PDA

View Full Version : Going Places on Your Own?

NoahsMommy
08-18-2005, 04:03 AM
This Sunday, I'm going to attend a new church, on my own. I haven't been to church in quite a while and I feel its something that I need to do.

However, I've NEVER been to church alone, but I'm not all that nervous about it.

How do you feel about going to places (new and old) on your own? Are you comfortable with it?

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-18-2005, 04:21 AM
I love doing these things! Meeting new people is always one of my favorites :)

robinh
08-18-2005, 07:38 AM
I've always been nervous/scared of doing things by myself, so one of my self-improvement projects has been to do just that. I've gone to several places that I wouldn't have gone by myself before and it felt great to have that control. Very empowering.

Good for you!!

JenBKR
08-18-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't mind doing some things on my own. I did the same thing about two years ago. I went to a new church - the reception you get at a church is always so friendly it's easy to go alone. It will be something good for you. Good luck!

Barbara
08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
I am never comfortable when I go places on my own. When I was a child I was so shy and deep inside I still feel the same.

On the other hand I feel excited! The fear is mixed with pure excitement.:D

Last year, I did a mountain tour on my own at a weekend Siegmar went to visit an old school friend. I told nobody but planned it carefully and enjoyed every single second. As a matter of fact that day is so alive in my mind- I never think something more normal could make such a strong impact:D

Whenever we tear one of the fences down we only make for ourselves we win. Have fun at the church :)

Samantha Puppy
08-18-2005, 09:00 AM
It depends where I'm going and what I'm doing. For instance, if I'm going shopping for an outfit for a special occasion, I like to have someone around. If I'm just going regular shopping, I prefer to go alone.

I WILL NOT go to a movie alone, nor will I eat alone in a restaurant. I did that *once* while I was Christmas shopping and I felt like everyone was staring at me. I hated it. So if I'm alone, I either get it to go and eat in the car or I don't eat at all.

finn's mom
08-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm very comfortable with it. I do a lot on my own. Eating, movies, sports bars, etc...no biggie. It's exhiliarating, and, you meet a lot more people that way, because more people approach you. :)

lvpets2002
08-18-2005, 09:47 AM
:) Doing things alone dont bother me. But there is times I want company.. Just think of the new friends you will meet..

cloverfdx
08-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I dont like going places by myself for the first time, after that i would be fine though. I hate eating alone in public :o.

lv4dogs
08-18-2005, 10:17 AM
It depends on what it is. I used to be a very open personable person who loves & is comfortable with everyone. Well I was in a 7.5 year bad relationship that took a toll on me & my personality, it ended 1.5 years ago!!!!
I'm now kind of shy & sometimes get a slight anxiety around new people/places. BUT I know I have to do it to oveercome it. I don't let it hold me back but I'm not always comfy with it.

ramanth
08-18-2005, 10:20 AM
It depends on where. When I went out to San Fran for a conference, I had to have meals alone. It just felt odd to not have someone to chat with.

But I can do movies alone, eating out, shopping, etc.

sasvermont
08-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Think of it as taking yourself along!

I once went to Paris alone, for two weeks. I had a wonderful time. Didn't need to "confer" with anyone about what I was going to be doing that day or any other day. I had a wonderful time and managed to eat and have fun. I also walked everywhere I went and lost weight while I was there. I began to look like a local after awhile and toward the end, tourists were asking me for directions!

Take yourself to church and have a good time.

elizabethann
08-18-2005, 10:28 AM
I go to the movies by myself. I remember the first time I did that. I was so freaking nervous and uncomfortable (until the lights dimmed and the movie came on). Now, I'm not bothered by it. Sometimes people don't want to see the movie I want to see so I have no choice. I will admit that I'll go to the movies in the town next door to where I live. I'm afraid I'll see somebody I know and they'll think "she has no friends".

I've only been to a restaurant once by myself and that was in Charleston South Carolina. I felt very strange. Oh and I went to a bar by myself in SC too. Boy, I felt doubly strange there!

Lets see, I go shopping by myself..that's no biggie. I go hiking by myself (with the dog of course). That can be a little scary, depending on what trail I do. I've been to the beach by myself. Strange at first, but then I loved it because I knew I could stay all day and read a book or magazine and watch the waves and not have somebody complain that they're too hot and want to go home.

Going by yourself can be liberating and fun but at times it can be lonely too.

catnapper
08-18-2005, 10:31 AM
I've never stopped to think about it. OFten I beg hubby or the kids to go somewhere with me because its often boring to go somewhere alone (supermarket, mall, etc) but I have no problem going somewhere new alone.

I LOVE having meals alone in a restaurant. I take a good book, sit at the table and just go into my own little world as I read and eat. Very slow and relaxing. Though I'm sure the waiter/waitress would love to kill me since I'm occupying their table extra long and as a single person (so I end up tipping a lot more than anyone normally would)

Edwina's Secretary
08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
When I was transferred to Guadalajara Mexico to work (a plum assignment) I was single. One of the many good things that I got from the assignment was the ability to enjoy my own company. I knew no one and ....regardless of language...I stood out! Initially I had no car and I didn't even get a tv until a couple months before I repatriated. Oh...and I had no phone in my apartment.

I eventually made wonderful friends...who I still see to this day. But I learned to be alone...and enjoy it! Like Sally Anne I have traveled to Europe and many other places alone and had fun. I've gone to the movies alone (especially when I want to see some foriegn language flick that Don hates!) and....as I have traveled on business for 20+ years....I can either eat alone or starve (which might not be all bad!)

