PDA

View Full Version : Dampers

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 07:46 AM
I know this may a bit sad for some and I'm sorry if it is, no need to reply if you don't want to.

When you think of what item/person/place which puts the biggest damper on your spirits?

Mine is the west coast. Everytime I think about the past when I was there or see pictures or hear stories I feel so empty, sad, jealous, just blah.

Cataholic
08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Hmmm....nothing really puts dampers on me. While some things **could**, I tend to avoid them- whether it is people, places or things.

The older I get, the more I realize I control my happiness- not other things, people or places. For me, it is usually just a matter of adjusting my attitude. Which is good, cause most of the time, you can't change people, places or things.

Just my perspective. :)

DJFyrewolf36
08-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Cataholic...I admire your perspective! Attitude is everything because its impossible to change a lot of whats going on around you. There are are a lot of things you can control though, and I always like to focus on the things I can change rather than focusing my energy on being sad about the things I can't. Its really hard at times though.

There are a lot of things that make me sad though...things I can't change or fix but I try anyway because I'm a healer at heart. I hate to see people unhappy, though sometimes trying to make people happy ends up being a major pain in my behind and not even worth it in the end. I'm not sure what makes me more upset...the fact that my efforts weren't apriciated or the fact that I failed in helping someone.

Yeesh, sorry to blather :p

moosmom
08-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Very good attitude Johanna and DJ!! Everyone is a master of their own happiness. Some days are good, some days not so good. The Serenity Prayer helps me alot. It helps me to realize what I can and cannot change and gives me the wisdom to know the difference.

When I drove to CT, it was the best vacation I could've asked for in a long time. When I got home, I was VERY sad. Could've been because the vacation was over, or because I realize how much I miss all my friends and my daughter. Don't know. But it did pass, as most things do.

I put things in two categories. Hurdles/inconveniences or life altering. It really helps make my life a little easier.

beeniesmom
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
I get sad when I think of Italy.... I miss it terribly.

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Hmmm....nothing really puts dampers on me. While some things **could**, I tend to avoid them- whether it is people, places or things.

The older I get, the more I realize I control my happiness- not other things, people or places. For me, it is usually just a matter of adjusting my attitude. Which is good, cause most of the time, you can't change people, places or things.

Just my perspective. :)
Great attitude and I also try to live that way.
I wasn't talking about changing things though, and not something that makes you very sad, just a little off, like your heart sinks briefly or the like.

Like I used to live on the west coast & when I see pics of out there, or hear stories or think about the past my heart just sinks a tiny bit. I miss it. My heart rises again shortly after as I know someday my time will come again & I will live out there again, but for the time being. Its hard to avoid it, like when I see pics of people here that live out there and the beautiful scenery is in the background, etc...

Thats why I called it a damper, cause its a hard to describe the feeling, its not really sad or empty or lonely or mad, just makes me feel a little off.

If you can not feel that way about anything than by golly KUDOS to you. You are one great person! Can you tell me your secret?