PDA

View Full Version : Training Question & Other ??'s

GoldenLuv
08-23-2005, 07:43 PM
I got a call from the vets office earlier today saying that they were not gonna be doing any training through them any more.. So I am gonna have to train gracie myself cause there are no training places around here now my question is what's the best book to read up on for training and where can i get one of those treat bags that i see people have clipped on the side of their pants...

I was so looking forward to gracie going to OB class so that she could be around other doggies..

Also there is a place here that is a doggie daycare and I was wondering do you all think that it would be good for her to go one day a week to this place...

animal_rescue
08-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Doggie Day Care sounds like a great idea! Take a look around and ask the people questions, make sure it's a good place first, as for the treat bags I'm pretty sure there are some at Petsmart, and the book I'm not sure I usually figure out my own tenique of training if I have trouble I look it up on the internet.

HollywoodNVegas
08-23-2005, 08:32 PM
It is wonderful that you are interested in training your dog yourself. There are several very good books on the market that can help, including "Dog Training For Dummies." I am an obedience instructor, so I would like to offer some things to think about.

1) Doggie Daycare is a great idea. It keeps your dog very social with other dogs.

2) At home training is good and bad. If you only train your dog while you are home, without any real distractions, your dog will only be trained at home. It is a misconception that no matter where you train your dog, your dog will be good wherever they go. To keep a good balance, train at different locations - pet stores, parks, etc. - or join a group class at an obedience school or petstore (Petco or Petsmart).

Good luck :-)

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Holluwoodnvegas is right, try to alternate places to train, parks, other peoples houses, pet stores etc...
Do you have other friends with dogs? Train in front of their dogs, or get together & have your own little training sessions.

I think the doggy day care is great, especially if your not able to participate in a class.

Target has the treat bags, for $4something. Petstores have them too, but usually a bit more expensive.