PDA

View Full Version : Please give me your opionion on this !!

Den Anne Pen
08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
hi everyone SORRY SO LONG
ok so this is my ? as some of you may know one of my fur babies passed away 3 weeks ago he was a basenji :(
know i called around to breeders in my area which this breed around here is not very common to see if they had a baby or young adult so i could get my little girl out of depression {his sister} well there where none around so i got my other little spaz :) aspen from a shelter now this one breeder i callled weeks ago called me on a 9 mth old basenji that needs a home asap because the owners keep him in a crate for 12 hours and can not take care of this breed if if you've had a basenji then you know how much attention and patience you need with this breed it defitly not a breed for everyone you need to do your reserch on this breed anyways they need to rehome him well i'm more the happy to take him if my 2 get along w him so i agreed to go meet them which by the way is a 3 hrs drive and agreed if my babies get along them he'll come w us Now the breeder who really has nothing to do w this says that i should offer her some moeny for the items that she would be sending w him well i think that considering that i am offering to take him where he'll be very happy here and drive 3 hrs i don't think i should give the owners anything i am more then happy to make a dotion to a animal hosp. or something but i don't think giving these owners moeny is going to teach them not to get a dog if you can't take care of him so i need to know iif my opion is out in left field or not
PLEASE I NEED SOME OPIONS asap

thank you
lori :eek:

Glacier
08-17-2005, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't offer them a dime. You are already doing enough--driving and giving the dog a good home. I wouldn't even bring the subject up.

lv4dogs
08-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't even bring the subject up. You are already doing enough. Giving the dog a loving home should be more than enough.

Den Anne Pen
08-17-2005, 04:00 PM
i'm not going to but i think the breeder who is being a pain in my butt has said something to her the breeder is a nice lady but one of those people who think they know it all i know she breeds them but i've also had them i just think that giving these people moeny is not going to teach them anything

Uabassoon
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
I'm surprised the breeder is asking you to offer them money. Most good breeders would take the dog back and find them a new home themselves. By that I mean directly through the breeder, not sending you to the original owners house. Good breeders usually have you sign a contract saying that if you can't keep the dog to return it to them and no one else.

You are not BUYING this dog, you are resucing it. Dogs are not investments, so she shouldn't expect to make up for lost money. She should just be thankful that you are happy to bring him home with you and give him the great home that he deserves.

Den Anne Pen
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
this basenji is not from that breeder the owner had got him from a pet store but she contacted this breeder because she's on a list at the recuse for basenjis should they come in and the owner called the resue to find opions and the breeder had my # because of calling for a basenji weeks before if i don't take him they will put him in BRAT which is a great place but they will take a while to find him a home and he needs out NOW

cyber-sibes
08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
since you previously owned one, you probably have all the basics, so why not tell them you will take the dog but not the other stuff? Suggest she donate it somewhere. maybe she'll get the hint and just offer it to you. I agree, rescuing the dog is enough, they should be grateful their dog is going to a good home.

Ginger's Mom
08-17-2005, 06:10 PM
No it does not sound right to me. If the present owners were to turn the dog over to any rescue or shelter there is a fee for turning over the dog. They do not pay the people who are turning in their dogs, even when those owners also turn over the dogs belongings. Why should this situation be any different. I agree with Cyber-sibes, tell them to donate the items to a shelter, and see if they offer them to you for free.

bckrazy
08-17-2005, 07:05 PM
hm... I dunno. If the people are asking for an adoption fee, like $50, I would pay it. They're probably suspicious/materialistic people and think that they should get some compensation for the little care and money they've spent on the dog. Judging by how they treat their pup, money is more important to them. Personally, I'd offer $50 just to take that poor pup out of the situation immediately -.-

jesse_3
08-18-2005, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't offer a dime, just take the dog and leave the stuff as cyber-sides had originally said:)

Good luck!-can't wait for some pics

Steph and Jes

grybai
08-18-2005, 01:07 AM
It seems strange the breeder is asking you to offer money. I think it'd be one thing if the owner was asking a small adoption fee - not to make money but to sift out those who would want the animal for unethical reasons - but this seems like an entirely different matter. I wouldn't offer any money but had an adoption fee when requested up front then I would have paid it.

king2005
08-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Maybe the breeder is worried they wont just "give" u the dog?

I'm just trying to see why the breeder would say that & I think shes worried if u do not give them some cash they will refuse u the dog & the breeder knows the poor pups needs out now.

Den Anne Pen
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Well i talked to the owner directly last night and the moeny did not get brought up i did tell her that i don't need his stuff unless she feels like giving it to me or she can give it to a animal shelter or ect. i think it will go ok sat when we meet i just think the breeder was thinking it might be a nice thing to offer something but like i said before i might not be offering moeny but they'll know he's going to a home that he can run around in w/ my 2 babies and not have to be scared of being crated EVER again i think that's enough i will try getting this pic that she sent me so you can see him he's a cutie

dukedogsmom
08-18-2005, 04:54 PM
A good home is more than enough payment. You don't owe them a dime and don't even offer it! I'm glad that poor dog will finally get out of the crate. What a sad life for a dog.

jesse_3
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
I am glad that this is sounding as if it is working out!!!! I bet you can't wait to get this little furbabe!!

Steph and Jes

Den Anne Pen
08-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Yes i hope everything works out ok hopefully Cheyanne will ok him coming home w/ us she's been good lately though so she should be ok :) sometimes she moody w/ dogs but puppies she's pretty good with so i have my fingers crossed we will rename him PHOENIX because we like the name and also for what's behind that name we seem to have a city theme in this house :D we have Cheyanne, Aspen+we had Denver. i will keep everyone updated on what happens cross your fingers for me :eek:

Den Anne Pen
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Well I thought I'd give everyone an update. We got a new baby today! Aspen LOVES him and cheyanne likes him but she got a little belly ache, but she's doing ok. She really doesn't want to be bothered w/ eithier of them today. :( I think he's going to fit in great money never got mentioned.
but they said he was housebroken and he's not

king2005
08-20-2005, 11:19 PM
maybe hes just scared & had accidents in the house?

Den Anne Pen
08-20-2005, 11:24 PM
that's what i'm hoping but if not ohh well just looks like i have a little more training then i thought :) and petsmart stock is going to go up by all the cleaners i'll have to buy :D he's a good boy otherwise though :D

king2005
08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
thats the big thing

cyber-sibes
08-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Congratulations on your new Phoenix! I love the name, and in fact, the myth of the Phoenix in fact it sort of suits his situation - he'll rise to new heights (of happiness) in his new enviornment!

Den Anne Pen
08-22-2005, 07:25 AM
WOO HOO we have liftoff with the housebreakin :D

lv4dogs
08-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow. double wow! A new addition & improving on training already! Congrats!

I'm so happy that everything worked out. Can't wait for pics!!!