PDA

View Full Version : Dream Breed?

shais_mom
03-06-2002, 01:00 AM
This is often posted over on the dog boards. But I was looking thru my Cat Fancy Magazine and was looking thru the classifieds and was Picking up my "DREAM BREED"! SOOOOOOOOOO What breed would your next kitty cat be if you could chose?(altho the best kind are the ones that fall into your lap)

I would love to have :
1)a RagDoll
2)a Maine Coon
3)a Munchkin

I just thought they are great!
The one I don't care for and kinda freaks me out is the Sphynx cat. The hairless look just weirds me out!
;)

Former User
03-06-2002, 01:49 AM
I agree with Shais_mom, hairless cat is a bit spooky, I coulnd't ever have a cat like that... Although there wouldn't be cat hair everywhere...;)

I'd like to have orange tabby next :D and maybe Norwegian Forest cat.
At the moment, Casper and Kitty are enough though....

Efrat
03-06-2002, 04:36 AM
Well I already chose... Gucci is from a cat shelter, but all my othre three are British shorthair... I just fell inlove with them...first I had Tsoomi who is Blue and then I saw a photo of the colour-point ones and fell even more in love...
Now, a few weeks ago I saw in a cat show a silver tabby british and fell for him too!!!

well maybe when my babies are a little older we'll think about getting more... now 4 are more than enough!

lynnestankard
03-06-2002, 05:39 AM
I agree with Efrat - my three are enough at the moment :eek:

But my dream cat is a Siamese - theyare such 'people' cats it's amazing - they 'talk' and cuddle and drive you mad with their energy - but oh I do want another Siamese cat:(

Lynne

yumyum6970
03-06-2002, 06:46 AM
I love my little Yum Yum to death and she is part siamese so I guess I would say siamese cats :) My husband on the other hand loves burmans and that is what duthcess is..they are so loyal to one person.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

K & L
03-06-2002, 06:53 AM
Ragdoll then a Norwegian Forest cat!

C.C.'s Mom
03-06-2002, 06:57 AM
I've always been in love with little grey tigers, and thus most of my kitties have been grey tigers like Eddy. But, my heart beats faster when I see an orange tabby (had that too a long time ago).

If we decide on getting another cat, it'll be a choice of the moment. We'll go back to the Rescue Organisation where we got Eddy and Rudie, and let the cat decide.

I always wanted a British Shorthair or a Russian Blue. But well, the shelters are full of cats and I already got my dog from a breeder...

Pam
03-06-2002, 07:06 AM
Staci, my daughter had read about ragdolls in Cat Fancy and absolutely had to have one. She researched them on the web and even asked the vet about the breed. She finally bought Gabe almost 4 years ago. He is just beautiful but I am afraid he doesn't fit the mold of a typical ragdoll. He is just not friendly at all to say the least. :( He has only bonded with her and her husband and now they are afraid of how he will take to my little grandson when he begins to crawl. (Biting is not uncommon for him, if he doesn't know you. :( )I guess when it comes right down to it there is no guarantee that a specific breed may live up to its expectations. Then again maybe Gabe is the exception to the rule. My two kitties are "mutts," cost me nothing, and are friendly, loving little guys. Go figure! :rolleyes: :)

Here's Gabe. He even looks like he has an attitude! :D
http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35042/curr/3987174_20020306_081037_20020306081037.jpg

Randi
03-06-2002, 07:14 AM
I definately prefer shorthair cats - wild striped tabbies with thick short fur are my favorites. The ones looking like Eddy, Rudie, Casper, Kitty, Mable, Caesar, Bailey, Cutie .... and of course my own Fister. :D

But, Maine Coons and Burmese are also beautiful in my opinion.

Gio
03-06-2002, 08:57 AM
I would love to have a British shorthair, a Bengal or a grey cat. I also love black cats (like my Prema).

My last attempt to get a gray cat is Foxy (7 months old and yes he has some grey in him, but also some black, white and beige... :D ). I prefer short hair even though I adore Foxy's extremely bushy tail and tufts of hari which come out from his ears and from under his paws. As a general rule I prefer one colour, but with Foxy and Maya (a calico) you can tell that I take anything that comes along and that needs a good home. :D

lynnestankard
03-06-2002, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pam
He has only bonded with her and her usband and now they are afraid of how he will take to my little grandson when he begins to crawl. (Biting is not uncommon for him, if he doesn't know you. :( ).

