PDA

View Full Version : Raining cats and dogs - your part of the country?

sirrahbed
08-23-2005, 06:35 PM
I was just chuckling over Donna "moosmom" thread about underwear in a snit :D and the fact that the expression has different versions depending on where we live. (panties in a knot, knickers in a twist)

So, do you have a version of the expression "raining cats and dogs" - meaning raining really hard.. in your area? Is it any different?

DJFyrewolf36
08-23-2005, 06:40 PM
John told me that in Arizona they used to call heavy rains Frog Stranglers because the flash flooding would hit so quick it would kill frogs! :eek:

In Nevada if it rains heavy, most of us just stand around looking confused going "What the H**L?" lol

And at least my variant of Knickers in a knot (Mom loves that phrase lol) is "Panties in a twitch"

Samantha Puppy
08-23-2005, 07:02 PM
I know the phrase "raining cats and dogs" but I don't know that I've ever heard anyone actually say it in conversation outside of my elementary school teachers! LOL Usually someone just exclaims "Holy $hit, look at the rain!" or "Damn, that's comin' down hard isn't it?"

As for the 'underwear in a snit' variation for my area - it's "panties in a bunch", as in ":rolleyes: Geez, don't get your panties in a bunch!" :)

carole
08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Nope same expression here raining cats and dogs, and that is exactly what it is doing here today,:(

luvofallhorses
08-23-2005, 09:27 PM
I have never heard of "underwear in a snit" LOL like SamanthaPuppy said, it's underwear in a bunch, here.

It's raining cats and dogs here!!! :) I love it!!! :D

jazzcat
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
It's just "raining cats and dogs" around here. "Panties in a wad" is more the saying here or sometimes it's "drawers in a wad" (said like doors with an r after the d). I guess that is more the redneck saying. :p

kittycats_delight
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
raining cats and dogs...well in newfoundland I always heard my grandmother use...it's "pelting out of the heavens" and another one I have heard recently here in Ontario is "the heaven's have opened up".

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-24-2005, 03:18 AM
We say: it is raining pipe-stems!!!

n Dutch: Het regent pijpestelen!

ParNone
08-24-2005, 07:05 AM
I don't know if they use this in the rest of Texas, but down here in Houston, where we have Gullys and Bayous vs Creeks and Rivers, we'll say a big rain is a "Gully Washer".

Par...

Pawsitive Thinking
08-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Yeah - we call it "Summer" (eh Killearn Kitties?)

Killearn Kitties
08-24-2005, 07:46 AM
:D We do indeed. Not much point getting your knickers in a twist when the heavens open and it rains cats and dogs!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-24-2005, 07:47 AM
LOL!

sirrahbed
08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/ROFL.gif

We have several PT'ers who are in the family way, with child - you know, they have a bun in the oven. Sometimes we all have to be excused to follow the call of nature and visit the ladies room (or mens room). Sometimes we may have woken up on the wrong side of the bed, feel under the weather and might even have to run like the dickens to the ladies room to toss our cookies or lose our lunch:eek:

I hope ya'll keep talking about language, silly and interesting phrases (http://www.phrases.org.uk/) and the whole nine yards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/ROFL.gif

Samantha Puppy
08-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Yep, I done got knocked up. :D

ROFL

Sonia59
08-24-2005, 08:11 AM
For the rain, we say "it's raining ropes", or cords, I don't know what's the best word to translate. But more commonly in the North of France and Belgium, we just say: oh, no! Week-end has started!!! :rolleyes: Isn't it Lut?

sirrahned
08-24-2005, 08:14 AM
I heard that in old Europe houses were built with straw roofs. For some reason cats and dogs like to go up on these roofs. When it rained REAL hard these cats and dogs would literally fall through the roof.

Thus the saying the saying, "Raining Cats and Dogs"...

sirrahbed
08-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Yep, I done got knocked up. :D

ROFL

So the rabbit died?;)

sirrahned
08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
I am from the DEEP South and we have a million of them. Some of my favorites are:

"It is raining like a cow Pi$$ing on a flat rock"
Translation: It's raining REAL Hard

"It will be a bad day at black rock"
Translation: It will be a REAL bad day

"Keep your shirt on"!
Translation: Be patient

"The cows are walkin' the fence"
Translation: It's fixin' to rain

"It's a comin up a cloud"
Translation: Shute! it's a'fixin ta rain
Translation to the translation: Oh my gosh it is about to rain!

My Southern Grandmother's favorite saying:
"If en the Lord let's me live"
Translation: If I live until tomorrow, that's what I'll do

My Southern Grandmother's second favorite saying:
"Lordy, Lordy"
Translation: Gosh I am tired today

My Southern Grandmother's third favorite saying:
"Yall have fun with your new playpurty now"!
Translation: You guys have fun with your new toy now!

And my dad was always saying he was going to do stuff when he got around to it If you need to do stuff here's what you need. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/temp/image11.gif

"Yall Come Now He ya"
Translation: "Please come back and see us at another time"

"How's MOM EN NEM?"
Translation: How is everyone at home?

"NUF for now"!!!
Translation: That is enough for now!!

sirrahned
08-24-2005, 09:21 AM
"Don't get your bowels in an uproar"
1950's translation: Don't get so excited about it
1970's translation: Cool it man
1990's translation: OH DADDDDDDD!!! (as stated by an exasperated daughter)

"I speck I reckon"
Translation: I suppose

"ah huh"
Translation: Yes, of course I heard what you were saying!

"it's purt near"
Translation: It's very close to...

"mind your own beeswax"
Translation: Mind your own business!

cloverfdx
08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Lol "raining cats and dogs" here is usually "Pi$$ing down". And i wont go into the pregnancy ones :o.

IRescue452
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
It raining cats and dogs is familiar but we just say "its raining" or its "pouring buckets".
"Don't get your underwear in a bundle" and "Keep your socks on" are common around here.

Killearn Kitties
08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
"Keep your hair on" is the same as "don't get your knickers in a twist" here. Do other people use that?

We use "keep your shirt on" as well.

DJFyrewolf36
08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
My roomate's dad has a phrase "Phoned it in"
Translation: Someone did a really cruddy job or a product was really shoddy. I guess it comes from people passing the buck and calling someone else to do thier work for them.

"They really phoned it in on that construction project!"

carole
08-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Ah HA this does make one giggle, we use the term off to the Loo or the Dunny (toilet ) down under, also a rather uncivilised term when one is pregnant up the duff, or a bun in the oven.

One thing I noticed in America when one did not understand what another was saying they would use the expression 'excuse me" if you used that here it would be to move past someone in your way or to excuse yourself from the table.:)

killearns Kitties we use all that terminology here, but then we have a lot of British influence in Aotearoa.;)

Here are some other's used in NZ.

Good as Gold= meaning things are going well.

Rattle your dags= a farming term meaning to hurry yourself along.

Smoko- short break from work for morning or afternoon cup of tea or coffee and maybe a ciggy (no longer allowed in NZ) smokefree now. yahoo!!!!