PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia had a seizure last night

Denyce
08-16-2005, 09:29 AM
I think that was one of the scariest things I have gone through in a very long time.

We were sitting watching a episode of Six Feet Under on DVD and relaxing. I was doing some cross stitch and my husband was making a miniture house for his train set.

Sequoia started getting restless and came over to my chair to get my attention. I asked her if she needed to go out expecting the usual excited wooo. Instead she turned away and started arching her back up...then her tail started lifting like she was going to poo. I hollared at my husband to quick get her outside cause I thought she had to go real bad and couldn't hold it. The door to the porch is only about 6 feet away. He leaped up and grabbed the leash...she started getting really stiffed legged and couldn't really walk.

We got her outside onto the porch where she collapsed and started convulsing. She was foaming at the mouth and drooling excessively. Her paws were stretched completely out and her legs started to jerk and flail around. I immediately called the vets emergency number and then ran to get dressed thinking we would be racing her the 20 miles to the vet.

My husband sat holding her head and talking to her and trying not to cry. By the time I got back she was starting to come around. After about 5 more minutes she started to kinda crawl and stagger her way back into the house...the door had been open the whole time. We got her on the rug and just sat with her waiting for the vet to call back.

It took a second phone call and almost an hour later till the vet called. I was most unhappy about that but it wasn't our usual vet but another one at the clinic. By this time our puppers was normal again. She looked sheepish and was very quiet. She then became very sleepy and dozed off. I felt much better when she rolled onto her back with her paws in the air like she usually does when she is content.

The vet felt she had an epileptic seizure. We had already made an appt last week for her yearly checkup for this Thursday evening so Dr. Eddy last night felt that it would be fine to wait until then to bring her in unless something changed. Our regular vet will probably want to do a blood workup. Needless to say we didn't sleep much last night and we are taking the afternoon off to go home to be with her.

That was very scary. It is all I can do not to cry now. But I know she is going to be fine...she has to be...and we can deal with epilepsy.

Denyce

Jadapit
08-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Omg, I'm so sorry!! I cant even imagine seeing something like that. I would have freaked out. Poor Sequoia.:( You all will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on her.

lv4dogs
08-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Oh Denyce, I am sorry you had to experience that. That must of been really scary. Poor Sequoia.
I wish yous the best of luck at your vet appointment.
Sending good thoughts your way!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-16-2005, 09:47 AM
That must have been awful for you all - PT prayers heading your way!

Ginger's Mom
08-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh my gosh, Denyce, that is horrible. I am so sorry to hear that you and Sequoia had to go through that. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that everything will be quiet until Thursday and that the doctor can quickly discover what is wrong and how to treat it. {{{Hugs}}}

4 Dog Mother
08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Denyce,
Snoopy has been having seizures for over a year now. And they are as scary as you described. His come in clusters,so it is good if Sequoia only had one that night. It is so darn hard seeing your baby seize and not be able to do anything about it. I have found that if you pet Snoopy while he is going through it and talk quietly and calmly (no matter what is going on inside of you) he seems to come out of it faster and seems calmer after. He is always very hungry, thirsty and tired after one.

He is on phenibarbital and now since the one near Easter potassium bromide. He has not had one since then - and I am hoping he never has another one.

From what I have been told, some dogs have them occasionally without medication and others repeatedly without medication. Our neighbors have a dog that has one about every six months but it is very mild in nature so they don't give her anything for them. Often they cannot pinpoint what causes them.

By the way, crying is okay, nobody likes to see their baby like that! PM me if you want. You will be in my thoughts and prayes. Diana

cyber-sibes
08-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Poor Sequoia. And poor you- my son had a seizure when he was about 2 1/2, it's so scarey- you feel totaly helpless. (He outgrew them). And my Mom's dog had seizures for years. don't know if you've heard this but siberians are one of the breeds prone to epilepsy. Hopefully your vet will help you decide what's her best treatment. My mom's dog never did take anything, they just had to try to get her in a safe room where she couldn't get hurt on anything when she acted like a seizure was coming on. Prayers gong out for your beautiful girl and slurpy kisses from the cyber-sibes.

luvofallhorses
08-16-2005, 11:03 AM
:( I am so sorry. You are all in my thoughts & prayers.

(((hugs)))

lizbud
08-16-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry. That must have been the scariest thing to have
happen.:( I've seen seizures in people, but have never had a
pet experience one. Prayers that Sequoia gets a good checkup
on her Vet visit.

shais_mom
08-16-2005, 01:46 PM
it is scary - my greyhound had them.
It was awful.
hugs to all of you. Hopefully she won't have anymore.

lute
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
omg! how scary! i'm so sorry you had to go through that.

DJFyrewolf36
08-16-2005, 02:28 PM
My thoughts are with you and Sequoia. Seazures are scary! I've had a few happen to me and they really are quite taxing on the body.
My parents RB doberman, Blue, had a couple of them later on in his life but they were mild and required no medication. I hope the vet can figure out whats going on, and if medication is needed, I hope they can find one that helps as I have noticed (with me anyhow, not sure about dogs) getting the right one is kind of hit and miss. Hopefully though, it just won't happen again!

