way once in awhile but it's not. He doesn't seem sore or anything. I can't find anything.

He appears relaxed when he does it and will even do while playing & what not so I doubt it is from boredom or stress.

It only happens once in a while, so far it's only happened at work & only happens between the hours of 3-5 pm. Weird.

Does anyone else's dog do this?
Do you have any idea what it is from or what I can do to stop it?

kittycats_delight
08-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Usually grinding teeth is an indication of stomach pain. Our RB Shadow used to do it and the vet indicated to use that they normally do it only when they have pain. I hope I am wrong and that Kaige is not having any tummy trouble. I would get it checked out though.

beeniesmom
08-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Awww, poor baby. I hope it's nothing serious.
Maybe his gums hurt? Are all his teeth in?

Glacier
08-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Pacer grinds his teeth when he's very excited--playing chase or waiting to go for a run. If nothing else has changed in Kaige's behavior, I wouldn't worry too much. If his teeth hurt, he'll change his eating habits so you'll know something's wrong. Since he seems to be doing it in a set pattern and you want him to stop, I'd break the pattern...give him a stuffed kong or some other toy to chew on at the time he usually starts to grind.

dukedogsmom
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Duke grinds his teeth when he's eating. It sounds like it hurts and I don't know why he does it.

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Tango did that when she was a pup sometimes, she stopped when she turned about 10 months old. I don't know why she did it though...

lv4dogs
08-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've looked him over & palpated him numerous times & can't find ONE thing wrong. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, eats his hard kibble & treats like a piggy, doesn't get the runs or vomit.

It's not a constant thing, it happens about once every 15-30 minutes, maybe a few times in a row, thats why I thought it was a loose tooth that was getting in the way but none are loose.
I think he's still getting/just got done with getting in some puppy teeth in the back.

I guess I'll just keep a good eye on it, I'll get it checked out in a couple weeks when he goes back to the vets for his last vaccines. Unless of course it gets much worse before.