PDA

View Full Version : Kinder Kewl!

zippy-kat
03-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Think back...'member the year 1969? :cool:

Yeah, me neither:p --but apparently pet Talk does! lol (was there any such thing as Inet back then? lol)

Here's whatcha do:

1. Go to Pet General
2. At the bottom of the page, set to ASCENDING order and then set from BEGINNING
3. After it pulls up, the first post should read: Pictures of Your Bird!! by Rottieluver45. Look at the date in the 'last post column' it sez, 12-31-1969!

PetTalk's been around longer than we thought! lol

I could be mistaken, but if you reply to that msg, it's going to change the '69 date. There's no text to the msg--so purdy pleaze don't reply until everyone's had a chance to look! :)

Is this an episode for Unsolved Mysteries? :p
(or maybe just Unsolved PetTalk Mysteries! Remember the disappearing posts? One of mine disappeared the other day...:cool: )

zippy-kat
03-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
...Art Bell might have an answer... :D

Haven't checked out that website yet...but bookmarked it for later! lol

Paul
03-02-2002, 11:22 PM
   This website runs on a Linux machine. Which is similar to but not the same as a unix machine.

There are a lot of different methods to count the passage of time on a computer. One of the ways unix machines use starts counting (begins the epoch) on January 1, 1970. Many dates were not recorded on our old bbs software. The new bbs software displays these dates as occurring on Dec. 31, 1969. The day before the epoch started.

A local computer company, DEC, used November 17, 1858 (from Ephemeris time) in VMS to start the epoch. The original Macintoshes used January 1, 1904.

The network that evolved into the Internet called Arpanet began in the 1960s. I believe CompuServe started in 1969. CompuServe was the AOL until AOL started giving away millions of CDs.

Paul

zippy-kat
03-03-2002, 12:48 AM
Gotcha...
Think I 'member reading/hearing the Inet started as a college 'project' (not sure if that's the right word) somewhere in California...

Would be interesting to know how fast the computers were back then... I'm sure it's something we'd scoff at today!

zippy-kat
03-03-2002, 01:54 AM
....someone quipped that The University of California at Berkley in the late 1960's gave us LSD and Unix :D One out of two isn't bad

uh-oh...the begining of this topic stated: Think back...'member the year 1969? Let the record show, I don't remember '69 cos I wuzn't born yet...NOT b/c of drug related reasons ;) :p

Dixieland Dancer
03-03-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Paul

This website runs on a Linux machine. Which is similar to but not the same as a unix machine.

The network that evolved into the Internet called Arpanet began in the 1960s. I believe CompuServe started in 1969. CompuServe was the AOL until AOL started giving away millions of CDs.

Paul

Now you are talking my business. Linux is actually an operating system that runs on many different types of machines. It can run on smaller machines such as PC based servers or on the big boys (mainframes). I am currently installing Linux on a IBM Z900 machine (IBM's newest mainframe that was just announced a month ago. It runs in 64 bit mode) to convert some older Unix applications that need upgraded.

Unix System Services has been an integral part of the mainframe TCP/IP architecture for about a decade now. TCP/IP is the protocol that runs the Internet. It has grown (especially in the last 5 years) to be a required part of the mainframe OS. Actually, IBM does not call them mainframes any more. They are now called Transactions Servers. This was a naming ploy they used to help sell these bigger machines when everyone was freaked out that the MAINFRAME was dying! They are now being sold in record numbers.

Actually, Arpanet was created at Berkley (by AL GORE - LOL, sorry couldn't resist the shot) as a project for the federal government. They needed a way to network all their computers for sharing information since it was difficult having some info here and some info there. Arpanet was based on the subnet theory of numbering addresses. IE... PETOFTHEDAY.com is actually a number address of 64.246.0.213 which you could put in the URL address instead of petoftheday.com and you would be able to get to it. However, since it is easier to remember words than numbers they devised a layer of TCP/IP called DNS (Domain name server) which translates the name into the number for you so you don't have to remember the number.

CompuServe and Prodigy were the first Internet service providers and I'm not sure but I think ended up being bought out by AOL.

CICS which only runs on mainframes, is a program that allows numerous users to run millions of transactions at the same time. CICS will no longer be supported by IBM though after the end of this year. It has evolved into Transaction Server which is still CICS under the covers but with a lot more power. CICS itself does not calculate dates but rather interfaces with applications written in either assember or cobol to figure dates. Some application programmers actually wrote some weird calculations to determine dates in applications they were responsible for. Thanks to Y2K and a rush to be Y2K compliant by a lot of companies, there are more weird date calculations out there by contractors specifically brought in to do date conversions for Y2K than ever before. You know the old (but true saying) Garbage in, Garbage out!

