PDA

View Full Version : Dog Accidentally Put To Sleep...warning...sad

elizabethann
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
This is so sad. I think I'd go balistic and slap that woman and go to jail if they did that to Fenway!!!

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/family/4867591/detail.html (http://)

lv4dogs
08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
that link isn't working.

elizabethann
08-18-2005, 12:24 PM
MIAMI -- A South Florida family are outraged after learning their dog was put to sleep despite the fact that they were on their way to claim their pet from Animal Services.

Cowboy, a 10-year-old golden retriever, ran out of gates surrounding the Porras family home during an Aug. 5 storm, Miami teleivison station WTVJ reported.

Anays Rodriguez-Porras, who calls Cowboy her "first baby," said she called authorities to make a lost dog report every day the dog was missing. Late last Wednesday, Rodriguez-Porras said she learned that the dog was at a Miami-Dade County animal shelter.

Rodriguez-Porras' husband planned to pick Cowboy up, but officials told her that she must pick up the dog herself, she said.

Rodriguez-Porras went to pick Cowboy up on Saturday, but the dog was put to sleep the day before.

"The supervisor comes back, it was a lady by the name of Patricia, comes back and tells me, 'Your dog was put down.' (I said), 'What do you mean he was put down? What do you mean? No,'" Rodriguez-Porras said.

Although Rodriguez-Porras said she could not get answers from the county, the station obtained a memo from Sara Pizano, director of Animal Services, to the county manager.

"I have terminated the employee from employment at Animal Services," the memo said.

Rodriguez-Porras said the mistake is inexcusable, and that she cannot understand how it happened in the first place.

"He was fine, and he had seven years ahead of him. It's devastating to know that this happened and that, 'Sorry,' is basically it," Rodriguez-Porras said. "This dog was part of our family. This dog has given us unconditional love for over 10 years. This dog did not deserve to die that way."

Rodriguez-Porras said that if this can happen to her pet, she thinks it must have happened in the past and could happen in the future.

Rodriguez-Porras is going to meet with an attorney to see if anything can be done. She added that, at some point, she might be able to get another golden retriever.

DogLover9501
08-18-2005, 12:24 PM
It says they found out where the dog was on Wednesday, why did they not go to get him until Saturday? I was thinking maybe the shelter didn't think they were coming to get him.

Very sad :( :(

lv4dogs
08-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing. And also wondering how many days have passed, did she pick him up that Sat or the following? I believe there is a law, you have to hold an animal for a certain amount of days before you can find another home or euthanise.
Either way it is very sad. I'd be LIVID!

ramanth
08-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I wondered the same thing too Robyn. If Kia was at Animal Control and I found out, I'd be right there and if they were closed, I'd be there bright and early the next day. I wouldn't wait at all. :(

Poor Cowboy.

Muddy4paws
08-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I couldnt deal with that, God its terrible :( That poor dog.

dukedogsmom
08-18-2005, 01:34 PM
At our animal control here, they only have about 4-5 days. I am the same as a couple of other people here. There is no way I would have waited that long to pick up Duke. I would hate him even having to spend one night in the place. That woman's "first baby" must not have meant that much to her if she waited that long. Also, how does she know how many years the dog had left? That's a strange quote. Poor Cowboy.

PJ's Mom
08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by elizabethann
She added that, at some point, she might be able to get another golden retriever.

Goodie. :(

This seems to be the owner's fault, not the shelter's fault. How can you leave your pet in a shelter for 3 days?! Now she'll get to sue and the shelter, which needs to keep all the money it can, will have to pay her instead of helping animals. *sigh*

:(

lv4dogs
08-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Also, how does she know how many years the dog had left? That's a strange quote. Poor Cowboy.

I'm hoping it was a misprint & she said the dog had several years ahead of him.
Or maybe she just guessed, going by the average lifespan of such a breed?
It was strange though, hoping it was the first of the 2.

NoahsMommy
08-18-2005, 02:13 PM
How sad...but I agree with the rest of you...they should have gone down there as soon as they knew the dog was there.

