PDA

View Full Version : need help with science....

RICHARD
08-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I love science but I need help..

One quart of cat kibble, each piece .25 inches square, will cover how much area when spilled by your cat????

A dishtowel is dropped into a water dish.
Thru capillary action at the rate of three ounces an hours How long will it take a 2 liter water dish to completely empty onto a floor?

I believe that a falling object travels at 32 feet a second?

How long will it take a keyboard to fall 4 feet....

and

If three keys are knocked off the standard keyboard each time it hits the ground, How many hits will it take to knock of all the keys???

Ed wants to know.....He just can't use a calculator....no opposable thumbs....!!!

Sonia59
08-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I am a scientist, and I laughed a lot!
Nevertheless, I am sure Ed will get all the answers for us soon....:D

LaRana
08-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Answer #1) Whatever area your floor covers in an open space without any floor obstructions, if you have a cat.

Answer #2) It will take milliseconds for the liter water to be on the floor, after the cat has found the dish.

Answer #3) 1 Second, after the fat cat jumps off of one end.

Answer #4) None, if you decide to superglue or velcro tape the keyboard to the desk to avoid problem #3.

Barbara
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Ed is no theoretical physicist- he won't calculate.
He just does experiments:D

Killearn Kitties
08-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Ha! I was just about to say that "Barbara is your woman for this question as she is a physicist" , but I see that she has been no help at all! :D

Lightning SuperCat
08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
That is SO funny! Ed, did you think about what would happen and consider the facts, of did you just try and do everything without thinking? And Richard, if you were nice to Ed you could buy him a big calculator with huge buttons for him to use! :p No thumbs needed! LOL

lbaker
08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Read next weeks issue of Science under "Research Articles". A peer reviewed paper and presentation will be offered at the next Annual Meeting.

Randy_K
08-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Logically, the keyboard (if it's a 102 or 103 key model) will have to hit the floor 35 times to remove all of the key caps. Given the average cat, that should be accomplished in about 48 hours

Also, if you walk into the kitchen under two simultaneously occurring conditions: 1) in the dark and 2) in your bare feet, it will probably appear that the kibble covers all available surface area.

catmandu
08-18-2005, 06:15 PM
WHEN A CAT SPILLS HIS DRY FOOD,OR BRINGS IT UP,ITS A SCIENTIFIC FACT,THAT IT HAS,TO LAND EXCATLY,WHERE YOU ARE GOING,TO WALK,NO EXCEPTIONS,WHAT SO EVER!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture644.jpg

RICHARD
08-19-2005, 10:23 AM
And I was going to ask how many pounds of force a 15 lb. cat, who's paw surface area is one square inch, can put on a sleeping human's bladder.....:rolleyes: :eek:

Randy_K
08-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Actually cats can control the effect of gravity on them. An empirical study shows that cats can land on a surface with the force of a feather or with the force of a boulder - or something in between.

When standing on a sleeping human they gradually adjust that gravitational "pull" until the desired effect is achieved.

Randy_K
08-19-2005, 01:09 PM
For those metric fans challenged by the arcane English units of measure:

1 inch = 25.4 mm

1 foot = 30.48 cm (so a drop of 4 feet is 1.2 meters)

1 pound = 0.45 kg (so a chubby 15 pounds = 6.8 kg, which is still chubby)

Barbara
08-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Randy, since I'm a Pet Talk regular, a conversion website and a dictionary are my closest computer accessories. The funny thing is that cats like a certain 7,2 lb Aby know how they can use gravity to enhance the force on my belly just as much as any rocket could:D (which usually needs more than gravity to do that;) )

Sonia59
08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Randy_K
Actually cats can control the effect of gravity on them. An empirical study shows that cats can land on a surface with the force of a feather or with the force of a boulder - or something in between.

When standing on a sleeping human they gradually adjust that gravitational "pull" until the desired effect is achieved.

Can't stop laughing!
I agree 500%, even if I can't explain WHY???

RICHARD
08-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
website and a dictionary are my closest computer accessories. The funny thing is that cats like a certain 7,2 lb Aby know how they can use gravity to enhance the force on my belly just as much as any rocket could:D (which usually needs more than gravity to do that;) )

And to think that they sent chimps and dogs into space first..

But I can see their point for not sending a cat...

Have your tried putting a cat into a carrier??

Now, try to get that same cat into a space capsule...:p

jazzcat
08-21-2005, 12:15 PM
LOL!!!

RICHARD
08-24-2005, 12:51 AM
I was thinking about the negative aspects of sending a cat into outer space.

but then again....

