PDA

View Full Version : Horse Help

CarrieB
08-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I have never owned a horse before, but I might get a chance to buy one soon (I have to wait for my dads answer). I am 15 years old. If I ever did get a chance to own one, what would be the best kind for a beginner? What age would be best? I AM taking lessons so I will know the basics on grooming feeding, riding both styles, ect. I will probably do western but I don't know for sure.

Thanks!! :D

IRescue452
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Well, horses live a long time so would you want to start out with a youngster or an adult? Even a 20 year old horse can still be a good riding horse and companion for ten more years. Be realistic, when you think about where your life is going to be in several years do you see still having a horse. There are a few horses that need to be adopted in the Oregon area. You'll want one that's gone through training and has had a younger handler. This one is young but has already gone through quite a bit of training with a young handler http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4194446&adTarget=&SessionID=430ba02a566607e7-app4&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
It may take a while to find te horse that's right for you so be patient.

buttercup132
08-23-2005, 07:23 PM
im 15 and have one have you thought about the cost and stuff like if something suddenley happens the BIG vet bills and the cost of board saddlery ect and can you ride him all the time if so then id hire a trainer to teach you that stuff

equinelover23
08-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Oh it's so exciting. :D :D

Breed wise... well.. how tall are you? :D I loooveee haflingers and welsh crosses, but if your tall... Maybe a quarter horse? Appys are fantastic, too. :)

dreamhorse.com has great horses, or at least you could look on there to see what your interested in. :)

CarrieB
08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
I am about 5'3-5'4.. I think.

DesertArabian
08-24-2005, 09:29 AM
It would be best if you could lease a horse first before going out and purchasing one. By leasing a horse you get a feel for horse ownership with out the expense that comes a long with it. Usually the bills are split between the leasers- so you only have to pay a small amount for farrier bills, vet bills, etc. Owning a horse is a HUGE commitment/responsibility and far from "cheap".

Here is a good little article about leasing horses http://www.equisearch.com/novice/guide/leasing061499/

Suki Wingy
08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
or shareboard, that's what I did. I would also say Quarter horse or cross, that's what I started out on.