PDA

View Full Version : It's been forever;and a dog needs help

Dixie Belle
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
It's been forever since I had a chance to get on here. I think it's been a year. For everyone who doesn't know me, I am Dixie Belle. I usually have a very odd assortment of animals, and an invisable "i have food" sign that every stray manages to find.

At the moment, my animal list is pretty tame. I have St. Bernard's Dixie Belle and Thor, my boxer, Missie, and a newly adopted cat, Trinity. No strays have stopped by, but then hunting season hasn't really kicked in yet.

We are however looking at another Saint. His name is Rascel and he turns two Friday. Only problem is that he has aggression issues. The onwer who has him now can't handle him and doesn't trust him. I've been going to see him every day this week to see how he behaves with me. So far, he has let me pet him, has obeyed the "sit" command, and has not growled. His lip has curled up a few times, and when it does, I back off.

I really haven't decided if I can take him or not. My husband is going to go with me Saturday and see how he acts then. I really don't believe that he is a bad dog, I just don't think they went about his training corectly when he started showing the aggression. Belle showed a lot of the same signs when she was a pup, but with constant work, we got her through. Grant it, I would never let someone she doesn't know in the yard with her but I never lost my faith in her.

I'm really not sure if I could re-teach Rascel or not. So far, I'm the only person who has gone to see him that he has even tolorated. And I'm scared to death that someone is going to take him to turn into a fighting dog. But at the same time I do have my son, and my baby on the way to think about. Plus there is Thor. (For a memory refresh, Thor got hit by a car when he was six months old. He has come a long way since then, and has healed a lot, but one leg can't bend do to the knee joint getting destroyed by a pin that slipped.)

I just don't know what to do. Please, any advise and suggestions are welcome

Kfamr
08-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi Cheryl, it's nice to hear from you. :)

I think it'll all depends on how he reacts to your husband. When your baby comes you'll always need someone else to help with the animals, and if Rascel doesn't respect your husband then no one besides you would be able to care for him.

Is there any Saint rescues in your area that could possibly help him out?

Good luck in whatever happens.

Kay

jbower
08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi cheryl, good to hear from you
i would be super careful as saint bernards can cause a lot of injury when they bite.
My sister had a saint bernard that was aggressive he bit both of my kids who had to have stitches these where minor bites
the big one he did was when he bit my uncles arm he (my uncle) had to have something like 57 or 60 stitches in his arm my sister has pictures i will have to get them it was gross so PLEASE keep this in mind
if you are looking for another saint i will have pups again in october or i have a couple 1 year olds for sale now
Congradulations on the upcoming baby we just had one in march
if ou would email me your phone number i would like to call you
i dont think i have the most recent one
take care and hope to hear from you very soon (hopefully not in a year LOL I've missed you and Thor)
Jamie

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey there, glad to see ya back!

From the sounds of it I think you are right, he doesn't really seem like a bad dog, just had improper training.

I'd go with hubby see how the dog does with him. Go home & think about it before making any decisions.
Are you experienced with behavioral problems &/or do you have a good trainer lined up?

I think it may be best to have him meet your dogs as well.

Maybe see if you do a trial thing, take him in for 3-5 days & see how he does? Or contact a rescue organization if the owner isn't willing to take him back, see if you can take him there if things don't work out.

I'd have some sort of plan in case things can not work out.
Good luck & keep us posted.

Dixie Belle
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
See, that's the thing. I think that they kept him to isolated when he first started showing signs of aggression. When Belle started showing the same signs, we did the opposite. We took her around other dogs, and other people. Like I said earlier, I would never allow someone she doesn't know in her yard, but she has never snapped at anyone in our family. This dog has. But I really feel that it was bad training. The owner had a stroke and he hasn't really had the time to put in with the dog. And really, I don't think he knew what to do. I'm going this afternoon to see him again. I guess right now it's a wait and see. I'm also going to look into Saint Rescue. I know there are some, but not in a near by area. However, I might could talk to them too, and get their outlook on the situation.

Congrats on your baby Jamie. He is adorable. I'm having another boy, he's due in December.