PDA

View Full Version : For those of you on antidepressants

JenBKR
08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok, I have been on Effexor for a little while, and was going to slowly go off of it. Our insurance changed, so I had to switch medications to Lexapro. For the past 2 days I have been going through withdrawal - sick to my stomach, my head feels foggy, I'm shaking, and incredibly thirsty. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2005, 01:41 PM
What was the "strength" of your Effexor? It is well-known that it gives lots of side-effects when you try to stop taking it... . There is a forum here in Dutch about it! I will try to find it back for you and see if I can translate something!
I took Effexor too, but it was law dosage (Effexor 75).

Good luck!!

JenBKR
08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I have heard of the side effects of going off, but my doctor said that Lexapro is pretty equal. I just talked to her and she told me that I should "only" feel this way for 2 weeks. Only?!? Yikes. I was on 150 mg, but about to go down to 75. I hate insurance companies!

Prairie Purrs
08-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Effexor has nasty withdrawl symptoms--I experienced the same thing once when I couldn't afford to refil the prescription and wasn't able to taper off slowly. It's very common to suffer the symptoms you describe if you stop taking it too abruptly.

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2005, 02:08 PM
I found it! You can find a lot about this on Google, just type in the words "Stop with Effexor".

Here is what I found so far:

What happens when I stop using EFFEXOR XR?
Symptoms are known to occur when people stop using EFFEXOR XR, especially when they suddenly stop therapy.

When people suddenly stop using EFFEXOR XR, they can get symptoms from stopping the medicine too fast. Some of these symptoms include:

Agitation
Anxiety
Confusion
Diarrhea
Dizziness or vertigo
Dry mouth
Fasciculation (muscle twitching)
Headaches
Hypomania
Impaired coordination
Insomnia (trouble sleeping)
Loss of appetite
Nausea
Nervousness
Nightmares
Seizures
Sensory disturbances (including electric shock sensations)
Somnolence (sleepiness)
Sweating
Tinnitus
Tiredness
Tremor
Unpleasant mood
Vomiting

Do not stop taking EFFEXOR XR without talking with your doctor first. Your doctor may want to slowly decrease your dose of EFFEXOR XR to help avoid these kinds of symptoms.Stop as slowly as possible.

Cataholic
08-19-2005, 02:09 PM
All I know is that it is a 'step down' drug. You aren't supposed to just plain quit.

Wonder how the doctor would feel experiencing those symptoms for two weeks. :(

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2005, 02:13 PM
This is another forum! G and check it out; I am sure you can find lots of info here. It might be a good idea to register and post your question there.

http://www.thedoctorslounge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1013

Good luck!!!!!

moosmom
08-19-2005, 02:26 PM
JenBKR,

I was on Effexor for over 5 years. It is very powerful. Maya & Inka's mom hit the nail on the head with the symptoms. You're supposed to wean yourself off that kind of drug not just stop cold turkey or you'll "crash".

JenBKR
08-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Wow thanks for all your help guys. I can't believe all those symptoms, but I do have quite a few of them (although I'm not experiencing the loss of appetite - that one might do me good ;) )

JenBKR
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
OK, talked to my insurance company and they said that the pharmacy messed up and the insurance actually will cover my effexor - so I am getting a new prescription and can now go slowly off of it. Thank you guys so much for all of your help! :)

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Ive heard that the taper off thing is true for almost all anti depressants. I was taking Celexa for about a year and then I had to stop (insurance just stopped covering it) and I was feeling rotten for a month. I tried taking the generic Prozac stuff, and the symptoms from taking it were worse than the withdrawl from the Celexa!

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!

dogzr#1
08-19-2005, 06:28 PM
My mom has taken alot of antidepressants. The one she didn't like is Prozac. She tried to get off of it but she had vertigo and was very sick. Finally she got off of it and found one she liked. I don't know much about the ones she took or didn't like but I knew she DIDN'T like Prozac because she almost had to go to the hospital.

NoahsMommy
08-19-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm glad that got all straighten out with the insurance/pharmacy.

I'm on Celexa and notice a HUGE change after a hospital visit (lack of my normal medications). I don't like it at all. Weaning is much better for you.

carole
08-20-2005, 12:18 AM
I spent a short time about six months on Prozac and found it a complete wonder drug for me, I took myself off it, and had no withdrawal effects at all, the one thing I like about Prozac it only works on the part of the brain that needs it, but the one side effect that got me fed up was constant night sweats., so everyone is different, my experience with it was fantastic, I felt normal again, not hyped up, but how I should be feeling,and during that time I was able to get back on WWatchers and achieve weight loss, I would not hesitate to go back on it at any time in the future should I feel the need to.

king2005
08-20-2005, 12:41 AM
thats why when a walk in clinic dr. gave me a precription for thak kind of stuff I ripped it up & walked out.

I didn't even go in for depression, I went in for terrible pains in my chest & my heart feeling like it was gonna explode & feeling my heart rubbing against my ribs (it hurt & tickled at the same time).

some Dr.s r just stupid.

moosmom
08-20-2005, 11:01 AM
JenBKR,

Just recently I misplaced my bottle of Paxil. Talk about panicking!!! I had gone 3 days without taking it and started going through serious withdrawal, i.e., vertigo, fatigue, unable to concentrate, forgetfulness. I didn't know what I was going to do. I knew I had packed it when I went to CT and thought I saw it somewhere.

I finally found it on Wednesday night (by that time, I'm surprized I could drive home!!!) It's taken almost 3 days for me to finally kinda bounce back and not feel so tired and listless. I NEVER want to go through that again!!

dogzr#1
08-20-2005, 11:32 AM
That's weird, but hey everyones different. My mom has taken Webutrin (I know I spelled it wrong) and she liked it only one time she forgot to get the perscription filled in time and she didn't take it for a day. She felt miserable that day. I would like to see a medicine with NO side effects but that still does the same job as all of the ones you liked.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
JenBKR,

Just recently I misplaced my bottle of Paxil. Talk about panicking!!! I had gone 3 days without taking it and started going through serious withdrawal, i.e., vertigo, fatigue, unable to concentrate, forgetfulness. I didn't know what I was going to do. I knew I had packed it when I went to CT and thought I saw it somewhere.

I finally found it on Wednesday night (by that time, I'm surprized I could drive home!!!) It's taken almost 3 days for me to finally kinda bounce back and not feel so tired and listless. I NEVER want to go through that again!!

Paxil has a lot of withdrawal symptoms, I was on Paxil for several years and hated it (I'm now on Zoloft and don't really like it either, but for different reasons). The biggest and hardest thing I went through with Paxil withdrawal was anger, rage, and frustration.

carole
08-20-2005, 04:33 PM
My friend is on Paxil for Agrophobia etc, and she seems to be doing very well so far, she now can even go into town and shop and to the movies and out to eat, a far cry from the little circle she used to beable to venture out too.:)