PDA

View Full Version : Dog show pictures

slleipnir
08-18-2005, 11:55 PM
NOTE - These are NOT my photo's, I did not take them!

These dogs are all on my flyball team. The guy taking the pics, did great for using no flash or tripod (my photos were really dark and we have the same camera!!)

Anyway, you can even see Batdog. There are a lot of pics of kids running these things, cause we wanted to get them involved.

You see the golden pup, Jack, doing agility...he'sonly 5 months...! Not only is he huge, but he's soooo well behaved! Imagen when he's older!

Also, the white dog with black "spots" (static) you see her doing some frisbee and agility..she's the fastest dog on our team and I think even a lot of otherplaces too

http://gtsnetworking.dyndns.org/flyball/ohw/

LuvGold00
08-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Great photos, do I see human's also running this course? ;)

Dixieland Dancer
08-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I couldn't see the pictures because they wouldn't load (I have a High Speed connection so speed shouldn't be the problem). Anyway, I just wanted to offer a suggestion on a camera setting you may want to use to fix your dark pictures without flash.

I take many pictures at indoor agility trials and can't use flash because it may disrupt the dogs run. I have a Canon camera. Point and Shoot or SLR, I believe they use the same settings.

Take the camera off manual mode. Set it too TV mode (this is for shutter speed priority). Try a shutter speed of 1/125th. If that is too dark go lower. You will also need to increase your ISO (film speed) as high as it will go. My camera goes to ISO 1600 so I use that speed when zooming in. If the object is closer then I use an ISO of 800. The faster the film the better you can capture fast moving objects. Yes, it is true that a higher ISO speed can result in more grainy pictures but I was taught it is better to have a somewhat grainy picture than to not get the picture at all. Actually with a 5 mexa pixel or higher camera, the grainy is almost not noticeable. Hope this helps.

Tonielle
08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
You see the golden pup, Jack, doing agility...he'sonly 5 months...! Not only is he huge, but he's soooo well behaved! Imagen when he's older!

They are wondeful pictures!

Do you know what breed the pup is? (I couldn't tell... lab? GR?) I ask because I have always been led to believe that it was a very bad idea to train any dog (especially for agility) at such a young age but especially a larger breed dog...

5 months seems extremely young!

:confused:

lv4dogs
08-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Tonielle
They are wondeful pictures!

Do you know what breed the pup is? (I couldn't tell... lab? GR?) I ask because I have always been led to believe that it was a very bad idea to train any dog (especially for agility) at such a young age but especially a larger breed dog...

5 months seems extremely young!

:confused:

I was thinking the same exact thing, they should be 2 years of age before they start agility. Starting any earlier can cause damage to their joints. A lot of reputable trainers & shows will not accept such a young dog.

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:06 PM
He is a Golden Retriever

She doesn't run him on a full course. He only had small jumps to run through and that's all he really did besides the aframe. He is NOT a trained agility dog. She only does jumps for fun. She doesn't even train him in flyball yet. All she does is run down the lane (no jumps) with a tug. (because he IS too young)

dukedogsmom
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I could only see the first pic because there was no place on the page for me to scroll down. Part of the first pic is cut off at the bottom.

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:16 PM
There is a little menu to your right, with arrows to move along

ramanth
08-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm seeing more people doing flyball and agility than dogs in those pictures. ;) :D

What was that all about?

slleipnir
08-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
I couldn't see the pictures because they wouldn't load (I have a High Speed connection so speed shouldn't be the problem). Anyway, I just wanted to offer a suggestion on a camera setting you may want to use to fix your dark pictures without flash.

I take many pictures at indoor agility trials and can't use flash because it may disrupt the dogs run. I have a Canon camera. Point and Shoot or SLR, I believe they use the same settings.

Take the camera off manual mode. Set it too TV mode (this is for shutter speed priority). Try a shutter speed of 1/125th. If that is too dark go lower. You will also need to increase your ISO (film speed) as high as it will go. My camera goes to ISO 1600 so I use that speed when zooming in. If the object is closer then I use an ISO of 800. The faster the film the better you can capture fast moving objects. Yes, it is true that a higher ISO speed can result in more grainy pictures but I was taught it is better to have a somewhat grainy picture than to not get the picture at all. Actually with a 5 mexa pixel or higher camera, the grainy is almost not noticeable. Hope this helps.

Sigh-
I guess I just don't understand camera...I tried what you said, and it's still too dark. While in TV mode, I can't change the appurture (however you spell it)...

lvpets2002
08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
The pictures came out good for me & they were great pictures & yes do believe they was people running the course too..

Dixieland Dancer
08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
Sigh-
I guess I just don't understand camera...I tried what you said, and it's still too dark. While in TV mode, I can't change the appurture (however you spell it)...

To change aperture value you need to be in AV mode. TV mode is for shutter speed. You need a quick shutter speed and a high ISO to develop pictures without flash of fast moving objects. When in this mode, the camera determines the aperture value. This depends on your lens. This is where SLR cameras prevail because you can use varying lenses with apertures high enough.

Try moving your shutter speed either up or down (experiment) until the pictures get lighter. Make sure you are on a very fast ISO speed.

It can all be very confusing. I've actually taken photography classes and still am confused about it all. It all basically comes down too playing around. If worse comes to worse, ask the other person what they have their camera set on when they get pictures to turn out. ;)

king2005
08-19-2005, 10:10 PM
*HUGS Dixieland Dancer*

I've had the same problem & just didn't know how to take pics of moving things indoors. I tried it on my fish & its NOT BLACK!!!

Thanks u sooooooooooooo much :)

RobiLee
08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Great pics! I would love to go and watch something like that.