PDA

View Full Version : Are your co-workers animal people?

Pam
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I am fortunate that I work in an office where everyone (except one person) has a dog/dogs. There are two cockers, one labby, one sheltie, one mutt and my two poodles represented there. :) These folks do not think I am crazy at all because their dogs are truly their children as mine are. It is not at all uncommon to have a conversation during lunch about our dogs. Some of us have even brought them into the office on days when the boss is out so that everyone can meet them in person! :o Thank goodness there are no surveillance cameras because the boss is not an animal fan. :rolleyes:

How about you? Do you work with *animal friendly* people?

Samantha Puppy
08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
One or two of them are animal-friendly, though not to the extent I am. My boss had two cats until one disappeared. She was sad about it and misses him but never bothered to go looking for him or put up flyers around her neighborhood. Another guy has a dog but he's really REALLY quiet so we don't ever talk about them.

Mostly, my coworkers think I'm nuts for making myself as available for my animals as I do. They don't get that they can't spring late hours on me because I need to make sure Samantha has arrangements to go outside and she and the kitties all need to be fed (schedules are important!).

So it's not like they hate animals but they definitely don't "get" me - and animals aren't the only way they don't "get" me. I can't wait to leave this place.

Pawsitive Thinking
08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately my lot haven't got a clue :(

They laugh at me for "naming" the baby seagulls on the roof opposite and have no idea why seeing the fox yesterday was so exciting. Thank God I found you guys ;)

JenBKR
08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Oh yes, almost everyone at my work loves animals. There is only one person that has no pets, one of the bosses. My other boss owns a farm and has lots of horses, cats, and dogs. That's why I like it so much here!

dukedogsmom
08-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Jen, you're lucky. I only have a small few like that at my work. One girl couldn't believe I had gotten things for a dog party. Most of mine are just kid people.

cloverfdx
08-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Well my boss bred Elvis so...... yep :D. They have 2 working Border Collies and about 6 or so Minaiture Fox Terriers, plus the 1000 + sheep ;).

Kfamr
08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Yep! Everyone there loves animals.

We're constantly talking about our dogs and pets. Whenever I chop carrots I save the end pieces for my one co-worker's bunnies.

Everyone gets to excited when I bring in pictures of my three. Sometimes they call me by one of the dog's names :P Simba being the most frequent. My boss pretends to have a relationship with Simba, the other day I left cookies on his desk and cut a piece of paper into a heart and wrote that it was from Simba. He came out and asked if there were anymore Simba snackies left. :P

I guess you may have to be a part of our crew to fully understand our silliness but they are so much fun. There's not one day that we're talking about our animals. We bring in milkbones to give out to the drive-thru customers and whenever there's a pup whoever's working the drive-thru calls us up there.

One day we let a lady bring her bloodhound inside the entrance area because he was so hot and the lady had walked up there with him. We gave them both water and my one co-worker drove them back home.

We have rabbits, kitties, dogs, fish, everything. :)

Here's Trent, one of my boss' dogs.
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/nalasimmy/Picture_043.jpg

And my co-worker's Brandy :)
http://petevents.com/~simba/Post8-10-2005/38.jpg

catnapper
08-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Yes! I love it! My boss is a huge cat person, though she only has one cat (Murcie would not appreciate a brother at this point - he's 17 years old and set him his Siamese ways)

My boss also works out of her home office and I often can hear Murcie screaming at the top of his lungs at her for attention. I giggle when she says "oops Kim, I gotta go. Murcie wants me to scoop his box now" LOL (she knows if she doesn't scoop when he says so she'll have a "message" left somewhere)

I had one client that I didn't like for some reason. She wanted to come ot my office (my home) and I said to her, "Well you are more than welcome to come to the office, but I must tell you that I have several cats. If you are allergic or afraid of cats, my offie is not some place you want to be." She politely changed where we were having the meeting ;) :p

JenBKR
08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Jen, you're lucky. I only have a small few like that at my work. One girl couldn't believe I had gotten things for a dog party. Most of mine are just kid people.

I am quite lucky. One girl here has a passion for boston terriers..she dresses them up for Halloween & Christmas...it's pretty funny! I'll try to post some of those pictures

wolfsoul
08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Well I work in a grooming parlor, so all of my coworkers are animal people lol. My boss grew up with her mom breeding shelties and collies. She has 3 shelties -- one in agility, one in conformation (will start agility soon) and one as a companion. Her female in conformation is going to be bred soon. As well as owning her own shop, she teaches agility. One of my other coworkers grew up breeding dobermans and golden retrievers, and now she breeds and rescues belgian groenendaels. She's involved in conformation and agility, and she used to do schutzhund and obedience. She teaches agility as well. Another coworker has three dogs and has one in agility -- another one will start agility in a couple of years. They are pretty much the only coworkers that are "involved" like that, but all of them love and have pets of their own.

