PDA

View Full Version : Dogs & Transportation Photo Contest & Paw Footage

ParNone
08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Hi y'all!

Just a reminder that the theme for this month's picture contest is Dogs and Transportation and entries need to be in by Aug 21st. Read the contest details Here (http://www.nothinbuttdogs.com/piccontest.htm) at Nothin' Butt Dogs.

Also, if anybody's still working on the paw footage, I think I need to put a due date on that too, so I can wrap up my lil' video project. So let's have that due by Aug 21st too.

Thanks,
Les...

Jamieejo85
08-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Entered:D

ParNone
08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Thanks Jamieejo85! I got it!

Lexi_Lover
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
I've been entered for a couple of weeks now! :p Bout time everybody else entered!

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I haven't gotten one of Finn...but, I'm hoping to soon!

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Tango hurt her paws so I'm just waiting for them to fully heal and then I'm going to try to get some pics and enter....

beeniesmom
08-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I'll try to enter.... I'm lacking ideas on what kind of pic to enter.

ParNone
08-17-2005, 03:19 PM
I've got the page updated with the latest submissions. Keep'em comin' guys. :)

Les...

ParNone
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Just put up some more updates to the submissions page. 2 more days left y'all!

lv4dogs
08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I just gpt mine in!

cyber-sibes
08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
*bump - deadline's coming up!

ParNone
08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for bumping cyber-sibes! :)

hola lv4dogs! Kaige is up on the submission page now. His eyes look so green in that picture. They're gorgeous. For some reason I thought they were blue.

Voting starts tomorrow. Good Luck everybody!

Les...

ParNone
08-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey y'all!

The voting page is up and ready for business this morning.
You can access it Here (http://www.nothinbuttdogs.com/voting2.htm).

Les...

beeniesmom
08-23-2005, 11:06 AM
whew.... voting is hard work!

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
whew.... voting is hard work!

It sure is, I gave up a couple hours ago. LOL I figure even though there are no rules I thought I'd make it more fair & let everyone else do the voting. I just can't sit there & vote, vote, vote, vote. I have a lot of better things to do.
His time will come, everyones time will come!

beeniesmom
08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
It sure is, I gave up a couple hours ago. LOL I figure even though there are no rules I thought I'd make it more fair & let everyone else do the voting. I just can't sit there & vote, vote, vote, vote. I have a lot of better things to do.
His time will come, everyones time will come!

:D
Kaige sure is a cutie.....
I voted for him a few times myself... even if my kids are in the contest too!
I think that only one vote should be allowed per person.
HEY LES, can you do that? One vote per person.... that way, we won't stay up all night trying to win a bumpersticker in an unfair manner..... not everyone has a lot of time on thier hands.

lv4dogs
08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
:D
Kaige sure is a cutie.....
I voted for him a few times myself... even if my kids are in the contest too!
I think that only one vote should be allowed per person.
HEY LES, can you do that? One vote per person.... that way, we won't stay up all night trying to win a bumpersticker in an unfair manner..... not everyone has a lot of time on thier hands.

I voted for your kids too, actually I voted at least one vote for everyone! I figure if your allowed to vote as many times as you like for as many pets as you like why not make it more unfair & just vote for everyone. LOL

I too think that only one person should be allowed to vote once, that way it is fair.
In this case I consider every one of them to be both the winner & looser, cause ya don't really know who is the winner or looser.

Don't get me wrong it is great Les, that you are offering a contest & a prize it's just I don't think it's fair this way. And honest to god truth I'm not just saying it so I (or a certain someone) can win, I just honestly don't think it's fair. I am in it for the fun, not to win or loose.

beeniesmom
08-23-2005, 02:11 PM
well said! :) Kaigesmom

ParNone
08-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Beeniesmom and lv4dogs!

Actually I originally had it one vote per person and people were cheating. It's amazingly easy to get by the IP or Cookie restrictions that all the voting software I researched seem to use. So it was extremely unfair before to honest folks, which is why I took the restrictions off to level the playing field against cheaters. I also made it where the voting winner wasn't eligible again until Jan 2006, to give other ppl a chance to win the bumper sticker.

I've tried finding a voting software that you had to register by email to get around the cheater issue, but I haven't found one yet that wasn't apart of a forum system and also limited the polls like it does here. I'm not really ready to set up my own forum. I see how much work Karen does on that here and I don't think that'd be feasible with the current full time job I have.

So anyway I'm open for suggestions if anybody knows of a voting software that works with email registering, no poll limiting and no forum set up. Or any other suggestions on a way to get around the contest fairness would be much appreciated.

Les...

beeniesmom
08-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Ok, thanks for the info!

cyber-sibes
08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
Hope you find that software, Les...Would it be feasible to have to sign a list to vote?

dukedogsmom
08-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I think there should be a way for you to only vote once at one computer. That's a little bit ridiculous and the one pic that is winning isn't even the cutest. It's a shame that people have to be that way.

ParNone
08-24-2005, 07:22 AM
hi cyber-sibes! Yeh I've been looking for one with email registering. No luck yet. I've been thinking maybe I just need to ditch the voting and have maybe a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place that's Judged. Would people still enter if there was no voting?

Hi dukesdogmom! They do have software that limits one vote per computer that I've seen and they all used IP address or Cookies to accomplish that, both of which can be gotten around to cheat. The IP address is harder, but not impossible, then the Cookies, but with that set I then had numerous complaints about people not being allowed to vote that hadn't voted yet. It was a nitemare.

