PDA

View Full Version : Threads and Dates...

popcornbird
08-19-2005, 06:45 PM
No no......this is NOT a thread about dating (LOL), nor is it a thread about eating fresh dates. :D I just noticed several threads here and there around Pet Talk that were started years ago.......and several people are responding, as if they think its a current thread. I don't know why this makes me chuckle, but I was wondering if you all usually check the date on the first post of a thread before responding? I usually do.......don't want to respond to a thread that's waaaaaaay too old. I bet the starter may not even remember the topic that's being discussed two years later. :D

This isn't something I've only noticed on PT.....I've noticed it on many boards, and I always find it funny. I guess I'm wondering why people would want to talk about something that happened years ago, but I *think* most people who do bump these threads up don't notice the date it was started.

So..............I guess the point of this thread is.....

Do YOU check the date a thread was started/being discussed on before responding, or do you respond to anything that might be 'bumped up'. without realizing its an OLD thread? :D

Uabassoon
08-19-2005, 06:51 PM
The other day there was a thread by me at the top of Cat General titled 'What kind of cat do you have?" For a second I freaked out because I didn't remember starting that thread! Then I opened it and realized it was a thread that I had made in 2002!

finn's mom
08-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I usually check the date. Unless it's in a thread about a pet passing away, I don't really think it matters. But, in that case, it can be a bit like opening an old wound. But, I don't guess I've noticed it too often in here. Hmmm...

lizbud
08-19-2005, 07:18 PM
A person would have to had "searched" for a thread and thus
know it was an older post, don't you think? :confused:

Anyway, yes I usually do look at the last posting date whether I
post or not.

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I usually check now but when I first joined I replied to a couple threads that were about 3 years old...lol

Cataholic
08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Just the other day, I was like, "how did I miss this thread"? and then realized I hadn't MISSED it, I had FORGOTTEN it...it was so old, and someone had just responded to it.

I don't know how it really happens...do they just go back and back and back?

I usually try to check the date first...usually. :p

sandragonfly
08-19-2005, 09:29 PM
I do! I'm like you, popcorn. as the days get ahead, the threads get older along with many old members fading away, yikes!

there was an old thread I read before, gosh, I only see one person I know out of 30 people! that thread was even made a year later after I joined...creepy. (lol)

what I would do, like I did my pet peeves (9th thread made here), hate to bring up, but at the same time, I didn't want them to think I'm invading their idea. so I just link them out for people who want to see while I can continue mine!

however, if a person brough it up as of today, and a few more respond to it, then I would go ahead and post. or just start new one myself. :)

gemini9961
08-20-2005, 03:54 AM
I check the dates myself. I think it's funny too when I see old thread get re-posted on.

IRescue452
08-20-2005, 11:01 AM
I check but sometimes I add a comment to the old threads that new people bring up.

Ginger's Mom
08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
No, a lot of times I do not check the date on the initial posting. So if someone bumps up a really old thread, I may respond to it. :o

As a matter of fact, when was this thread started?

Pam
08-21-2005, 07:07 AM
Pops, I am sometimes happy to see an old thread pop up because often I have missed it the first time around. :) I think many are started by new folks who have been reading through some of the old threads. For example, if you go to *Who's On Line* you can often see lots of guests viewing some really old posts. I think that's how some of them get brought back to life. :)

Randi
08-21-2005, 08:40 AM
I usually check the starting date before I reply. I have also recently noticed old threads appearing again - some are certainly worth having another look at, and some may even be relevant. :)