Ginger's Mom
08-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I work in a very large office. I would say that most of the people are not really animal people, but that still leaves quite a few who are. :) One of the big bosses is very much a dog person, so whenever I have any kind of dog problem, he is the one I speak with. He is great that way!

Barbara
08-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Yes they are.
One dog comes in the office regularly, one other person has 3 cats and in my assistant's room there hang the pics of Filou and Tigris as COTD:D

My boss doesn't have pets but he rescued a bat that had flewn inside the house and he stopped a meeting because we had to look at a falcon outside:D

Mad Mags Moo
08-24-2005, 10:28 AM
I work for myself but all my clients are mad about their cats.....after all I am a professional cat sitter!!!!! Getting paid to look after and fuss other peoples cats...BLISS!!!!!:D

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2005, 10:57 AM
All of my co-workers are animal people to some degree. Most of us have cats and a couple of people have dogs. One of my coworkers reciently lost a cat to a Coyote attack and it really upset her. She was upset mostly because her little boy wasn't really a door dasher, but for some reason when her son came home he just ran outside and the coyotes attacked him :(. Everyone in the office was upset about it. She just rescued a girl kitten about a week ago though, because she said that having only one kitty in the house was getting lonely and her other boy was very sad.

Every one of my coworkers commented on the Remus picture I have on my wall. :D They all think he is the cutest thing, even though he has a major cattitude problem.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Yep, they all are! But they kind of have to be because I work at a pet boarding facility.

My boss does a lot of rescue and has around 20 cats and 5 dogs (a boarder collie, chow mix, whippet, yorkie, and a min pin) of her own. Her house is huge, almost 4000 square feet, and her dogs have their own bedroom and her cats have their own along with a big screened porch.

There are 3 main girls I work with:
-One has a pit bull, 2 cats, a flying squirrel, and a dove.
-another coworker has a yorkie, a cat, and a cockatiel
-another has 3 are lab mixes and horses (I don't know how many).

ParNone
08-24-2005, 11:45 AM
The two that work here with me in Houston do. One has a Lab, the other a Border Collie. They definitely love them, but have somewhat outdated training ideas. I bite my tongue, unless they specifically ask me for training advice.

There's quite a few in our group from California that I know have dogs.

None of the ones from India do though. Not sure if that's cultural thing or just coincidence. My supervisor, who's from India, but lives in California, did not get my needing a day off after Maddie died at all. He was very understanding about needing time off for my Mom who had Cancer, but not time off for a dog.

Par...

lvpets2002
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
:) Yes most of my co-workers are animal people.. However there is this one guy here thats a dudd on animals & so we dont listen to his hot air..

smokey the elder
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
There are a LOT of catlovers at my job! Quite a few rescuers, too; we have an informal rescue network where we take referrals and requests for particular animals. My boss has a 16 year old white cat he loves to bits.

grybai
08-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Most people at my work have animals but they are not exactly the best taken care of... My boss and one of my coworkers kept their dogs upstairs while working, a boy and girl unfixed daschund and lo and behold, surprisingly a litter of puppies popped up.

The mother of another coworker of mine breeds chihuahuas, but after seeing his deformed animal, I have a hunch she's the backyard kind.

Another coworker got one of those designer breeds from a pet store, but at least she's spayed, well trained and well taken care of. (trained in Japanese too, so cute!)

Logan
08-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Absolutely not! But, since I am the only representative in this city, I'm not interacting daily with them and I don't report every time I have to go to the vet! Might end my career if I did! LOL!!!

I"m so glad I have you all to talk with about my pets since I don't really have that sympathy and adoration at work. I do have one good friend, the president of our company, who knows my pets very well (at least most of them), as he used to live here, and he likes to hear about them a little bit at least! :o

K9karen
08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
At my last job, everybody had a pet, mostly dogs, so it was heaven. There were a few people who didn't have dogs and listened politely to us brag or sometimes laughed. Then they got dogs and the tables were turned! They totally got it! I had tons of framed Cody pictures on my desk. When an occassional client came into the office to see me, their first question was "How's Cody?" On the job before that, I took time off twice to stay with Cody when he had ACL surgery. I got phone calls and cards, even from my boss. After Cody died (I was laid off the day before :( :( ) I got cards and phone calls. It was awesome. My ex boss and I still talk and she always mentions her "granddog". Anytime anyone needed time off for the vet or a sick pet, even if you used up all your vacation or personal time, there was never any problem getting the time! Everyone understood. It was wonderful. I think that's why everyone got along so well. Animal Lovers Rule!

wolf_Q
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
You have to like animals to work in a grooming salon, so yes my co-workers like animals. They are not all dog crazy like I am though. One recently gave away her unspayed outdoor lab because she was moving and I heard the place she's living at now they have a different dog. :rolleyes: The rest that have pets love and spoil them though. Even they think I'm nuts sometimes! :o

NoahsMommy
08-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Not employed right now, but my last job will count right?