Sorry Pam but I did LOL when I read that - who's doing the biting Grandson or Gabe?!!

Lynne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Pam, I can't believe it!!! :eek: This is exactly what happened to my mom!!! She had been getting a cat magazine and after reading about them extensively, she mentioned to my brother that a Ragdoll would be nice to have around. When my dad mentioned getting a cat for her, my brother told him that she wanted a Ragdoll. A breeder was found and the cutest little kitty you've ever seen was brought home. He has since turned into a holy terror, and the only ones that can touch him are my mom and dad. She never really came up with a name for him, so he has gone under a few - Cranker, Morphey or Morphidite and Poopers. Cranker because of his cranky disposition. Morphey and Morphidite because of he is the complete opposite of what our research told us a Ragdoll should be, and Poopers because when he was just a little kitty, he would only poop in the tub instead of the litter box. He absolutely hated it when my niece and nephews would come over, but he wouldn't go and hide. He would sit tight and protect his territory which included biting, clawing and hissing at them. He's a great cat when just my mom and dad are around, and the rest of us have learned to avoid him. He's such a pretty kitty that you want to reach out and pet him, but he lets you know in no uncertain terms that this is not a wise decision. My mom and dad spoil him to no end so he lives a good life, but my choice would be the one at the pound that doesn't get adopted by anybody else. The one that's maybe a little too old, or a little too skittish. My only requirement is that they use the litter box religiously.

shais_mom
03-06-2002, 11:18 AM
I totally agree that mutts/mixes are the best. I just posted this topic for fun.
I am glad I heard the stories about the ragdolls.
Pam, Gabe is gorgeous. How old is he?
I probably won't ever buy a cat from a breeder. Kylie is a barn cat. I would probably go thru a humane society or a free kitten ad. Or petfinder or www.animalhome.com
I never thought I would have a purebreed dog, and I have 2. One from the Humane Soc and the other one was free too. Altho I would love to add a papillion or a King Charles Spaniel to the mix. But I heard a man talking to other day and he was at a petstore and they had Cavies and they told him they could cut him a deal and give him one for $1200. :o :o

Pam
03-06-2002, 01:21 PM
Tubby & Peanut's Mom....My daughter will be relieved to hear she is not alone! They got Gabe four years ago, when he was around 10 weeks old. She bought him from a woman with four small little boys. The story was that one of the boys was severely allergic to him. We have since wondered if that was the truth. :confused: In the first couple of weeks he would let anyone pick him up, although he was not terribly friendly even then. That was OK until the stalking of visitors started, and a couple of times he has wrapped himself around her mother-in-law's leg and taken a bite. He will bat you on the leg if you get too close to him too. I go over pretty often so he doesn't spazz out too much around me, but if I attempt to pick him up.....watch out!!! :eek: :eek:

So far he seems totally disinterested in my little grandson. (Funny comment Lynn! LOL! No biting on the part of my grandson, yet anyway! LOL!) We are afraid that will change as he begins to crawl and may invade Gabe's "space." When I think of how much money this little guy cost and how he turned out it is depressing. I guess it's like Tom Hanks said in Forrest Gump....slightly paraphrased...kitties are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you'll get. :rolleyes:

shais_mom
03-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Great Thinking Pam!! lol
I alsoo had to add that I would love to have a pug or a French Bulldog along with my Kitties!

zippy-kat
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Dream kat = one that cleans his OWN litterbox;)

1) tuxkats furever!!
2)maincoon
3) nw. forest cat
4) ragdoll
5)sphynx cats (yes I know I'm weird--but they're so ugly they're cute!)

Pam
03-06-2002, 01:52 PM
Oh Staci you are a woman after my own heart! I feel that I simply MUST have a pug some day! ;)

purrley
03-07-2002, 06:36 AM
I'd love to have a great big Maine Coon (now thats a cat):D :D .
And I've always loved the Abbysinian. Siamese are wonderful. In fact I just love cats!!!! Any kind, any shape, any color and any size:D :D :D Even the great big ones, lions, tigers, but I think they're better off in the wild, my Panda's already tearing up my mattress:( I have pictures, figurines, stuffed animals, plates, place mats, towels, you name it of cats, cats and more cats. My house is appropriately named "The Bracken Cat House";) ;)

Logan
03-07-2002, 07:30 AM
Butter is definitely NOT my dream cat, but maybe one day he will be! :) I do think he is beautiful though, and I like his short hair and blue eyes.

