PDA

View Full Version : Family obligations...

catnapper
08-18-2005, 04:42 PM
ok, mom guilted me into going to the baby shower this Saturday. Its going to be one long and miserable day, but I'm going. :(

Ok, now my problem is "what to wear"? I don't want to appear overdressed in nice pants and a work blouse but I don't own a single pair of capris and my shorts are all comfy and very casual. I don't want to show up in a tee shirt and cargo shorts! :eek:

Truth be told, my wardrobe has a split personality: work wear and slop-around-the-house wear. Oh, and lets not forget my "cat rescue" wear. :D So if I wear the khakis, its going to most likely be a nice rib knit short sleeved sweater or something like that. Too fussy? Too overdressed in a room full of capri clad women?

Mom called and asked about the "dress code", and they said "casual" so she's wearing capris (she has a million of them) and a nice tee shirt. Mom DOES have "dressy tees" and she'll fit in just fine. Me? Sigh... I am at a loss! Any ideas? I'm almost tempted to photograph my whole wardrobe and have you folks dress me! LOL

dukedogsmom
08-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I would just wear jeans and a nice shirt. That should do it. Unless your jeans have holes in them :p Or, make a quick trip to Wal Mart and find some capris.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh brother :rolleyes: How do you sleep at night with all these problems??? :p

catnapper
08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Ummm... don't own a single pair of jeans. I hate them. Ungodly awful uncomfortable contraptions.

I have:
~cotton shorts similar to boxers - any color imaginable
~Cargo shorts - white, black, tan
~Khakis - black, navy, tan, grey, beige, beige, and more beige
~tailored slacks... black, grey, charcoal, and caramel brown
~silk slacks to go with my silk suit jackets - solid black or blue
~silk skirts to go with above mentioned suit jackets - all solid black
~wool crepe skirts - all black with assorted details

Thats it.

I TRIED a million pairs of capris on and they all look like I stepped out of a washing machine and they shrunk badly. They never hit at the right spot for me. Mom gave me a white pair with colorful embroidery. They look like pants, only really ugly pants on me. I love the capris temselves... but just not on <ME>.

catnapper
08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Oh brother :rolleyes: How do you sleep at night with all these problems??? :p
LOL! Its hard to get sleep, but I manage! :D :p

dukedogsmom
08-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Ummm... don't own a single pair of jeans. I hate them. Ungodly awful uncomfortable contraptions.
Funny! That's how I feel about dress clothes. I wear jeans all the time.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2005, 05:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Funny! That's how I feel about dress clothes. I wear jeans all the time.
HA! You and me both. Without jeans I'd need to go naked. :eek:

Kim, wear the khakis. and something on top too.

Pam
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Kim, wear the khakis. and something on top too.

:o Yep Kim, don't forget something on top! LOL! :D

Karen
08-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Khakis with the nice nice rib knit short sleeved sweater would be fine. And if you are a bit overdressed, hey better that than underdressed!

caseysmom
08-18-2005, 05:22 PM
Kim, the jeans now have spandex in them often times, try some gloria vanderbuilt jeans, they are very comfy.

Pam
08-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by caseysmom
try some gloria vanderbuilt jeans, they are very comfy.

I love, love, love Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. I have a whole boatload in my closet! The reason? They s-t-r-e-t-c-h and are soooo comfortable!

catnapper
08-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Yes, I tried on a pair of the Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans the other day that were oh-so comfy.. but stepping back and looking in the mirror? :eek: Spandex and my shape don't mix. I have no butt... flat as can be back there, and a large belly. So, the pants sag in back, and pull for all its worth up front. I looked pregnant! :eek: I'll keep to my tried and true khakis! (Talk about a style rut! :o)

Thanks Jen for the reminder about wearing something on top! :p

caseysmom
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Well I have a fat body and khakis show it more on me. I do wear shirts out, target has some 3/4 sleeve lengly cotton/poly shirts that I wear tucked out that hide all of the unsightly body parts.

I think khakis and a nice top sounds good, it is probably what you would be most comfortable in.

jenluckenbach
08-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks Jen for the reminder about wearing something on top! :p
You're welcome. :D

sirrahved
08-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Go with khakis. I think it's always better to feel you're the BEST dressed woman in the room, rather than the WORST! :) Whatever you wear, I'm sure you'll play the stupid games that they play and be bored.

HAVE FUN!

sirrahbed
08-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I think khakis are a good all round item. Maybe a plain tee so you don't feel too dressy?:)

caseysmom
08-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Sirrahbed, I am not sure the relation of sirrahved to you? Is this another daughter? I am still learning the ropes here and think you have the nicest family...not trying to be nosy.

sirrahbed
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
:) Not nosy! We tend to confuse folks. Let me try to explain:
Sirrah is Harris backwards plus the first three letters of our first name..
I am mom - Sirrahbed - Debbie
hubby is Sirrahned - Dennis
my daughter is Sirrahsim - Missy (though not a Sirrah anymore)
one dil is Sirrahved- Devon
my other dil is chrangharris - Christine

now to confuse things further:
my daughter Missy is married to Paul, who is Christine's younger brother
my son Bryan is married to Christine
Paul and Christine's mom is persianmom - Carol
brother and sister married to brother and sister:D and then Devon is married to my OTHER son, Jason
Got all that? thank you for saying we have a nice family- I think so too:D

caseysmom
08-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I had most of it, the brothers and sisters kind of gave me a headache keeping straight just because I am tired today. I didn't know the reason for the names though, that helps.

:D

NoahsMommy
08-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I vote for the Khakis as well. :) Like the others have said, its always better to be overdressed than overdressed.

Besides, it makes you look like you value the occasion more.

I hope you have a good time. I know you've not wanted to attend this, but I find when I tell myself "I WILL HAVE A NICE TIME" (when I don't want to do something), I find that I always do. Look for things to enjoy...it'll pass the time and you end up being the bigger person in the end.

Hugs, Kelly :)

Samantha Puppy
08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I looked pregnant! :eek: HEY! I resemble that remark!!!

I say wear khakis and a nice top. Khakis can be dressed up or dressed down, so as long as you don't wear a cashmere twin-set on top, you'll be fine!

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
I feel so silly now, but I cannot figure out what "khakis" are :o :( . Is that pants in soldiers' colours?

catnapper
08-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Here ya go Lut, these are what I'm talking about:
http://www.leejeans.com/master_images/models/Misses/ms_plainfrontpant_fr.jpg

I mostly have them in the color shown.

DJFyrewolf36
08-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I'd dress as comfortable as I wanted to that day, but then again I'm no miss manners lol. I figure if people are guilting me to go somplace, the aught to be darn glad I showed up at all, even if I decide to show up naked!

Am I too crass lol?

finn's mom
08-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't think khakis are too dressy at all. :)