Aimee has two labbies:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5db34b3127cce91f6e55f6cbe00000016109BYt2Llq2I
I forget their names though...

Kim has a fish, named Kelly. Her daughter named everything "Kelly". :)

Cindy has a kitty...that was my kitty friend. :)

But of course as usual, I'm the crazy cat lady in any job I've had. ;)

jenluckenbach
08-25-2005, 05:24 AM
They darned well BETTER be!! I work in a grooming salon! ;)

But I know what you mean, it would be awful to work with only people who waven't a clue about the worth of a pet. :(

finn's mom
08-25-2005, 06:42 AM
I just started this new job at the Ford dealership, so, I don't know many of my coworkers well enough to know if they're animal people. I know they've all seen Finn's picture and said he was a good looking dog...so, no one's said "ew, i hate dogs"... The girl that started the same day as me has talked about her dogs and cats before, so, I know she's had pets...I've really only worked with one girl that was as into animals as I was. I've met a lot of people at past jobs who don't have pets.

Cataholic
08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
I work with 10 other people in a law office. One of the partners loves dogs, one just lost his cat and told me about it and I could tell he was upset, and the other? Hmm...he isn't into animals, and will tease me about cats.

The women I work with I would say half have animals of some sort. One woman has WAY more cats than me, so, I am not officially the cat crazy woman, he he he. Only one person is not an 'animal lover'...but, she is very nice about it.

Most people know I am crazy about animals as I send around rescue stuff to most of my email contacts.

I edited this to add: it doesn't really matter to me if someone is or isn't an animal lover (or child lover) as long as they are respectful. I have seen just as much 'disrespect' directed towards animal lovers in the 'real' world as I have seen towards child lovers here on PT.

ramanth
08-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I work in a library so many of the staff here have cats. A few have dogs.

My boss Clare, has two cats that I've sat for. Sweet things. Both came from shelters.

I helped Marie find a dog via rescues. She and her husband adopted a Chow Chow.

Erica has various dogs and cats.

Brian is looking to adopt a dog but he hasn't found the right one yet.

:D

Karen
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
All but one are real animal people, and that's one of my bosses. The other boss, however, is a real animal person, and they're married to each other, so while Boss 1 doesn't "get" animals, he's always had them around!

wolflady
08-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of "pet friendly people" in my office. Luckily, my associate has a dog and she's a dog person, so it's nice to have at least one person here that understands. Everyone else has kids and that's all they talk about. It kind of annoys me though, because they always think they are better than me because they have kids and I don't....*sigh*

Actually...I do...mine are just all 4 legged and furry! LOL :p

**hugs**

pitc9
08-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Most of the people I work with love animals, not as much as I love mine!:o They all know know much I love my pups, and they laugh because I have pictures of my pups at my desk and none of my hubby!!! :D
I always tell the people I work with that I like my dogs a LOT more than I like most people!!:D
They even went so far as to put a "Beware of Dog" sign with a GSD on it on the back of my chair!!

Kfamr
08-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Just more proof. My co-worker just spent about a half hour here meeting the pups after we both worked since 5:30am this morning! Guess what her name is? Pam!!:p
She has 2 bunnies, a cat, and 2 dogs. :)

Oggyflute
08-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Having just started a new job, no-one really knows the extent of my obsession I suppose.:D I showed one girl a pic of Oggy that is my phones wallpaper, and she has a dog. I also told them that we can't have kids and that our pups make a great substitute, so I think there getting the idea.:D

CalliesMom
08-27-2005, 07:12 AM
At my old lab, most people had more animals than I did so it was kind of nice to talk about them. One of my old professors just sent me an emal about one of the mew-mew kittens' leaving to go to her new home and how sad she was.

In my current lab, I am in a research tech/grad student office with three other guys. I know two of them have at least one dog and the third has 8 cats, but they are his wife's. :D I'm not sure about everyone else though...I haven't really gotten to know them well enough.

Cincy'sMom
08-27-2005, 09:17 AM
I think just about everyone I work with is an animal person. My boss's cocker goes to school with my dogs, our typist has 3, and the other tech reviewer has 3 cats.

In the lab, the supervisor has 2 guinea pigs, two of the chemist's have 2 dogs each, and the other has 1, currently and has been approved to adopt a grey. One technician just lost his dog, and I'm not sure if the other has pets. The technoloigst has none, but his parents have both a cat and a dog.

I think it took people a while to realize my boss and I were talking about our dogs, when we were talking about school, and (training) classes and stuff...but it really works out well when your boss is a true animal lover too...makes it easier to call off for emergency vet appointments! My former boss (she took a new job in Janurary) was a dog person too...she still calls me when one is sick to see what she should do!