PDA

View Full Version : What is a proper break you should get for work?

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 12:00 AM
If you work so many hours, you get a break, right? What are you suppose to get??

I had a very very busy night tonight. I work by myself (in a bar) and I was there from 6 (usually 5 though) to 1:30am. I didn't get to sit down at all till I was doing my cash at around 1am. My feet/legs are killing me...we don't get breaks unless it's slow. We can eat down there or sit down if we have the chance..otherwise, to bad. I do know it's against the law, and normally I'm fine with it, but I usually get to sit down too..

I was curious what you people get for a normal break??

LuvGold00
08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Where I work the day starts at 7:30am... We get morning break (15 min) at 10am.... Lunch break (30 min) at 12pm.... and afternoon break (15 min) at 2:30pm... And the work day ends at 4pm.

That's a long time for you, or anyone to go without sitting, take some advil and get a good rest. Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

king2005
08-19-2005, 01:21 AM
If u do an 8 1/2 hr shift u MUST by law, get two 15 min breaks & a non paid 30. If worst comes to worse, its an hour break in total.

However in ur case, u'd get a lousy 15min break :(
I'm not a hard a$$ at work, so I give my guys a 20 min break so they can have something to eat.

4hrs u get a 15 min break
7hrs u get a 15 min break & a 30 unpaid 30 (this law needs to be lowered to 6hrs)
8 1/2 hrs u get two 15min breaks & the 30 unpaid

However, if my memory serves me correctly, u do not follow under this law. A waiter & a professional get squat. u can work 16hr days & get nothing! Also waters can get below mim wadge! HOWEVER I am in Ontario, the water thing could be different. But I remember my old friends going through hell.

Kfamr
08-19-2005, 03:42 AM
Legally, I HAVE to take a 30 minute break every 4 hours I work. So at 9:30am I HAVE to clock out or else my workplace could get in REAL trouble.

I get one 30 minute break a day and I work 5:30AM-2:00PM. I never want to go on break but I HAVE to. Going on break makes me really tired because I actually slow down. :p

finn's mom
08-19-2005, 09:18 AM
I used to get a break every two hours of work...fifteen, then thirty, then fifteen again...they were all paid, I didn't clock out for any of them. I'm not sure about legalities, though...I thought I heard someone say every two hours in Texas, but, that could have been someone misinformed or me misunderstanding, or both. :) But, I know I've done a tiny bit of waitressing, and, there were rarely breaks.

dukedogsmom
08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
It depends on your schedule. I work 7pm to 7am. We get two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch break. But, it's not like we can't get more than that for the restroom, etc. The shift I work with is very cool about letting you up when you need to be relieved. I don't think I could have worked like that if I were you. That's not fair at all.

catlover4ever
08-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Legally in Connecticut if you work more than 7.5 hours your are required by law to take a 30 minute meal break. Sometimes this is possible and sometimes it's not possible.

I work in a hospital as a Secretary and I work 8 - 4:30 so I am required to take a 30 minutes meal break and hospital policy also allows for 2 15 minute breaks....one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

If we don't have the chance to take our 30 minutes of meal time than we are required to sign a form stating why we did not take a meal break. The 2 15 minute breaks are optional so if you take one that's good and if you don't then your out of luck.

lvpets2002
08-19-2005, 10:25 AM
That is a very good question - due to here in Tx it is every 2 hrs = a 10 min break, hour off for lunch & this is with a 8 hr day.. Well this summer we went on 10 hr days & we still only get 10 min break now after 2 1/2 hrs & got lunch cut to 1/2 hr.. Well we all thought we should get two 15 min breaks..

mugsy
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I don't count since I teach, but, I get a 35 minute lunch and then I have my plan period which is 55 minutes long, however, that if for prepping for the next day's work.

Mike works in a factory and works 2nd shift. He gets a 20 minute paid lunch and a 10 minute paid break. He works 3-11 and from 6:00-6:20 he gets his lunch and from 9:00-9:10 he gets his break.

Karen
08-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Regulations differ in the U.S. state to state, and can also vary if your place of emplyment is unionized, so I understand. You would have to check with your province, or even city hall, about regulations regarding breaks.

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Here in Nevada, if you work 8 hrs you get an unpaid 30 min lunch and two 15 min breaks, but if you work less than 8 hours you don't get squat (the law says 1 15 min break but no one really enforces it unless its company policy). I know places that will work people for 7 hours just to get around the lunch break rule :p

Now if you actually work for the State, you get 2 15's and an hour lunch...ALL PAID! I rarely take my breaks or my full lunch though. Being in an office, things are more relaxed. When I worked in a lab or out in the field, I was very religious about taking my breaks only because the work was a lot more strenuious physically.

catland
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
laws can vary by location and by what type of work you do. Working alone might have different rules.

You should probably try to look up the rules or laws for your area. There isn't a cook or other employee that can cover for you for ten minutes so that you can get off your feet?

good luck to you.

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Well...the cooks aren't really allowed to do that. I work in a bar, and you need to have a liquor licence. (plus that would mean HELPING..they don't do that.)

We usually don't get THAT busy, so we only have one person working. At night, we have 2 cooks (which we need to get the food on time) one waitress, one frontdesk person (it's a hotel) and that's it for staff. No one could leave their post to help.

Also, my mom manages the bar, my brother-in-law manages the hotel. I have been around this place my whole life. I don't want to go complaining and get them in trouble. No one else seems to have a problem.

I honestly couldn't care less if I don't get a break...IF I get to sit down. If I can sit down for a few minutes between serving people, I'm fine with no break. Actually probably betteroff. I don't need one..My feet just can't take it though.