I remember during the early days of the US space program that astronauts would release
their liquid waste into orbit. The water would instantly freeze and the astronauts were treated
the sun reflecting off the 'yellow water' that followed the capsule.

They would call their little show the "Constellation Urion"..

There are two problems with cats......

The first is with cat litter....Lord knows the mess you get on the floor.
Traveling in zero gravity with a cat would be an experience.

Now If you finally figure out how to get a cat into outer space and find a way to get the waste out of the
space craft you now have this problem.....

Cat-steroids.......Frozen chunks of cat poop orbiting the planet.

The good parts????
When they fall back into the atmosphere think of the light show!!
You really don't have to worry about it being a 'falling star' just close your eyes, make a wish and
pray that it don't hit you on the head.

Thinking this thru a little farther you come across the military value of a cat-steriod. Hundreds of cats,
orbiting the earth--- Flying food into orbit is another part of the equation, so let's just go with the end result for the moment..

For the sake of arguement....
Each cat produces 4 ounces of poop each day (112 grams) 4 cats= 448 grams or one pound of cat crap.

Let's say that 1,000 cats can produce 250 lbs (113 kilos) of solid waste per day, the weight of a standard gravity bomb in the US
military arsenal. In four weeks those 1,000 orbiting cats can create 7,000 lbs or roughly 3,181 kilos of feline poo poo.

Orbiting at 24,000 miles an hour above the earth those 7,500lbs/3409kilos could be nudged out of orbit and toward anyplace
on the earth's surface.

At impact the speed of the SHSBSCC would be much slower due to the effect of the earth's atmosphere by the time it hits the target....BUT....

I think the scientific formula is something like M(ass) times S(peed) minus F(riction)= a Super Hot Stinking Ball of Speeding Cat Crap Bomb*.

Contrary to popular belief this SHSBSCC* Bomb does not need to be a explosive device in the traditional sense.

There are two ways of using a SHSBSCCB - As an impact bomb or an airburst weapon -Both have distinct advantages.

As an impact weapon you can use it directly on any targeted building or site you choose.

As an airburst weapon a small explosive charge can be programmed to detonate at a predetermined altitiude, thus covering more
area with only one weapon.

The other advantages are the SHSBSCCB is it's biodegradable, has no long term effect on the enviroment -of course, pregnant women are more at risk
from Toxoplasmosis.....It says that on the cat litter bags/boxes!! - and when all is said and done an area impacted with the SHSBSCCB can be inhabited soon after.
The area can be decontaminated by either pail and a mop or with a pack of dogs (THAT is another mystery! Why do dogs eat kitty crap?).

The psychological effect of the SHSBSCC can be devastating. First, the populace must deal with the smell, the texture and finally, the actual cleanup.

One other observation during the testing of the SHSBSCCB was that after few alcoholic drinks, bending over a stinky cat box can make you puke.

The problem of getting those desired effects on the target area is getting everyone drunk at the same time...

I have to think this one thru again.....

:rolleyes:

lbaker
08-24-2005, 06:40 AM
The answer to cat poop in space would obviously :rolleyes: be to send a few dogs into space. Everyone knows dogs just love to eat/roll in/"handle" cat poop! Which brings us back to that good ol' standard "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, I don't know why.. she swallowed a fly, perhaps she'll die". Which leads *I know, you were wondering where on earth this was leading...* to the dog that ate the cat that ate the rat that ate the... well, you get it :o

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I know this has something to do with the laws of thermodynamics.

hmmmmmmm.....;)

Laura's Babies
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gifTOOOOOOO FUNNY!http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
That's not funny, I mop and vacumn the area in front of the fireplace and it's full of ashes, cat hair, wood chips and god knows what else, in the matter of hours.....;)

katladyd
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like any floor in my place. I have GOT to teach my boys how to mop and vaccuum!:D

RICHARD
01-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds like any floor in my place. I have GOT to teach my boys how to mop and vaccuum!:D

Half the equation.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=46777604

:)

kokopup
01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
]POST BY RICHARD
They would call their little show the "Constellation Urion"..

What do the laws of physics say about the fate of a "Constellation Urion".. Will it continue to follow the capsule or will it's orbit decay and eventually fall to earth.

Not knowing what a Orion was I googled it with this result.

Urban Dictionary: urion
urion - 1 definition - One who likes to listen to people eating.

Would a "constellation Urion" be a fellow astronaut or would it be an ezdropping ground crew?

catmandu
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
And how is it that a 6 pound Cat jumping on a table will have just enough force to send everything crashing to the floor?
And that a two foot Cat can monopolize a Queen sizzed bed?
I wish we could ask Bill Nye!!!:):):)

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
What do the laws of physics say about the fate of a "Constellation Urion".. Will it continue to follow the capsule or will it's orbit decay and eventually fall to earth.

