PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Poop...

Lobodeb
08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Does anyone have any home remedies for loose stools?

You may recall that Maggy was hospitalized last month from what the vet thinks was gastritis. Well, last week, she got sick again, vomiting and diarrhea. We put her back on Amoxil and she's is recovering nicely with the exception of loose bowels. It's not really runny, but they're not as firm as they should be and then once she passes there is a little bit of drippage. (Sorry if this is TMI).

Is there something I can give her to firm up the doo-doo?

king2005
08-22-2005, 05:02 PM
When my dog was ill the vet said Pepto bismol every other day. Cause when used daily it causes constapation.

BUT check with ur vet first, for proper dosage & just incase shes too small, old, sick or weak to take it.

We just put it ontop of his food & he loved it.

anna_66
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Bon used to have problems with loose stools and I was told using a little canned pumpkin would work. And it really did!
You don't have to use much either.

Giselle
08-22-2005, 08:33 PM
You can also give some organic yogurt. Be sure the "L. Acidophilus" is on the ingredients label. This is a good bacteria and will help firm up the poop. Trust me, I had to use it ;)

Also, Anna's right. Pumpkin is greyt for firming up poo, but just be sure you don't get the pumpkin pie filling. That stuff has so much sugar and other artifical flavors and colorings, it will upset Maggies' stomach even more.

In the meantime, Maggie should be on a bland diet of plain boiled chicken and rice and lots of water. Give her a tummy rub and Pepto if need be. Lucky's has had plenty of bouts of the Big D. I just do a little fasting or put him on a bland diet. By tomorrow, he's good as new.

Lobodeb
08-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!

K9karen
08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm sorry, but the "Pepto" suggestion had me roaring! When Cody was a pup, and had an upset tummy, the vet said to use Pepto. Well, I bought the liquid. not the pills, and being a spunky little boy, let's just say I wound up with Pepto all over me, my hair and the floor. I never did get any into him, but thankfully he was OK the next day. I, on the other hand, had to take a nice hot shower!!!
Hope Maggie is better now and the other suggestions really work.

4 Dog Mother
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry, but the "Pepto" suggestion had me roaring! When Cody was a pup, and had an upset tummy, the vet said to use Pepto. Well, I bought the liquid. not the pills, and being a spunky little boy, let's just say I wound up with Pepto all over me, my hair and the floor. I never did get any into him, but thankfully he was OK the next day. I, on the other hand, had to take a nice hot shower!

Oh, Karen, that made me laugh so hard! And boy did I need that laugh! Thanks!!!

I have given my dogs pepto TABLETS also to firm up loose stools!

BitsyNaceyDog
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I keep a can of Hill's i/d on hand for when that happens. It's a very mild dog food formulated to help dogs with sensitive stomaches and it help well with loose stool.

pitc9
08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
:D Karen, I am laughing my butt off!! Now THAT would have been funny to see!!
Buddy used to have that problem also, Pepto CAPLETS ( :p ) or rice always did the trick!!