I'm sorry... I'll stop boring you now. This is probably already WTMI (Way too much information)!

And BTW.... I remember the year 1969. I was 10 years old!

lbaker
03-03-2002, 09:28 AM
...maybe it was George Carlin but I heard somewhere (I forget just where) that "anyone that says they remember the 60's is lieing"..... but I'm not sure about the quote anyway. I do remember when we had punch cards for computers....oh Dawg, I am aging myself.
Laurie

tatsxxx11
03-03-2002, 09:55 AM
I really can't contribute anything too germane to the technical discussion. HOWEVER, did you guys know that the Apollo mission spacecraft (yes, conspiracy mongers, I am of the mind that we really DID go to the moon;)) had no greater, if not LESS computerized capability than we have on our own pc's today??? Amazing! I am SURE Spencer will flesh out the details here!

zippy-kat
03-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer

Actually, Arpanet was created at Berkley (by AL GORE - LOL, sorry couldn't resist the shot) as a project for the federal government.

I'm sorry... I'll stop boring you now. This is probably already WTMI (Way too much information)!

Al Gore...LOL;) :p

Not at all WTMI--furry interesting!

sammi
03-03-2002, 11:59 AM
Oh yes I remember 1969 and I was over 10 !!!:eek:

lynnestankard
03-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Me Too Sami

And I was waaaaaay over 10 - got married the year after!!!!

Lynne (the old one!):D :D

momoffuzzyfaces
03-03-2002, 01:56 PM
It's the year I graduated from High School. Oh, the parties!
:D :D :D

Karen
03-03-2002, 02:01 PM
I do not remember Woodstock from 1969, but I remeber many things very clearly. I remember the moon landing, because my older siblings dragged me over to the (small, black and white) television and made me sit still and watch it with them. This is important, they said. (Understatement there!) Another important moment was sleeping over at Grandma's house, because my mom went to the hospital to have my little brother! :) Also pretty important, at least for us. I could go on, but, suffice it to say Mr. Carlin, and maybe those who were AT Woodstock don't remember the 60s, but that wasn't true and isn't true, for everyone.

Randi
03-03-2002, 02:45 PM
I just want to say two things here: I wish Macintosh had got in the lead instead of Microsoft! I have to sit here on a PC, because if I want a job ...... you know!

And yes, I do remember Woodstock - Great music! (wasn't there though, unfortunately! but I was in Hyde Park in 69) Anybody remember Alvin Lee? Ten Years After? Rock on!!!:D

Am I getting out of line here? LOL

zippy-kat
03-03-2002, 03:10 PM
:) lucky for you guys, you can't hear me sing...lol :D

Just wanted to share that I've enjoyed reading everyone's "rekollektshuns..."

'Cept Chuck, who cain't member his...LOL ;)

...all I remember about 1969 was Woodstock, then I forgot everything else, man...

Former User
03-03-2002, 04:09 PM
I guess I reveal my hair colour here since I don't understand this computer talk at all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Also, I don't remember '69, wasn't born yet :rolleyes:

Dixieland Dancer
03-03-2002, 06:17 PM
I have always used PC's but would have liked for Apple to have had some business people to take on Bill Gates and Microsoft.

Personally, I would of liked for IBM to get OS/2 out in the marketplace before Bill Gates took over PC land. It was a much more stable operating system and never gave you a General protection fault error which caused the whole system to become unstable. Actually mainframes still use OS/2 on the Hardware Management Console of the box.

Spencer,
Mainframes aren't the only machine in town but they are the biggest and MOST DEPENDABLE! Although, If it weren't for mainframes then I probably would be running a doggy daycare center today:( Oh well..... and just for giggles, I don't remember too much about the 70's that was more positive than the 60's except I finally graduated from High School in 1977. My 25 year reunion is this year! :eek:

tatsxxx11
03-03-2002, 08:18 PM
Randi...Ten Years After, "Goin Home!" Yes!!!

lizbud
03-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Candy,

Just wanted to say that I am totally impressed with your
knowledge of the OS/390 Operating system & the
mainframe enviroment . CICS at our center is used mostly
as a access/database thing with TCPIP handling FTP's
and Connecttions for the Lan network.
Personal opinion here; but I don't think the mainframes
will ever go away completely. Liz.