Mimi, on the other hand, is a dream girl. So well behaved, never has been any problem (other than the fact that she hates any other cat, including Butter). I never had owned a long haired cat, and worried when the little six week old ball of fur came to live with us, but she has always done a terrific job of grooming herself and neither she nor Butter really have a bad shedding problem. Most of the shedding is done by their two canine siblings!! :p

I imagine it will be a long, long time before I ever have another cat, but when I do, it will be the type so many of you mentioned, the "free" kind, one that needs a home, and probably an adult. If I ever do get to "pick" one, which I have never been able to do before, I want one that will let me hold it like a baby and scratch its belly. Certainly can't do that with either one I have now, nor could I do that with my Shrimp Boat, when she was with me. :(

sirocco
03-07-2002, 09:10 AM
Well, that's a difficult question! I really love mutts (well, we all do :) ) but, why not? Let's dream...
I'd really love to have a Siamese by my side, and a very talkative one!! I love that! :D Siamese are supposed to be amusing and smart and demanding... yes, not a dull moment with one (or various ;) ) of those furkids in the household..
Another breed I've been told about and that arises my curiosity is the Burmese... can anyone tell me about them?
And I love the looks of the Blue cats family (British shorthair, Russian and Korat - I know they're different breeds with different origins, but they're ... blue!).
Ahh, and the green-eyed ones!

Nita

shais_mom
03-07-2002, 12:10 PM
I always did want a white persion but now that I have had a slightly long haired white cat, I know I don't really want a persion! But for now she is my Dream Cat!
http://www.photogra.com/galleries/35144/curr/5837964_20020307_130453_20020307130453.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2002, 12:21 PM
LOL, Zippy Cat. Yes, one that cleans its own litter box would be the best dream cat ever! :D

Pam, I don't know what to say about your daughter's cat and your grandson. I guess the only thing I can say is to take it slow. Hard to do with a baby, especially a toddler, but if they only have supervised visits until the Grandson is old enough to know how to treat/handle the cat, the cat might - stress *might* - get used to the grandson too. Hopefully it will work out!

auggie
03-07-2002, 07:30 PM
I'm nuts about Maine coon and Norwegian Forest Cats.
http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/2645417/2645417_37200280914PM0.2883962.jpg
http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/2645417/2645417_37200280913PM0.8378565.jpg

wayne0214
03-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Of course I enjoy any cat that cuddles in my lap. But I think that if I had to do it over again I would choose, (1) a male Abyssinian, (2) an Ocicat, (3) and a Bengal.

Right now I'm trying to domesticate a feral tabby whom I have named "Zebra Girl". She is a very beautiful cat, on gray with black stripes which closely resemble a zebra.'s stripe patterns. Although now she comes inside for the night, she doesn't get along with the other furkids, but emits this low level growl when ever any others gets too close to her. Here lately however, she allowes me to pet her which is some progress over a month ago.

Sirocco, I have a green-eyed blue (part) Abyssinian, she is a beautiful cat. but a little short on the affections, unless, it is done on her terms. Typical female Aby, she is not a lap cat.

..........wayne:)

Former User
03-09-2002, 03:05 AM
Spencer, that picture and cat are breath taking! Makes me want one ;) I actually want a cat exactly like Noah!!! :) Later maybe, when we get to move to our own house and have more room, we will definitely take more cats (2 more I think). Don't tell my husband... LOL

shais_mom
03-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Do you think today's cat has some Maine Coon in her?
I forgot to mention that when it comes to Mutt Mix kitties I would love to have a calico or a black kitty.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-11-2002, 03:06 PM
I would say that yes, she has some Maine Coon in her. She looks relatively large, so I would say she maybe has a lot of Maine Coon in her. I believe Peanut has Maine Coone in her and Bonnie looks a lot like Peanut - but bigger.

gwen021399
03-12-2002, 09:29 AM
my dream cats are:

1) an orange and white tabby...I think they are the cutest!
2) a maine coone...I had one when I was a little girl that got really sick and died. I would love to have another one. They are so big and fluffy and great to cuddle with.
3) a Saimese cat. I have a male cat that is part Saimese, but would love to have one that is pure bred. :p

wolflady
03-12-2002, 05:21 PM
This is a good question! Of course I love all cats and those "heinz 57" or "mutt" cats will always be my favorite...because they're all so unique. I love lap cats. But, if I were to choose a specific pure breed cat, I would say siamese too. With those piercing blue eyes and that ticked fur...they're so striking. I think the ragdolls and maincoons are beautiful too. Hard decision! LOL LOL
Like AmberLee said to me that day we saw all the rescue cats looking for a home at the cat show we attended, it's a good thing I don't drive a van, because I probably would have brought them ALL home if I had the means! LOL LOL

colecooncats
03-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum... My girl Candy was the COTD on March 7, 2002! Thanks to all who were so nice and complimentary!