Not knowing what a Orion was I googled it with this result.

Would a "constellation Urion" be a fellow astronaut or would it be an ezdropping ground crew?

Great questions and from what I remember from the little bit of Orbital Mechanics?

What goes up....:D

---------

Wally Schirra (Apollo VI) was the one who coined the term Constellation Urion after they dumped a waste holding tank into space, the water froze and followed the capsule for a while.

It was a play on the Constellation Orion, the Hunter!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060702125226AA04FM3

--------------

Gary,

The answer is inertia. A moving cat will stay moving, until he knocks over something made of glass.

One cat on a Queen size bed?

I have to go to my Biology and Anatomy back ground to answer this.

This is a two foot long, four footed cat?

Two plus four?

That equals SIX feet ;) just the right size for a Queenie. I am a little over six foot tall and a queen sized bed is just the right size for me?:):D

aTailOf2Kitties
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
how is it a 10 pound cat can blindly jump up on a table from the floor and land precisely on the only object on that table?

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 10:28 AM
how is it a 10 pound cat can blindly jump up on a table from the floor and land precisely on the only object on that table?

You expect me to know this? ;)

Practice, depth perception and a cat's innate ability and mission to break or disrupt objects on the table and to spread cat hair onto your freshly cleaned or waxed table.

I was almost tripped up with that question.:o

aTailOf2Kitties
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I have discovered that the amount of noise a swatted object makes on a laminate floor in the middle of the night is directly proportional to how badly you want to go back to sleep:mad:

lvpets2002
01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
:D Yup will have to so agree.. Too Funny & True..
Answer #1) Whatever area your floor covers in an open space without any floor obstructions, if you have a cat.

Answer #2) It will take milliseconds for the liter water to be on the floor, after the cat has found the dish.

Answer #3) 1 Second, after the fat cat jumps off of one end.

Answer #4) None, if you decide to superglue or velcro tape the keyboard to the desk to avoid problem #3.

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
I have discovered that the amount of noise a swatted object makes on a laminate floor in the middle of the night is directly proportional to how badly you want to go back to sleep:mad:

Humidity! Now I have to play weather man! Humid air keeps sound from traveling great distances. The cooler temperatures during the evening and an open door to your room enables sound to bother you, the light sleeper, If you do have a laminate floor in your room? You may have pull it up, get a rug or buy a cat carrier to corral your charges at night.

Whew.....that was tough.:D

cassiesmom
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I love science but I need help..

One quart of cat kibble, each piece .25 inches square, will cover how much area when spilled by your cat????

Ed wants to know.....He just can't use a calculator....no opposable thumbs....!!!

May I revise the question slightly? 1/3 cup of cat kibble, each piece .25 inches square ... will cover how much area after being pushed from the dish onto the floor by the cat? I don't know how she does it - if she just doesn't like certain pieces once she gets them into her mouth, and drops them on the floor? Or if she pushes her nose too deeply into the dish, and some of the kibble goes over the edge? And how is it that a few pieces are always left on the rim of the dish, and some make it all the way onto the floor? Silly kitty!

Along those same lines ... how is it that even though I put a cotton rug under the litter pan to catch what she kicks over the side - why is it that there is cat box filler under the cotton rug?

RICHARD
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
May I revise the question slightly? 1/3 cup of cat kibble, each piece .25 inches square ... will cover how much area after being pushed from the dish onto the floor by the cat? I don't know how she does it - if she just doesn't like certain pieces once she gets them into her mouth, and drops them on the floor? Or if she pushes her nose too deeply into the dish, and some of the kibble goes over the edge? And how is it that a few pieces are always left on the rim of the dish, and some make it all the way onto the floor? Silly kitty!

Along those same lines ... how is it that even though I put a cotton rug under the litter pan to catch what she kicks over the side - why is it that there is cat box filler under the cotton rug?

Hmmmm....

The amount of area covered by spilt kibble depends on the size of the kibble, the density and the height the kibble is dropped from. The little fishies in the Seafood flavored Friskies tend to travel the farthest. They want into the water dish!;)

Ed will pick and choose the 'flavors' he wants, I have experimented with Friskies Indoor Style-He leave the little green balls behind.

----------------------

Litter travels under the rug by osmosis and the cat raking his claws across the rug after he is done.

The scratching is a trait inbred by thousand of years of pooping outdoors.;)