PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Coworker and His Troop

dukedogsmom
08-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I received this in my office email and thought I would share. It's such a sad situation. I wish all of our people could come home from that horrible place. Way too much sadness and death.

Agency Members,

I would like to share some information with you that I have just learned regarding a member of our agency family who has been serving military duty in Iraq since March. Paul is part of the 4th Amphibious Assault Battalion, A Company, 4th Marine Division, 2nd Platoon. As part of their responsibility, they operate Amphibious Assault Vehicles to provide armored transport of troops to inland objectives, offer fire support, and evacuate casualties. Paul is responsible for driving, operating, and maintaining one of these assault vehicles.

On July 5, a vehicle approached a temporary base Paul's platoon was setting up. As the vehicle approached their location, the car got stuck in the sand and mud. Paul and several other Marines approached the vehicle to investigate. Paul got within approximately 100 feet of the vehicle when the driver blew up the vehicle. Paul was knocked out and temporarily lost his hearing. Other Marines suffered more severe injuries from the shrapnel. Of his injuries, Paul said, "It is surprising how quickly a man can forget physical pain when people he knows, people he loves, are counting on him."

When Paul regained consciousness, he radioed in to inform other Marines of this attack, knowing that these bombers usually work in groups and seldom does only one attack occur at a time. Paul's close friend, and Pasco County Deputy, Josh acknowledged the transmission from Paul. Josh was out on patrol in his assault vehicle when he received the information from Paul. Soon after Paul's transmission, Josh drove by a parked car on the side of the road when the car exploded. Metal from the car bomb penetrated through the steel reinforced aluminum on Josh's vehicle and seriously wounded several Marines inside the vehicle. Josh was the most seriously wounded and within the last few days awoke from a medically-induced coma. The extent of Josh's recovery is not yet known and he is hospitalized in Maryland. Cooley was personally presented with a Purple Heart from President Bush on July 30th. Also injured was Jose, who is a former drill instructor at our Boot Camp and is a police officer for another agency.

Paul was able to return to his military duties, having recovered from his physical injuries. This incident is only one of many close calls Paul and his platoon have had. I am asking that we remember Paul, Jose, Josh, and their fellow troops in our thoughts and prayers. They are fighting for our freedom and the freedom of others across the world - they are truly our heroes. Please let this serve as a reminder that although a war is being fought far from here, our lives and the lives of our extended family are definitely affected here and now.

Paul anticipates he will return to the United States sometime in October.

DJFyrewolf36
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Prayers on the way for your coworker...and everyone in Iraq. My brother is there now, and I pray every day for his safety and the safety of all of our brave men and women who serve.

lvpets2002
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
:( My heart goes out to all of them & wish we could get them all back home.. Me & my girls send lots of prayers..

katienoonan
08-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I will keep your coworker in my prayers. My husband is there as we speak and stories like that scare me to death. I just hope everyone comes home safely.

Anita Cholaine
08-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Sending prayers for Paul and for everybody who is in Irak... I can't imagine how hard it must be to have someone loved in such a dangerous place...:(

sandragonfly
08-18-2005, 10:42 PM
thanks for sharing, valerie.

I'm already in tears, two of my friends, really good friends are in there too. :(

prayers, prayers & prayers!!

((you)) too,
..gina

K9karen
08-18-2005, 11:47 PM
:( :( :( I pray for them all everyday...