PDA

View Full Version : Is my plan in action?

MariaM
08-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Well, I'll try to keep this short as possible, and get to the point, as I know nobody likes to read anything really long.

So. Last night the unthinkable happened.
Well, remember when I had posted Major slept in the old farmhouse with me at our farm? Well that has happened twice this summer and those are the first two times he's ever slept inside. Well, Major was barking a LOT and howling, and we don't know why. It woke my dad and mom up multiple times and even I couldn't sleep that well. Usually if he barks a few times during the night we don't hear him, unless its a night like last night.

That happened one other time, but it was about last May. Major howled forever, my dad came upstairs and told me around 2:30, even though I already knew, so I went downstairs and brought him in the kitchen for abour 45 minutes and played with him. When I let him back outside, he was for the most part quiet. I tried sleeping on the couch but it didn't work so I went on the computer until I had to get ready for school. What a day that was.

Last night, my mom came up at 3:30 and was pretty angry at me. Well, I knew what I was doing this time and there was nobody to stop me! I got a sheet and brought Major in, put him on his leash and attempted to fall asleep on the kitchen floor. It was hard, sorry for the pun.

I was having a horrible, horrible time. I went and found a crappy pillow and that helped. Major kept wanting to explore lol. Well eventually I did fall sleep, but I had to keep re-positioning myself because it was SO uncomfortable. I even dreamed lol, but right now I can't remember what it was.

So. He's slept inside twice at the farm, and now once at home. I want to get our tent home and sleep with him outside for a few nights yet this summer.

As for the barking, it's a win-win situation. If he quits, great. If he starts doing it regularly, hopefully I can get a foam pad and sleep with him in the kitchen. That is my plan, and I hope I can accomplish it by winter.

The first year I had him, no going inside. When it came winter, he was allowed into the kitchen area only, whenever I wanted (except when there was food out) as long as I was with him in the kitchen keeping him occupied. Usually that happened morning, after school and evening.

Now, hopefully this winter I can get us to sleep in the kitchen together. Every little bit helps! :) Also, there should be less noise and commotion, because my two oldest siblings are going to university soon, YES!

Wish me luck!!! Comments and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

P.S.
Last night he was so cute. Whenever I moved slightly, he got up, and then he would move a little closer to me and go down again, he was SO close to me. It made me feel really good because when I first got him he didn't like getting near people at all. He still doesn't like hugs, but the two nights at the farm house and last night he did get pretty close to me. Tonight he even put his face RIGHT next to me, twice. It was so cute, but I couldn't breathe lol. He moved it quickly though. :)
Sorry it was long.

lizbud
08-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Your idea sounds good.:) Maybe one day he could sleep in
your room for the night.:) It's a great feeling to see them lay
so close to your face when you're falling asleep isn't it? I love
the closeness feeling too. For nights on the kitchen floor you
could maybe use a sleeping bag or blankets for a little more
padding. Good luck with the plan.:D

MariaM
08-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes, if more nights are to come I will definitely do that. Last night I was in a bit of a rush though haha.
Well, tonight I am home alone, and I could just leave Major outside like normal. But I want to have another "sleeping session". So, I can't use blankets or a sleeping bag because then my mother will find out. (dog hair). So...I was thinking of putting a sheet on the futon in the basement and sleeping on there with him. But it is SO rebellious of me, and I fear getting caught, even though I don't see how I would. It's not urgent or anything...but I'd like to.

I would sleep outside, but we don't have the tent here yet. I'm thinking I'll just bring a blanket and sleep outside. (The ground is much softer than our kitchen floor!) Also, hoping it won't rain, I suppose I should check the weather. Ah, well I guess this was just an 'update'.

slleipnir
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Goodluck :) Major sure is lucky to have you. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't care and just leave him. You seem to be trying your best to please everyone. (IE, your parents not wanting him in, and major, and you) although, I hope it works out that he can come in (for your sake! lol)

jesse_3
08-22-2005, 04:30 AM
I have a question, what would Major do if he was either tied up or kenneled in the kitchen while unsupervised? Maybe that would work for everyone?

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing him next year!!!!!

Steph and Jes