PDA

View Full Version : Addingtons disease???

Queen of Poop
08-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Can anyone tell me about this? Has anyone experienced this in ferrets? Sebastian is on medication but he's just not having a huge improvement, it was suggested that perhaps he might have addingtons disease.

Scooby4
08-21-2005, 03:40 PM
I have a ferret and my father raised ferrets on and off over the years. I think I have heard of the disease your talking about but not familiar with it off hand. What are the symptoms? That may give a clue as to the cause or the right diagnoses. It could be an environmental change is needed to fix the issue.
Recently, I found out that Ferrets are the only animal that can actually catch colds from humans!:eek: My ferret had a cold and I got one after handling it.:( The good news is there are over the counter medications for cold symptoms in ferrets available.:)
By the way, have you had any problems with fleas with your ferret? I can't get mine to STOP getting fleas. I've given her flea baths and spray almost weekly.:eek: They go away for a day and come back. They hide at her ears and nose! I am worried about some of the flea medications are too strong. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Queen of Poop
08-21-2005, 09:02 PM
His symptoms are sudden, huge weight loss, throwing up (saliva like material), overly tired, leisions on his back. That's about it. He had adrenal surgery last November. Somehow I figure this has to be tied to that.

I've heard about them catching colds, they can also get the flu from us and it can kill them. Whenever someone in the house is sick they are strictly forbidden from even looking at the ferrets until they are well again.

We don't tend to have fleas here. It gets too darn cold for them. So sorry, I have no experience to share in this regard.