PDA

View Full Version : English or western? (riding)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Thought this would be an interesting poll...do you prefer to ride english or western more?:) I prefer english over western, but I do like western too. You can do so much more with english though it seems...and I like it quite a bit better!;) Western's nice for more of relaxing though...(even though it's almost impossible to relax on the back of a horse! ha!) lol;) But anyways, what's your pick?:)

Lexi_Lover
08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Both for sure. I love to jump in english...have you ridden in a western saddle jumping! :eek: Let me give you some advice...DON'T DO IT! It'll leave a bruise and MAN it HURTS! :p LOL, good way to get outta school though! ;) Kept me out for 2 days...I'll tell ya that!

I do perfer english, but I could never CHOOSE...

luvofallhorses
08-20-2005, 08:06 PM
English! :)

Toby's my baby
08-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
Both for sure. I love to jump in english...have you ridden in a western saddle jumping! :eek: Let me give you some advice...DON'T DO IT! It'll leave a bruise and MAN it HURTS! :p LOL, good way to get outta school though! ;) Kept me out for 2 days...I'll tell ya that!

That sucks!! I jump in a western saddle all the time, doesnt bother me one bit, I guess it depends on what you are used too.

I prefer Western over English, I have never riden English before, I would like too soem day though. I have had many people tell me my horse would be an excelent english horse, but I dont know, i have been riding Western since i was 5 yrs old, so I think I will stick to it. :)

new mom to a veiled
08-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Old habits die hard, 27 years of western I suppose I'm hooked. I took one summer of english lessons. I don't mind jumping in a western saddle either. ;)

Suki Wingy
08-20-2005, 10:09 PM
English all the way. Riding a jumpy, frisky horse english gives you a rush like nothing else!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-20-2005, 10:15 PM
I like both but english is my favourite.

G.P.girl
08-21-2005, 05:40 PM
English all the way!! :D i've jumped in a western saddle before, and it didnt really bother me, but i dont really lean forward the same way, it's more up to get over the horn....if that makes any sense ;)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow, I didn't really know that it IS possible to jump in a western saddle!!:p I don't think I could do it...*ouch*;)

CagneyDog
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
LOL, good way to get outta school though! ;) Kept me out for 2 days...I'll tell ya that!

I do perfer english, but I could never CHOOSE...

Two days because you had a bruise?!

:p

Western for me.

flamepony12
08-21-2005, 10:14 PM
I ride/take lessons/compete in English, but I occasionally ride western, too. =]

English for me, though I like western too!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I now nothing about horses, so can anybody please explain the didderence between "English" and "Western" ?:D

equinelover23
08-22-2005, 10:39 AM
English all the way.. although I can't really say anything because I've never really ridden western. It doesn't really appeal to me, though. Well... except for the fringy chaps and brightly colored and sparkly outfits! :D

lv4dogs
08-22-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't ride much anymore but have riden both and prefer western, it's just more relaxed.

buttercup132
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
english, i go like 4 days riding english then one day western and my butt kills from trotting in the western saddle , i go to 2 facilities one where my horse is that i ride enlish at then the other i just go cuz my freind cant come to my one and ride and so we go trail riding and we cant canter or anytign just trot and that KILLS my butt hurts for days after:( so i have to say english

buttercup132
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
o and the difference between english and western is alot too many to list but i will the main points
-tack(saddle bridle stirrups ect ) are all different
the western saddle has a horn and some western sturrups dont let your feet out all the way only half way
-and the way you ride is totally diff
-western and english clothes are diff english you need special riding pants western you wear jeans
-english you wear a helmet, weatern you dont usually
here are pictures of a western and english tack you will see major difference
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/tackup.jpg
that is western
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/LithgowWishnik_head20was20wishheade.jpg
this is a english bridle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/rockee12331/basicsEnglishSaddle.jpg
and this is a english saddle although they come in different styles for tdifferent riding and stuff, oh and with english you can do show jumping and dressage and more horse activities im not sure if you can with western

*sled_dog*
08-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I have always done Western riding. I guess I have never tried English, but so many people that do like it alot!:p . I have ridden an Australian saddle before.:D

crsvstang
08-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Western, I feel more relaxed on a horse when I am riding western.

