PDA

View Full Version : Websites, please

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Does anyone have a reliable website with lots of cat info? Like I'm mainly looking for behaviour. I want to look at the cats and understand them. I've looked at sites but they all say something different...like "wagging" tail means they're excited..or another says it means "I'm angry"

I also finally found out why cats open their mouths...like if they smell something. I must have had a smell of cats on my hands today, kibasmelt it, and opened her mouth after a long smell..so I decided to see what Tango would do..and he did the same...so I guess it helps amplify the smell? maybe? lol

I know it's so lame I don't know this stuff..but I want to learn. I'd also like info on 2 cats playing. Does meowing when they do this mean they're fighting?SometimesI hear a yowl like thing...?? Are they angry?? They LOOK like they're playing..

NoahsMommy
08-19-2005, 03:34 AM
I think its cool you want to learn more about cats. :) Not lame at all. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff I don't know about dogs...and I used to be a "dog person". ;)

Here's a website of a local SPCA: http://www.sspca.org/CatBehavior.html

I learned about cats by reading one of those "Big Book of Cats" books. It detailed everything you're asking about...why they do things.

I'll say that when cats are vocal when they play, its probably just how they're playing. I know when Noah and Noel and when Sami and Phoebe played...and even Hermie and Basie too...they'd make differing meows based on HOW they were playing.

Wagging of their tail CAN mean more than one thing. They wag when they're interested, annoyed, about to pounce, etc. They're like people and are different.

You're correct on the open mouth thing, they do that after they smell something different. Opening their mouth further enables them to smell more.

Hope you learn a lot! Have fun! :)

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM

(edit)
Oh, I checked that site out last night before posting! lol :p

catmandu
08-19-2005, 06:03 PM
THERES catfancy.com.I ALWAYS FIND GREAT ARTICLES,AND caster.com WHERE EVERY CAT GETS A PAGE!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos957.jpg

QueenScoopalot
08-19-2005, 06:54 PM
www.messybeast.com has extensive info on many subjects related to cats. So much info I have yet to peruse the entire site!:eek: ;)