PDA

View Full Version : Breakthrough in stem cell research....

carole
08-23-2005, 06:27 PM
This is very exciting news for me, and I know will be for many others as well.

A team of Texan and British researchers say they have produced large amounts of embryonic like stem cells from the umbilical cord blood, potentially ending the ethical debate affecting stem cell research.- the need to kill human embryos.

Of course there is a lot more research to be done yet, and it will be years away to know if it will work.

This is exceptionally promising to people with Parkinsons, Alzheimers etc, for me having the hereditary disease Huntingtons Chorea in my family (for those of you who are not familar with it, it has been described as suffering from Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy and Alzheimers all in one) this indeed is promising, people like Kelly with Crohns disease, paraplegics etc etc could well benefit from stem cell research as well.

NoahsMommy
08-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Wow, Carole...

I have to admit that I'm not sure how I feel about stem cell research, but I DO feel its better to use the cord blood vs. embryos.

I hope many people can be helped because of this. :)

carole
08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Kelly if this works that will take away the controversy surrounding Stem Cell research, I for one am all for it, just think there could be a cure out there soon for Crohns and much more, it is very hopeful and all good IMO.