PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of

GoldenLuv
08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
this and is it true

http://caninecuties.com/ffrdogfooduck.htm

AllAmericanPUP
08-24-2005, 01:27 AM
yes its true but thats the junk that is in low quality foods like the stuff you find at the grocery store(ol roy, kibbles n bits, gravy train, aplo, com n get it, old yeller, etc. etc.)

GoldenLuv
08-24-2005, 02:18 AM
well what kind would you suggest i wanna put my dog's on t he best and something that is not gonna bark at them when they take a bite of it

Suki Wingy
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Royal Canin
www.royalcanin.us

IRescue452
08-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks. This is a good article I an use when I try to explain this to people. I've never heard of the freeze dried veggie/vitamin packets you mix with meat at home for you pets. That's basically what I'm trying on Autumn.

JenBKR
08-24-2005, 10:59 AM
I feed Roscoe Bil Jac...I have heard it's a good brand and it's just about the only kind he'll eat!

Dixieland Dancer
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Saddly, It's very true! There are many good foods on the market today though that are quality foods. You need to learn how to read the labels and determine what is good and what is not. I use Innova for Dixie and California Natural for Dusty due to allergies. California natural is a single meat protein.

Some other good food in addition to what is mentioned in the article and above would be Wellness products.

Two words of caution when switching to a higher quality food for your dog... 1. Go slowly. Never just switch cold turkey as this can cause gastrointestinal problems for the dog. 2. Be prepared for the dog to blow coat major big time after about 3 weeks to a month when weaned completely on the new food. This happens because of better nutrition and the toxins from lesser quality foods needing to eliminate from the dogs system. The results though are superior healthy coat when it grows back in!

Kosy
08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I feed my crew Wellness SuperMix, mixed with Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato.

The debate will rage on forver as to what is "the best food" for your dog. When all is said and done, the best is what he oshe likes, and thrives on. While I like the wholesome ingredients in Wellness, my heart dog, a German shepherd dog named Fletch, ate Purina Dog Chow his whole life and was healthy to the end. Go figure.

luvofallhorses
08-24-2005, 12:02 PM
What irks me the most that when you take your beloved pet to be pts, they send them to an area and chop them up and put them in dog or cat food. :mad: From now on, I am going to let my pet die naturally. It is just saddens me. :( You think some vets would care. What is this world coming to?!?! :(

G.P.girl
08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
yeah we always read the ingredients when we're buying food for Batman...i swear, he has healthier food then I do. :o

G.P.girl
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Also the brand from Costco, (Kirkland i think) is supposed to be really really good. cause i guess they have a contract which this good dog food company that a lot of breeders and show dog people use ( i forget what they're called...diamond something maybe?) so its the same expensive yummy food for a waay cheaper price

wolfie
08-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by luvofallhorses
What irks me the most that when you take your beloved pet to be pts, they send them to an area and chop them up and put them in dog or cat food. :mad: From now on, I am going to let my pet die naturally. It is just saddens me. :( You think some vets would care. What is this world coming to?!?! :(

That might just be an urban legend...

But you could always have them cremated when they pass on.

luvofallhorses
08-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
That might just be an urban legend...

But you could always have them cremated when they pass on.

Well, ya never know, I was just saying :)

Uabassoon
08-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
Also the brand from Costco, (Kirkland i think) is supposed to be really really good. cause i guess they have a contract which this good dog food company that a lot of breeders and show dog people use ( i forget what they're called...diamond something maybe?) so its the same expensive yummy food for a waay cheaper price

When I adopted Tibby the lady at the shelter suggested Kirkland brand, she said it was the exact same formula as Science Diet and about half the price. I've never checked the labels so I don't know if it's true or not, but just wanted to let you know that I've heard the same thing.