I did ride English for 2 years and it was ok. But I just never did ever feel real comforable.

lute
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
i don't ride very often, i wish i could ride more then i do. i prefer western. it's so much more relaxed.

Iilo
08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I haven't riden seriously in years, but I find english much more comfortable and relaxing than western.
I mean... You're so much _closer_ to the horse. Take a look at the english saddle and compare it to western... BIG difference. Plus I prefer english reigning to western. With English, on a good horse, it's as relaxing as a Sunday afternoon drive when gas prices weren't this high. You just have this pure... closeness with the horse. The horse and rider are all... the same. Mm.. I miss riding so much. :( Just no time. And with a bouncey green horse, hehe... it's just SO MUCH FUN!
I rode a pushbutton 6 year old after 4 years of riding a 20-some school horse. The 6yo was a thoroughbred (sp?)/ morgan cross. He was sooo much fun and at a canter you just felt like you were flying. .... Have I mentioned I miss riding?

cocker_luva
08-22-2005, 10:49 PM
english of course

http://www.montana.edu/commserv/csnews/images/articles/img200302211045853359.jpg

DesertArabian
08-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Western for me! I am more appealed to western-geared sports such as barrel racing, pole bending, cutting, roping, team penning, etc. I like the western life-style. I took 6 years of English lessons, I got sick and tired of it and switched over to Western- glad I made the change. I have been riding Western for 5 years now.

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Ooh, that's a pretty pic of you, Laura and...Jack??;) Is that your horse? He sure is beautiful!:)

DesertArabian
08-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Yes, that is my best bud Jack. No, I do not own him, I am just his caretaker at the camp. The camp is selling him however, and I might be purchasing him, but first I have to look at my finances- I do not think I will be able to because in November I am moving out of the house. He is in his late 20's/early 30's and just recently developed COPD/ heaves. :( Love him to pieces.

dab_20
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
i like western. i used to board a horse. she was a pure black arabian. i have never ridden english before.

lvpets2002
08-26-2005, 04:44 PM
:) I like western better & I as well feel more comfy..

joanofark
11-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread up, But I just have to say that I like Western Better.:)

cali
11-15-2005, 04:57 PM
I have ridden both, I difianly prefere western, I like being able to relax in the saddle, being able to control the horse with one hand,and not having to wear a helmet lol I dont enjoy things like dressage and jumping anyway I dont like the showiness and "proper" style of english, I just dont find that to be very fun at all.

HollandLoppy89
11-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I've only ridden western about 2 times in my life...So I guess I'm looking forward to seeing how it is and learning more...I've only ridden english so I guess I'll just put english down! :p

areias
11-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I grew up riding english-9 years of it, with only occasional western trail rides. Then I rescued my mare a year ago, she was western, and since then I've been riding western. I've even gotten into barrels and poles. I am thinking about retraining her in english, I just need an english saddle. I don't like western saddles as much, they don't put me in the position I feel comfortable in. But I like western horses better than I do English, they're fun and not completely neurotic.

So let's say a western horse in a english saddle. ;)

dab_20
11-15-2005, 06:37 PM
lol. as i said before, i have only ridden in western.

but i had a dream last night that i was riding in english. weird huh?

Suki Wingy
11-15-2005, 06:38 PM
my aunt did the opposite at first! I guess lots of people ride for relaxation and comfort, but I ride for my thrills! :D

Horse Lover
11-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I prefer English but I as long as i get to ride i dont really care :D ;) :D

Addie
11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
English all the way. Riding a jumpy, frisky horse english gives you a rush like nothing else!

Can't agree with you more!

Sweet Sixy
11-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Well......I"ve ridden both english and western for about 17 years. However, are we talking hunt seat english? At the moment I have a Tennessee Walker and prefer to ride Saddle Seat :D . I also am quite fond of riding side saddle.
I really only like to tack up western if I'm going to be doing barrel racing, which is usually about once a week.
I guess for me it depends on what we're doing that day....jumping, barrels or just some schooling!

Miss Z
11-20-2005, 03:26 AM
I've sort of ridden western on holiday before but it was one of those trail ride things so it didn't go past trot. I've always ridden english, since i was 4:) and i LOVE riding!!! Riding with a dressage saddle is tough on the legs though;)