PDA

View Full Version : Camera's - any tips?

cali
08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
ok, one of the things I have been looking forward to for years is when I get a job I can get myself a new camera, a GOOD one, I have fallan seriously behind with camera quality here it used to be "oh your pics are so good!" and now its "were those taken with a cell?" lol no, with an older $80 camera lol well here is the camera I have been dreaming about, doesw anyone have any experince with it? it seems to fit exactly what I want in a camera.

its a Nikon D70 digital SLR

http://www.abesofmaine.com/images/zoom/nkd70.jpg

and the info given:

Catch all the action: With 3 frames per second and a Dynamic Buffer that lets you capture every special moment you want to photograph.
More speed: Featuring a 1/8000 second shutter speed and a synch speed of 1/500 second for flash.
Easy-to-Use Features: Flexible Digital Vari-Program modes, a Nikon-exclusive feature, lets photographers begin shooting right away by setting the camera on a specific auto mode. Portrait, Landscape, Close-Up, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Landscape, Auto.
Versatility: Choose from a variety of file formats, including Nikon's RAW mode (NEF), JPEG formats or Nikon's exclusive compressed JPEG + NEF combination.
A Real Turn On! Just switch it on and you're ready to take pictures. No waiting for the camera to start up.
Complex Technology That's Simple to Use: The D70 displays menus with simple or detailed information on a bigger LCD viewing screen.
More Exposure Control: Shoot in any lighting environment with the D70's built-in creative lighting system and 3D Color Matrix meter with 1,005-pixel RGB Sensor.
Type of Camera: Single-lens reflex digital camera
Effective Pixels: 6.1 million
Image Sensor: RGB CCD, 23.7 x 15.6 mm; total pixels: 6.24 million
Image Size (pixels): 3008 x 2000 [L], 2240 x 1448 [M], 1504 x 1000 [S]
Sensitivity: 200 to 1600 (ISO equivalent) in steps of 1/3 EV
Storage Media: CompactFlash" (CF) Card (Type I and II ) and Microdrive"
Storage System: Compressed NEF (RAW): 12-bit lossless compression, JPEG: JPEG baseline-compliant
File System: Exif 2.21, Compliant DCF 2.0 and DPOF
Storage (Number of: RAW approx. 23, FINE approx. 73, NORMAL approx. 144, BASIC approx. 279, RAW & BASIC approx. 21
White Balance: Auto (TTL white balance with 1,005 pixels RGB sensor), six manual modes with fine-tuning, preset white balance, white balance bracketing possible
LCD Monitor: 1.8-in., 130,000 -dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
Playback Function: 1 frame: Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments); Magnifying playback; Slide show; Histogram indication; Highlight point display; Auto image rotation
Delete Function: Card format, All frames delete, Selected frames delete
Video Output: Can be selected from NTSC and PAL
Interface: USB: Mass Storage and PTP selectable
Text Input: Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in Exif header
Compatible Lenses:
DX Nikkor: All functions supported;
Type G- or D-AF Nikkor: All functions supported;
Micro Nikkor 85mm F2.8D: All functions supported except some exposrue modes;
Other AF Nikkor (excluding lenses for F3AF): All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering, i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash for digital SLR;
AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering, i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash for digital SLR and autofocus;
Non-CPU: Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster.
IX Nikkor Lenses cannot be used.

