PDA

View Full Version : Believe it or Not

Anita Cholaine
08-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Some interesting things I found on the Internet... I'm just bored...

A cockroach will live nine days without its head, before it starves to death.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

A snail can sleep for three years.

All Polar bears are left-handed.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, dogs only have about ten.

China has more English speakers than the United States.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

If you keep a goldfish in a dark room, it will eventually turn white.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

More people are killed by donkeys annually than are killed in plane crashes.

No word in the English language rhymes with "month".

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.

Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."

Starfish haven't got brains.

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.

The most common name in the world is "Mohammed".

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

The name "Wendy" was made up for the book "Peter Pan."

The sentence, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.

The word "racecar" and "kayak" are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left.

There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.

You are more likely to be killed by a Champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.

You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.

You share your birthday with at least nine million other people in the world.

Hope you like it:)

cocker_luva
08-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Anita Cholaine
Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

i knew it! i knew i wasnt crazy and that infants didnt bend their legs!

Twisterdog
08-17-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva

What?! I thought babies bent their legs all the time! Ok, so it's been thirteen years since I had a baby, but still?

New parents/grandparents: comments?

jesse_3
08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
LOL! You must have been bored;) Thanks, I needed something to read!

Steph and Jes

popcornbird
08-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by cocker_luva

That isn't true! Babies DO bend their knees. Not having knee caps doesn't mean they can't bend their knees. Silly. :p Babies actually bend their knees even more...I think...they are more flexible. LOL!

What a 'fun to read' list! :D

Sirrahsim
08-18-2005, 01:23 AM
babies come out all bent and squished. If they couldn't bend their knees they wouldn't fit in the tight confines of the womb. Trust me, I just had an infant cut out of my tummy 2.5 months ago and he was all curled up in the "fetal position" in there. He is also perfectly capable of operating his legs and LOVES to splash in the bathtub and kick Mommy or Daddy in the stomach while he is having his diaper changed. I love my little man:D :D Those are some wierd facts though!! When Tyler wakes up I will have to feel his knees :)

LuckiLab03
08-18-2005, 01:55 AM

The average human eats eight spiders in their lifetime at night.

This one gets thrown around the internet quite a bit but it's not true. Think about it, how would they even measure that?

Pawsitive Thinking
08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour

This one can't be true!! If it was I would be a stick insect by now...........................

JenBKR
08-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
This one can't be true!! If it was I would be a stick insect by now...........................

ROFLMAO I thought the EXACT same thing when I read that one...that was weird!!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by JenBKR
ROFLMAO I thought the EXACT same thing when I read that one...that was weird!!

Its the PT vibe coming through...........

king2005
08-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Wrong

America is not a continent.

However, North America & South America are continents.

Anita Cholaine
08-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by king2005

Wrong

America is not a continent.

However, North America & South America are continents.

Are you sure of that?? I think that America is only one big continent, divided in North America, South America and Central America... Now I'm not sure, but I think it's that way...

Karen
08-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Some interesting things I found on the Internet... I'm just bored...

This one is not true, found this with a quick Google search:

Newborns do have kneecaps. Kneecaps form about the fourth month of fetal life. However, they don’t show up on x-ray very well because they’re not ossified, or bony. At this point in life, the kneecaps are made of a cartilaginous material. The growth centers surrounding the kneecap form late in developmental life in utero and may not appear until just before or just after the infant is born.

Remember, infants are a work in progress. The potential for linear bone growth may continue until the late teens or early twenties. Although all the precursor tissues for the major bones are present at or immediately after birth, centers of ossification (where bone is laid down) continue to develop throughout childhood and beyond. For instance, the head of the femur appears at four months, the patella, or kneecap, starts showing signs of ossification at about 3 years in females and 4-5 years of age in males. Parts of the pelvic girdle (hips) don’t appear ossified until adolescence with the tubercle of the pubis not appearing until 18-20 years of age.

IRescue452
08-20-2005, 11:11 AM
My hissers would die without their heads. Cockroach myths get thrown around a lot. You wouldn't believe some of he myth excuses that I heard when my hall director was trying to get my roaches banned.

king2005
08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Are you sure of that?? I think that America is only one big continent, divided in North America, South America and Central America... Now I'm not sure, but I think it's that way...

"A continent is one of several major land masses on the earth. There is no standard definition for the number of continents but you'll commonly find that the numbers six or seven are used. By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. Most students in the U.S. are taught that there are seven continents."