PDA

View Full Version : Poor Sleet and Earle....

Glacier
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Sigh, it's one of those days around here, already! Sleet's allergies are acting up. She's really late this year. Usually she's at the vet by June for a steroid shot to control the itching. I thought we might get through this summer without any 'roids and with Sleet being comfortable, but it no such luck. She's scratching and itching like crazy. We are off to the vet tomorrow for a shot.

I'll also be getting the vet (Dr. Kim this time) to look at her back hips. I hate to even admit that Sleet is aging, but she most definately is. She's getting very stiff in her back end. When she runs, she no longer moves her back legs independantly. She bounces off them, holding them together. She walks normally, but slowly. My husband just called me at work and said that this morning, she's limping badly and holding one leg up a bit. She didn't get off her bed when I left, which is not unusual, so I didn't notice anything was wrong with her.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Old%20stuff/cutesleet.jpg
My favorite picture of her. She's my little canine soulmate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/earle_grass.jpg
The other reason my hubby called was to tell me that he had separated most of the dogs for the day as they beating up on Earle this morning! Earle!! No one beats up on Earle! Once in six years, Earle's been in a fight and that was 4 years ago. Guess it's twice now, although hubs says Earle wasn't really fighting back. He has a small puncture and a sore paw. He'll be ok, but I'm sure he'll play it up for as long as he can!

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Poor ruppers. Give them big smooches for me.

Queen of Poop
08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
For Sleet, here's a big kiss on each hip to make them feel better.

Earle, what's up with letting the gang pick on you? Must be having an off day. Hugs and kisses for your ouchies.

cyber-sibes
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Poor pups! Sleet, hope you feel better after your trip to the vets,
sweetie! And Earle, was it something you said? Tell em to BACK OFF! Doesn't sound fair at all, buddy, heal up quickly. ((( hugs))) and ear rubs from me. Hope the rest of your day goes smoother, Glacier!

pitc9
08-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh poor babies :( :(
I hope they both are feeling better soon!

Cinder & Smoke
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

Sleet ... She's getting very stiff in her back end.
When she runs, she no longer moves her back legs independantly.
She bounces off them, holding them together.
She walks normally, but slowly.

:(

Have you tried Glucosamine?

Bowser was just like that when he arrived - stiff & "hopping" to
move his back legs. :(

Smokey has been on Glcosamine for years to help his "bum knee";
and if you don't look closely - you'd never know he has a problem
with it!

It took a couple of months to take effect with Bowz ... but since he's
been gobblin up a Glucosamine capsule with SmokeMutt - he's
"limbered up" quite a bit and now moves his back legs independently
when he wants to! :D

PS:
If you try it - buy your Glucosamine at the Yukon equivilant of Wally's-Mart!
Doc Mike told me to get it there - it's a LOT cheaper than the Vet-Grade
and Vet PRICED stuff! It's an over-the-counter medication that's
sitting on the shelf - no Rx: needed.

Glacier
08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
:(

Have you tried Glucosamine?

yup, she takes glucosamine regularly, plus antler dust. My father in law is an antler carver. He saves all the dust from his carvings for the dogs.

The glucosamine seemed to do wonders until recently. Maybe she just needs a higher dose now.

captain
08-24-2005, 05:42 PM
{{{hugs}}} to SLeet for her allergies, and to Earle - darlin boy,

dukedogsmom
08-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Duke does that with his back legs sometimes, too. I hope Sleet gets to feeling better. Let me know what your vet says about that. I've got Duke on the Metacam and Conjointen(sp) tablets. It hurts to have to acknowlege they're getting old. I'm glad Earle wasn't hurt too badly. Hug them both for me. Love the pics. Especially the second one.