Picture Angle: Equivalent in 35 mm [135] format is approx. 1.5 times lens focal length
Viewfinder: Fixed-eyelevel penta-Dach-mirror type; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.6 to +0.5 m -1)
Eyepoint: 18 mm (-1.0 m -1)
Focusing Screen: B-type BriteView clear matte screen II with superimposed focus brackets and On-Demand grid lines
Viewfinder Frame Coverage: Approx. 95%
Viewfinder Magnification: Approx. 0.75x with 50 mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
Viewfinder Information: Focus indications, Metering system, AE/FV lock indicator, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure/Exposure compensation indicator,Exposure mode, Flash output level compensation, Exposure compensation, Number of remaining exposures
Autofocus: TTL phase detection by Nikon Multi-CAM900 autofocus module with AF-assist illuminator (approx. 0.5 m to 3.0 m) Detection range: EV -1 to +19 (ISO 100 equivalent, at normal temperature: 20°C/68°F)
Lens Servo: 1) Autofocus (AF): single-servo AF (AF-S); continuous servo AF (AF-C); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status2) Manual focus (M)
Focus Area: Can be selected from 5 focus areas
AF Area Mode: 1) Single Area AF, 2) Dynamic Area AF,3) Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF
Focus Lock: Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
Exposure Metering: TTL full-aperture exposure metering system(1) 3D color matrix metering with 1,005-pixel RGB sensor(2) Center-weighted: Weight of 75% (8mm dia. circle) given to 6, 8, 10, or 13 mm dia. circle in center of frame, or weighting based on average of entire frame(3) Spot: Meters 2.3 mm dia. circle (about 1% of frame) centered on active focus area
Exposure Metering: 1) EV 0 to 20 (3D color matrix or center-weighted metering)2) EV 2 to 20 (spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, 20°C/68°F)
Exposure Meter Coupling: CPU coupling
Exposure Mode: Digital Vari-Program ( Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close up, Sports, Night landscape, Night portrait),programmed auto [P] with flexible program; shutter-priority auto [S]; aperture priority auto [A]; manual [M]
Exposure Compensation: ±5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
Auto Exposure Lock: Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
Auto Exposure Bracketing: Two or three frames ±2EV in 1/3 or 1/2 steps
Shooting Modes: 1) Single frame shooting mode2) Continuous shooting mode: approx. 3 frames per second3) Self-timer/remote control mode
Shutter: Combined mechanical and CCD electronic shutter,30 to 1/8000 s in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV, bulb
Sync Contact: X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/500 second
Flash Control : 1) TTL: TTL flash control by 1,005 pixel RGB sensor Built-in Speedlight: i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering or mode dial set to [M]) SB-800 or 600: i-TTL balanced Fill-Flash or standard i-TTL flash (spot metering)2) Auto aperture: Available with SB-800 and 600 with CPU lens3) Non-TTL Auto: Available with Speedlights such as SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27, and 22s4) Range-priority manual available with SB-800 and 600
Flash Sync Mode: 1) Front-Curtain Sync (normal sync), 2) Red-Eye Reduction, 3) Red-Eye Reduction with Slow Sync, 4) Slow Sync, 5) Rear-Curtain Sync
Built-in Speedlight: auto flash with auto pop-up[P], [S], [A], [M]: manual pop-up with button release Guide number (ISO 200/ISO 100, m): approx. 15/11 (manual full 17/12)
Flash Compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2EV
Accessory Shoe: Standard ISO hot-shoe contact with safety lock provided
Self-timer: Electronically controlled timer with 2 to 20 second duration
Depth of Field Preview: When CPU lens is attached, lens aperture can be stopped down and previewed by pressing the preview button
Remote Control: ML-L3 wireless remote controller (optional)
Power Source: One rechargeable Nikon Li-ion Battery EN-EL3;Three CR2 lithium batteries (with supplied CR2 Battery Holder MS-D70) AC Adapter EH-5 (optional)
Tripod Socket: 1/4 inch (ISO1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 5.5 x 4.4 x 3.1 inches
Weight (without battery): Approx. 21 oz without battery, memory card, body cap, or monitor cover
Supplied Accessories*: Strap, Body cap, Eyepiece cap, LCD monitor cover, Video cable, USB cable, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3, Quick Charger MH-18, PictureProject CD-ROM, CR2 Battery Holder MS-D70

catnapper
08-15-2005, 03:29 PM
I have a Nikon and LOVE my camera. This is much more powerful than mine, so I can only imagine the picture quality!

swimma253
08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Ohh Im going to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous of you if you get that! Thats the exact camera I want! :p :D I am saving up to get it. It really does seem perfect. :p

slleipnir
08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I haven't used it, but I hear good things from it. People use Nikon's on an art forum and the pictures are beautiful. SLR's are especially nice. They take pictures of what you see and not like other cameras that are off. The changable lens (in my opinion) are great! My digital SLR has that and I have a normal lens and a 200mm telephoto (hopefully a macro soon too)

This camera reminds me of mine only it's a Canon Rebel

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-rebel/gfx/rebel-frontleft.jpg
I'm extremely happy with it. I love how you can just click and take pics. My other camera (canon A95) takes a while to focus and such.

cloverfdx
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Awsome camera, i want one one day ;). Also alot of people use the D70 as a professional camera so it may take a while to get use to. Have a look at the D50 a friend just bought that a couple of weeks ago and adores it, the quality is just as good etc.

shutterbug0303
08-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Just thought I'd post and let you know it's a GREAT camera!!!

I own the baby and I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!!!

My suggestions - make sure you get a lens with macro if you like close-ups - the lens that comes with the "kit" doesn't have a macro setting and it sucks close up. Second, save up for a flash...but you'll be saving for a while...LOL...it's practically as expensive as the camera (ok, so not really, but it is pretty pricey). And third, make sure you have at least a 256 MB card but the bigger the better! I have a 512MB and it great - just the right amout of space to go nuts without having to worry.

The battery life is fantastic! I think I've only charged it 3 times in the 7 months I've owned it...and I take photos constantly!! Oh, and if you get a chance, take a photography class with it! I'm signed up now and I'm hoping to get some info as to how to better use the manual settings since I'm a sucker for auto a lot of the times....

The camera was fairly new when I got it and I paid about $1400.00 (US dollars) for the body, Nikkor 80mm lens, 512 MB compact flash and whatever goodies come with the body. The price has come down considerably :D so when you're ready to purchase......ENJOY!!!!! :D