We have 4 Maine Coons who are PURRmanent residents of our home. 3 Maine Coon kittens who will be leaving us soon <SOB> and we also have 2 DLH cats and 2 DSH cats.

I adore Maine Coons... They are smart, playful, furry and cuddly, come in assortment of beautiful colors, and have wonderful temperaments. I like BIG cats too!

For all who would like to see our cats and kittens please visit us at: http://mainecoons.org/colecoons/

My hobby is digital photography and my favorite subjects are my kitties, I post at least 15 pictures a day at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colecoonmccats/

Hope to meet lots of new friends...
Carm, Puffy, Sunny, Moony, Furby, Candy, Tommy, Rainbow Joy & Pride (Mac, Lovey & Peace-the kittens who are going soon)

AvaJoy
03-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Wow . . . what a fun topic!

My favorite breeds include the Ragdoll - but I would deeply resent paying the big bucks only to discover that he/she is not living up to its docile reputation:mad: There is no guarantee, and the previous posts are proof of that . . . the Birman is very similar aesthetically, but don't know their predispositions . . . as if they would necessarily hold true. . . :rolleyes:

I also love the Bengal and Somali (looks like a fox), but they are reputed to be very active breeds and since I am partial to calm lap cat personalities, I realize it is best to just admire from afar!:eek:

Snowshoes and swirl marble (or "classic" tabbies) are also up there on my dream list, but ultimately it seems the cat that chooses you is always the best bet! :)

Edwina's Secretary
03-13-2002, 09:35 AM
I love the look of the Devon Rex and the Sphinx cat. However, I made the mistake of reading about the woman who developed the Devon Rex breed and how she did it. I won't go into details but it haunts me.

I've always told Edwina she is a British Shorthair, my husband calls her an alley cat. In any case, I like a rescue cat.

sasvermont
03-20-2002, 01:11 PM
At the moment, I have two purebred cats and the cat before that was also purebred, but all others were Shelter cats. I can't say that I prefer either group - both have positive and negative points. I admire those folks who get their pets from the shelters or friends and do a rehoming thing. There are just so many unwanted pets out there in this world. But there are also lots of kids who aren't wanted as well, but that's another story and a heart breaker for sure.

I love Abys - as one might guess, but I also like Nor. Forest cats and Maine Coon cats..... and well, all cats! Don't care much for the hairless ones. They give me the willies!

There have been some wonderful cats of the day since I joined this forum and I have spent the time to go back to previous cats of the day too.

My next cat might be a Samali - long hair version of the Aby. We shall see.

purrley
03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
UMMMM one of those "Mashed My Face Into The Side of a Housecat, Cat:D :D . Made me think of Andy - my daughter's Cream and White Persion Flat Faced baby now at the RB. The one and only cat that I really didn't like, sad to say, but he sure loved her!!!! Guess that's why:D :D

AvaJoy
03-20-2002, 08:31 PM
So Spencer . . . can we assume that you brought them both home with you??;) ;)

AvaJoy
03-20-2002, 09:42 PM
YESSSSS! Two more now have a chance . . . way to go, Chuck . . . and welcome back!!! :) :D

AvaJoy
03-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Hi Ariesrising! Welcome to Pet Talk!:) Your kitty is just precious . . . and 16 years old! . . . does she have a name? I didn't notice any name on your website . . . the photo of her all laid out and comfy makes her look like she is wearing a jacket of tabby, buttoned in the front . . . so cute!:D Thanks for sharing!