And...the shelter terminated the employee. At least they took responsibility.

jesse_3
08-18-2005, 03:08 PM
My question is why did the dog not have a collar with a license?-or at least a collar on? Then, they would've known that he had a home and hold him until they found the owners. I wouldn't put any blaim on the shelter, and I definetely would not sue them if it is MY fault.

That is a horrible story, poor Cowboy, Rest In Peace and play hard at the RB

Steph and Jes

lvpets2002
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
:( That is a very sad story & am sorry for the pet & owner; but I am like everyone else how come she waited till Saturday to get the pet when she knew they had the pet Wednsday.. If it was one of my babies I would be there in a heart beat..

Flatcoatluver
08-18-2005, 04:54 PM
omg this story made me want to cry that is so weird why they would wait till sat. weird. I almost think the shelter should have warned her, like a day before they put the dog down, i wonder what kind of excuse they would have wating that many day to pick the dog up, especially when the dog was very big part of there family. I mean geesh dogs are supposed to be likeyour kids, like immagion you kid in a sitionation like that and you waiting how many day to pick the kid up??? grrrrr.:o

cali
08-18-2005, 06:29 PM
maybe she was unable to get there till saterday? it says her husband was going to be right down to pick the dog up but the shleter said SHE had to pick up the dog herself, shelter hours can be very weird, its possable that she was unable to get off work to pick up the dog during the times the shelter was open, I know the shleter her is only open from noon-5, likley she works hence why her husband was going to go down and pick the dog up right away.

I thinks its a very sad story.

king2005
08-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh no, poor dog & lady :(

I kinda know what its like for this happen & its a horrible nightmare, esp if she wants to burry him herself, like I did.

Here in Canada anyone can take ur dog to the vets & have it put to sleep. The chip is usless out here (for this reason anyway). I lost my guy to this & still haven't recovered from it. Its the same as having a family member murder another family member. Its just something u don't get over.

& haveing a stranger murder ur buddy after they know its ur buddy, its gotta be the same feeling.

I hope the lady is ok.

AllAmericanPUP
08-19-2005, 12:24 AM
thats sad that the dog was put to sleep, maybe i'm cold hearted but I cant say I feel sorry for the owner, she had plenty of time to go get her dog way before he would have been put to sleep an had the dog been wearing ID or been microchipped then they would have been contacted as soon as the dog got in the shelter.

barkley went missing before and the first thing i did was check the shelter the next day and sure enough he was there, a guy one street away from me picked him up and took him there.

if a pet is to go missing the first place anyone should check is all the shelters and rescues in their area, and leave a flyer with the shelters/rescues.

king2005
08-19-2005, 01:01 AM
The chip only works if they scan for it. I have learned the hard way, there is no law, making them check for a chip & if they don't. its too bad. Its sad but its true.. vets & shelters should be forced to check for chips (sorry I still hate the chip & vets)

Den Anne Pen
08-19-2005, 02:48 AM
i agree with the others here i think it's horrible that thedog was put down :( but i can't compreheand why anybody who has a pet that is part of the family would wait that long i would be down there as soon as i found out and i've never heard of a shelter saying one owner had to be there if it's her husband they BOTH own the dog right ? why could'nt they give him the dog that would have been my first ? i would'nt take that for an answer when i called there and 2nd there would be no excuse for waiting that long like CAN"T GET OFF WORK you call in and say anything your sick, your hurt, cars dead, i would use any excuse i needed in order to take time to pick him up OR pick him up and then go to work late anyway this story is sad because it's the dog that paid the price for the owner being so relaxed on the idea to go get him right away ok i have to stop writing know because i'm getting Upset

Den Anne Pen
08-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Sorry i still have to vent here it just really makes me sooo mad that i would have done anything in the world to save denver from passing and theres people like this that just don't care that know theres a chance anything could have happened to him in those 3 days dog fight ect and they still waited all that time :mad:

Flatcoatluver
08-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I totally agree 100% with Den Anne Pen