And even....in my much, much younger days.... I went to church alone.

DJFyrewolf36
08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
I used to be scared to death over the prospect of going anywhere by myself but then I moved across the country and was pretty much forced to be alone!! There was an arcade at the mall about 3 miles away from the dorms, and I would walk there alone almost every day for about 3 months. People would stare at me though, because I was rather different from everyone else.

The experence really taught me to be less self concious, and a lot more outgoing. Now, instead of hiding, I'll actually go up to people I've never met before and just start to chat.

Muddy4paws
08-18-2005, 12:08 PM
If I need to go somewhere I would prefer it if my boyfriend or someone else is with me because theres alot of gangs where i live and I've found out they dont pick of people if they got someone with them, I just get nervous :(

It's pretty sad really, Especially when I have a huge "Shopping problem" :p I just call it a hobby :D

NoahsMommy
08-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your replies...its always interesting to me how people view doing things on their own.

I prefer to shop for clothes for me by myself. That way I can take my time and be as picky and annoyingly undecisive as I want.

Sephora requires one (or many more) girls!! ;)

shais_mom
08-19-2005, 12:20 AM
while I certainly am not good about going to church period - I have no problem eating alone - shopping alone etc.
I love to take a good book or magazine to eat out with.

smokey the elder
08-20-2005, 08:08 AM
I like doing stuff alone and at my own pace. As far as going to a new church, I have found that churches are very welcoming to visitors. I sing in a small group that fills in for choirs at local churches in the summer, and they were all very welcoming.

Anita Cholaine
08-20-2005, 09:12 AM
It depends on the place... I wouldn't mind going to the cinema alone, or shopping, but if I'm going to a place where I'm meeting new people, I prefer going with a friend... I wouldn't mind going to a church, they are always very welcoming...

Karen
08-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I often go places alone, and have no problem doing so. When going to a new church it is almost better to be alone, so you can decide whether or not you liked the atmosphere and the service, and if you didn't, it is easier, somehow, to slip out at the end quietly if you're alone! ;)

moosmom
08-20-2005, 09:53 AM
*bows head in shame*

I haven't been to church in a while, other than to light a candle.

I should go more often to services. But God looks out for me anyway with my nightly prayers.

I don't have problems going places alone. Sometimes I like to go by myself. It sounds anti-social, but there are times when I just like to talk around by myself and talk to no one.

sirrahbed
08-20-2005, 10:08 AM
One place I don't think I have ever gone alone is to a restaurant. I think I would feel so uncomfortable. Maybe I should try it sometime. I used to always go to church alone - no big deal. I also go shopping alone, to the library, etc and never think twice. I have flown alone numerous times - even to Japan this year. I am pretty used to doing things alone I think. I don't really think of it. When I was growing up - I always loved going to movies by myself and it was a favorite passtime - though now I am always with hubby:)

I don't think I would want to drive a long trip alone though!:eek: The thought of stopping at a motel, eating alone etc - :eek:

I hope you enjoy your Sunday at church Kelly!!:) I bet you feel very comfortable - and others will likely be very welcoming to a "solo" newcomer!!

Ginger's Mom
08-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I have no problem going shopping alone, going to church alone, or even travelling alone (all things that I have to do so I have learned to do them alone). However, I avoid eating out alone, going to movies alone, and going places where you are normally expected to mingle with others alone. I guess I think of those as more social events, and I am really uncomfortable in those situations.

slick
08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Hmmmmm how do I answer this? Of course, shopping alone is no problem for me but I will not socialize alone.

In other words, I don't do movies, eat out, go to parties (except for the LA BBQ...;) ) or anything else alone. I'm just too self-conscious.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I suffer from major social anxiety and never go anywhere by myself. If I'm having a really good day I can occasionally run into Winn Dixie to pick up something quickly by myself.

mruffruff
08-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I never used to go to restaurants alone. Then I got tired of my own cooking and decided I deserved to be waited on. Now I don't mind going to any kind of an eating establishment alone. I've even gone to real classy places. If people are looking at me funny, I just look back with a Mona Lisa smile. They either smile back or get flustered.;)

I sometimes think about all the things I missed when I was younger just because I was so self conscious or insecure.

sirrahbed
08-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mruffruff
If people are looking at me funny, I just look back with a Mona Lisa smile. They either smile back or get flustered.;)

How funny!:) A good idea though. What I do when I feel self conscious is to pretend I am a cat:o It seems to give me a confident look that I do not feel - and probably a Mona Lisa smile!!:D

lisalee
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I love going places and doing things by myself. I can be moody at times and don't always feel like talking to someone, so I enjoy it most of the time. I've ate in restuarants alone, gone to the beach and boardwalk, NYC and of course shopping all alone at times. I don't do it as often as I used to though, but I always enjoy being by myself.:)

Suki Wingy
08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Very comfortable and I'm only 15. I take NiƱo alone the 3 mile walk/ bikeride to Petsmart on my own.

king2005
08-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I feel ill when I do things on my own. But that doesn't stop me :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Depends where I'm going...in town, I'm fine going most anywhere alone (though I usually don't since I don't drive, lol!:rolleyes: :p ;)) and I don't know about other places...hmmm...

Suki Wingy
08-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, and I have stopped flying UM, so I usually do all of the airport stuff past security on my own. I guess I'm safer because most people mistake me for an adult anyway.