AvaJoy
03-21-2002, 09:53 PM
I am delighted to meet your acquaintance, Spice! So enjoyed all of your pics, and hope to hear all about your spicey antics!:eek: Remind your Meowmie to submit your belly-up pic to COTD . . . I think it is darling and I bet you might be chosen . . . you are so cute!! Lily (blue tabby) is not quite as old as you, but she very well may be . . . she was a stray so we can only estimate . . . she bristles at being called "cute" at her advanced age . . . I hope you aren't as touchy about these things as she is, because I don't mean to offend . . . :D

purrley
03-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!! and your Spicey is cute as a bug. You'll enjoy it here and we'll be looking for your posts;)

lbaker
03-22-2002, 06:59 AM
Wecome ariesrising and YOU GO PRETTY SPICE GIRL aren't you something:D But I couldn't see the picture of Gabe, the ragdoll :( What is a ragdoll :confused: I've had cats (and dogs) my whole life and never heard of a ragdoll...

purrley
03-22-2002, 07:01 AM
Ibaker - a Ragdoll is a very furry kitty that looks like a Siamese;)

lbaker
03-22-2002, 07:08 AM
ahhhh. My mom & I used to have Siamese when I was young (waaaay back in the olden days :o ) and I loved them. My mom did have a friend, however, that couldn't stand to visit if the cat was in the room because the friend would scream out "he's turning his eyes red at me!! " :eek: which of course would make me howl laughing at the silly goose woman :D :p Laurie

lynnestankard
03-22-2002, 07:31 AM
Welcome Ariesrising -to the best Pet Talk place to be. And your adorable furlady Spice is beautiful - I really enjoyed looking at her pics. I 2nd Avajoy - send her belly-up pic. to COTD. It's adorable.
Please give her a couple of nose kisses from me xxx Thanks

Lynne:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Welcome Ariesrising. :) I love your avatar of Spice. Just by that little picture you can tell she has quite the personality. :rolleyes:

My Tubby (black one in avatar) will be 16 this summer, so he has something in common with Spice. He has slowed down a bit, but is still quite a guy for his age, and it looks like Spice is still quite a gal too. :) She's adorable. :)

shais_mom
03-22-2002, 11:33 PM
Welcome to our Family!
Your cat, Spice is beautiful. I love the picture of her on her back also. :D
I am mom to a almost 2 year old long haired white kitty and a 6 mos old golden retriever puppy. You can check my pics out by clicking on my webshots link in my sig.
I hope you enjoy our site!;)

Kater
04-08-2002, 12:36 AM
Birman, Norwegian Forest Cat, Russian Blue, Havana (are these VERY rare? thats what I've heard....does anyone have one?), Bombay, Ocicat, Chartreux, Snowshoe, Bengal, Tonkinese! Hows that for a list!? :eek:

The Cat Factory
05-06-2002, 03:35 AM
I don't exactly have a "dream breed", but I would love to own a Sphynx, because they are soooo cute!!! Another one I'd like to own is another Bengal. We have 1 marble brown tabby bengal named Majesty. And, I can't forget the Siberian Cat...I love every single breed out there!

I_love_cats
06-14-2002, 09:42 AM
I have three cats now but I am not planning getting anymore cats right now but in the feature I'll be looking for my dream breed. Russian Blue is my next cat, I see them at my Humane Society a few times. Alot of Russian are very affectionate and soo friendly. They can be great lap kitties.

SANDY FROST
06-30-2002, 11:33 PM
IF I didn't have Bengal cats. It would be Main Coons because they
are so cool.
SANDY F4ROST

lil.kitty.kizzez
07-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Lucky me, I already have my dream breed! My only cat, Sapphire, is a ragdoll! She's so talkative, sweet, and affectionate. I would love a cream-colored kitten though, preferably w/ shorthair, as Sapphire does shed quite a bit! :)

krazyaboutkatz
07-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Here's the order of cat breeds I'd like to have some day:
1. Abyssinian
2. Main Coon
3. Ragdoll
4. Cream colored cat of some kind
5. Orange colored cat of some kind
6. Russian Blue
7. Bengal
8. British Short Hair
9. Norwegian Forest Cat
10. Tuxedo Cat

I really love all cats though so it would really be a hard decision.

:)

baygayce
07-24-2002, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone,
For a few years, I wanted a Ragdoll. No breeder would sell me just one because they didn't want the kitten to be alone all day (I work full-time) and I had no other pets. I only wanted 1 cat. So I ended up adopting my Siamese/tabby mix breed from a local shelter. He is a great cat--quite a personality! Now I've seen some new breeds that look interesting, like the York Chocolate and the Norwegian Forest cat. Siberians are beautiful too. All of these breeds are supposed to be very friendly!:)