PDA

View Full Version : I Am So Nervous , Help

Harmanie
08-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Tomorrow I get my wisdom teeth pulled. I am so nervous. If anyone can give me adviice, I would deaply appreciate it. I am just afraid at this point that i am about to chicken out.

Karen
08-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Don't chicken out now!

It's not that painful, honest. I had all 4 out at once, they put me out for it, because the teeth were not even coming in, two of them were sideways and aiming at the roots of other teeth ...

Afterwards, I was just sore, like someone had clobbered me in the jaw. Bad bruise kinda hurt, not even as bad as paper-cut kinda hurt.

And you can milk it for lotsa ice cream, cold soups - whatever your favorite soft stuff is - for days afterwards.

carole
08-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I just want send you all the good luck and positive vibes I can for your day at the dentist, of course you will be scared, I hardly know anyone who wants to go to the Dentist for routines let alone a wisdom teeth extraction, sweetie i am sure with all the latest dentistry it will be a painless as humanely possible and hopefully all will go well, take care and let us know how it went.

luvofallhorses
08-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I just had that done last month. I feel for you! Just make sure you don't drink through a straw and follow the doctor's orders. Good luck! :) ((hugs))

joycenalex
08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
i had all four taken out at one time when i was 22. it wasn't bad at all. the dentist and his assistant gave me liquid valium, told me to count back from 100, i got to 98 and woke 2 hours later. i drank small sips of water for 12 hours, slightly larger sips of my moms' chicken broth for 24 hours and was back to soft food in 2 days, then regular food by the weekend. i took regular tylenol for 1 day after, and did what the dentist told me for after care. i am a HUGE chicken when it comes to dental stuff and i did fine. you will too ((HUGS))

Harmanie
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, I still feel very nervouse. I've been in pain for a while now and I hate pain in my mouth because it gives me tooth aches. I am so scared. I'm not going down for it, I'm just getting laughing gas.

cyber-sibes
08-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Good luck, mine didn't hurt nearly as much as I anticipated. my advice?
EAT CHEESCAKE! ;)

carole
08-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Have you asked about Intravenous Sedation ,it is wonderful, you are not put out as in a General, but you won't remember a thing, but the dentist can talk to you and get you to co-operate like opening your mouth etc, and you will feel no pain during it what so ever, I had all my teeth filled this way as I had quite a lot done at once, root canals etc, it was a while back now, but it is still used here in NZ, I woke up feeling a little groggy but nothing like when you have a general, ask about it.

Laughing gas is often used for childbirth, I had it for my daughter's birth, so I am sure it would work fine for the tooth extraction too.

Harmanie
08-17-2005, 09:17 PM
You know...I kinda like that advice. Another thing that is really bugging me is that I have to go to work the day after surgery.

luvofallhorses
08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Harmanie
You know...I kinda like that advice. Another thing that is really bugging me is that I have to go to work the day after surgery.

:eek: omg! Please get an excuse to take rest of the week off. I was miserable the first few days. Please do that! :)

slleipnir
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
I was so nervous that I cried when I went in LOL. It's not as bad as I thought! Mine were painful coming in, and I'm glad now that they're gone! :)

slleipnir
08-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Harmanie

I tihnk you might want atleast the day after off work...if not more. (I needed more lol. It wasn't REALLY sore, but talking was uncomfortable..andI had to do that for my job. Can you get timeoff? A sick day?

cyber-sibes
08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Another thing that is really bugging me is that I have to go to work the day after surgery.
Definitly plan on a few days off - your dentist can probably supply you with a note for a few days off that you can give to work. It'll take a day just to shake off the anesthetic, and you may have to take some pain killers and anti-inflammatories. Not trying to scare you, just prepare you for the possibilities.

PJ's Mom
08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
My daughter had hers done last week and she needed at least 4 days to recover. There's NO WAY you can go back to work the day after this surgery. :eek: If you're not careful, and don't rest and follow the doctors orders, you'll end up with an infection, or dry socket...neither of which is any fun.

Try not to worry. Good luck. :)

joycenalex
08-18-2005, 05:54 AM
forget going into work, you really won't feel like talking, you'll be loggy from the laughing gas, and staying home is so much better, IMHO