*Hugs* to you and Sequoia!!

kittycats_delight
08-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't mean to scare anyone but our RB Shadow had seizures about 2 times a year for about 4 years and we were always told unless they become more frequent or there are more then 2 in a 6 week period then not to worry. Well this past year he started having them more frequently and they became more aggressive. He would loose all control of his bodily functions. He would urinate and defectate on the floor and all over himself. Finally after changing vets and freaking out they ran test, all kinds of them. Shadow had a massive brain tumor. Please, please, please get them to check for that. We lost Shadow cause it was too late. You say this is Sequoia's first. Have them check for that possiblity as it will be early on and can be hepled. I know the feeling or terror, and helplessness seeing your baby go through this. I am praying with all my being it is nothing so serious as our Shadow had and can be controlled with meds. Please keep us updated.

(((((HUGS for all of you))))))

Michelle & the girls

chocolatepuppy
08-16-2005, 03:40 PM
How scarey! I will say a prayer for Sequoia.

cocker_luva
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM
get better baby

Kfamr
08-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh no. :( I've never experienced/seen a seizure of any sort but from what i've read I know it's a pretty scary thing.

Please keep us updated on the pretty girl.

finn's mom
08-16-2005, 06:25 PM
Oh, wow, Denyce...that is a scary thing to witness. My RB boy, Bruno, had one when he was around 13 or 14 for the first time in his life. He was getting groomed by a mobile groomer and she brought him into the house wet because the dryer made him have a seizure. I felt so bad for him, he was such a sweet boy, and, I hated that he had felt so scared by the dryer. He pulled through it quickly, though, and, acted like it had never happened. She made a note of it, though, and, the next two times I used the service, they just brought him in wrapped in towels. :) Poor Sequoia, I hope it's nothing too serious. I'll be thinking of her. I hope the vet can find out what triggered it.

joycenalex
08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
denyce, alex the wonder dog has had seizures for almost 8 1/2 years, often monthly. like snoopy, he is on phenobarbital and some other meds. the web site www.canine-epilepsy.com has been a godsend to me. check it out and join us, there is a wealth of info there. and there are still times when i cry during/after his seizures.

sabies
08-16-2005, 09:05 PM
So sorry to hear - lots of good thoughts heading your way. Sequoia don't worry you are in good hands!

Suki Wingy
08-16-2005, 09:23 PM
OMG! I know how that feels! It is the most terrifying feeling in the world!:( Feel better soon baby!:( NiƱo has a really mild epilepsy, but has had about 4 seisures. The first one I was half asleep on the couch and he was sleeping up against it and then started to really thrash and vibrate at the same time. He has always been sleeping when he has one. Once he scraped his leg really bad on the window so I suggest that if she has another one (:( ) you should try and cover sharp objects and if you have a basement to close the door to it (!) I hope she doesn't have another!

petslover
08-16-2005, 10:12 PM
I hope shes feeling better.

jesse_3
08-16-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh no! My mom found my RB dog having a seisure one time, then she had never had anymore.

I really have nothing to offer but my comfort and prayers(((((HUGS)))))) Get better soon Sequoia.

Steph and Jes

Kosy
08-17-2005, 01:11 PM
My standard poodle Sylvie had epilepsy, and yes, it's a very scary sight. Hopefully your baby won't seize regularly,and need to go on phenobarbitol, as phenobarb has a bad effect on the liver. Keep us posted. I have several good resources available.

Denyce
08-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone for all your support and prayers. I have been reading up on Epilepsy and had actually already found that website before I even posted on Pet Talk...*L*

Last night Sequoia was more herself although still tired. She played a little and enjoyed a Frosty Paws treat. But then she was content to sit on the loveseat recliner with us and sleep through Big Brother and Rockstar INXS.

We see the vet tomorrow evening at 6:30. I will post an update on Friday but there won't be any lab results till next week I am sure.

We don't have any stairs in the house at all she can fall down and her kennel is pretty safe and secure. She has a lounge chair in it she sleeps on but I would hate to take that from her. It is only about 2 feet of a fall if she was to fall. We are going to look into rubber mats that could be put down on the ground. She rarely goes to the bathroom in her kennel anyway and that way it would be a softer landing.

I have a feeling this wasn't her first seizure just the first we knew about. There have been other evenings when after we got home from work she wasn't very interested in playing...just sleeping. I would wonder about it but I never thought it would be because she was exhausted from a seizure. I just thought the chippies and birds kept her more awake or something.

We plan on doing a lot of research...have everything we can checked out on her physically and do what seems to be best for our beloved puppers.

It is funny, you know in your head that everything is going to be fine, it is just hard not to feel a bit sad in your heart. I hugged her way more than she was happy with last night...hehehehe...

Denyce

lizbud
08-17-2005, 05:43 PM
I hope the Vet can help reassure you tomorrow. You sound
like you are doing everything you can to make Sequoia safe
and comforatable. Maybe this incident will be one of those out
of the blue experiences & never happen again. Lets hope.:)