PDA

View Full Version : My Dog just went Deaf...

XxEloraxX
08-19-2005, 09:27 PM
How do i get his attention?! Are there like certain things i can do to get him to kno im home or that im calling him from up stairs?

Scooby4
08-20-2005, 04:03 AM
Are you sure it is a permanent deafness? My dog Dirtnap had "nerve deafness". His hearing would come and go. The vet told me he could hear on occassion. It also helped that I cleaned out his ears with a q-tip. His ears were clogged soo badly I actually had to use ear wax remover and half pack of q-tips.:(
What type of dog is it? Deafness is a trait found in White dogs and Dalmations. Older White dogs for some reason get "deaf" sooner than other dogs. Dalmations are known to carry a "deafness" trait. So you may want to take this into consideration if thinking serious health issue is involved.
Deaf dogs can still live normal happy lives. They just have to be watched out or contained more. Some have taught "sign language" to their dogs if deafness is caught young. Vibrations or use of lights (like flash lights) may help in getting the dog's attention. The use of slow motions may be helpful as well. Fast movements will make the dog nervous.
All in all your dog should be okay and will find it's own way. You will be amazed at what they will teach you!!!:cool:

dab_20
08-29-2005, 11:11 AM
if your sure this is permanant deafness, you can look on the computer and look for ways to communicate with your dog. scooby4 is right, vibration is a good way to let you dog know your home. when he is sleeping dont touch him suddenly because that will startle him. just vibrate the floor by stomping. i have never had a deaf dog before, so i dont know much about it.

Good Luck

Bonny
08-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Have you had a veterinary check your dogs ears? I would do that first. I have a 14 year old dog that has lost a good part of his hearing. The vet said old age. When I take him out for walkies I generally take a stick along. I use the stick to get him to come. It is true the vibration from the stick works. I hit the ground with the stick or on trees in the woods or even on my shoes & he will come.:) Like pounding a broom handle on the floor would work. Best of luck to you & your dog. It is hell getting old