With any kind of voting to determine the winner, you won't be able to ensure the "best" picture wins. With voting, it's always going to be a form of popularity. That's why I have the best prize, T-shirt, selected by 3 Judges. None of which are pettalkers or even dog people, in the hopes that they won't be biased towards a certain dog and will pick the best representation of the theme. I think they've done really well so far.

Les...

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm not too computer literate and didn't know it was that time consuming to aquire such a voting system. you are right, it was more unfair if people cheated than it is now, with no restrictions.
And by golly gee I fell like a dummy, I didn't know you had not only the popular vote winner but also a judged winner. I didn't quite understand how that worked from the way it was on posted on the site.

Like I said I am in it for the fun of it. Yeah I did vote for my boy a few times, but after a short time I realized it was getting to be rediculous so I then just voted for everybody.

That's a little bit ridiculous and the one pic that is winning isn't even the cutest. It's a shame that people have to be that way.
I didn't think that was very nice at all. "one mans trash is another mans treasure" If everyone always had the same opinion the world would be a very dull place. Stating an opinion that can easily hurt someones feelings & has nothing to do with teaching or learning a lesson is better off left unsaid. Personally I love bostons & think that they are so very cute.

Jamieejo85
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Good luck to everyone even though it is pretty obvious who the winner is:)

ParNone
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks lv4dogs! That's a very good point. It is very subjective, even in the Judging. What may grab one person, may not grab another.

Hope everybody keeps in mind that it's all suppose to be in fun and to be a way for everybody to show off their puppers.

I'm really wanting everybody to get a free bumper sticker, but I can't afford to just give everybody one right now who enters. So this was a way to try to give everybody a good shot at winning one. Guess I'll have to think some more on how I can acheive that goal.

Les...

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ParNone
I'm really wanting everybody to get a free bumper sticker, but I can't afford to just give everybody one right now who enters. So this was a way to try to give everybody a good shot at winning one. Guess I'll have to think some more on how I can acheive that goal.

Les...

Well, with people only getting to win once a year that gives a lot of people a chance at winning one! Besides they're only $4 and you need to make money too.

Kfamr
08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
I think Beenie & Frankie's entry is especially cute and every bit as deserving as the others. :(

cyber-sibes
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Would people still enter if there was no voting?
I would! The way I look at it, it's an opportunity to go take a picture you might not otherwise take, it's a chance to get creative with your puppers! And you would still have the judged photo, picked by non-PT folks.

beeniesmom
08-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I think there should be a way for you to only vote once at one computer. That's a little bit ridiculous and the one pic that is winning isn't even the cutest. It's a shame that people have to be that way.

Thanks a lot Val!
That was very mean of you to say that.
I THINK MY DOGS ARE CUTE AND APPARENTLY SO DO OTHER PEOPLE.

beeniesmom
08-24-2005, 02:45 PM
LES, Please remove my entry from the contest.

k9krazee
08-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
I've been thinking maybe I just need to ditch the voting and have maybe a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place that's Judged. Would people still enter if there was no voting?

That sounds like a great idea and is pretty fair! I would definately still enter.

Jadapit
08-24-2005, 02:51 PM
LES, Please remove my entry from the contest.

Don't let what one person said get you down! Your dogs are adorable, lots of us think so. That comment about them should have never been made. It was rude and totally uncalled for.

lv4dogs
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Don't let what one person said get you down! Your dogs are adorable, lots of us think so. That comment about them should have never been made. It was rude and totally uncalled for.

I agree. Heck my dog is in the contest & I even stood up for you & voted for you!!! LOL I love your little Beens & Frank & I don't mean to eat either, well eat them up with love, I can do that! LOL
Don't let one person put a damper on it. Everyones entitled to their own opinion, just somw should know when to keep their mouths shut!

RobiLee
08-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, I feel like chiming in here...lol. Personally I don't see anything wrong with the way Par has the contest set up. I mean the rules are clearly stated. For the voting part it says: " Vote as many times as you like. No restrictions. The most popular and or persistent voter is going to be the winner of a shiny new bumper sticker". Notice the word "persistent". I see nothing wrong with that. There is also a JUDGES vote, which I think adds to the contest. The rules also state that you can only win once a year. I think its all pretty clear and fair. If you entered you know exactly what you are getting into.;)

Now, Beenies Mom! Don't you dare ask for those precious babies to be withdrawn from the contest! I love, love, love Beens and Franks;)! They are super duper cute and make me think of Katie and Tori the way they hang out and play together. I hate that someone's insensitive comment has hurt your feelings. You go and be as PERSISTENT as you want to be;)

I'm off to do my own voting now! It is very hard as I find them all adorable:D. I do not envy the judges on trying to pick a favorite!:p

ParNone
08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi guys!

I'm still at work, so I don't have a lot of time to post, but things are getting kind of heated so I wanted to say something real quick.

I sent a PM to Beeniesmom asking that she remain in the contest. She's done nothing wrong. She's followed the rules as I had set them up. Also, those cuties Beenie and Frankie are just as worthy to win as any others entered.

I've gotten a couple of good suggestions from cyber-sibes. I need to go over them with Judes first, but I think we may institute those for next month. I'll come back later with details after I discuss'em with Judes. I don't really want to change this month's contest though, since the rules for that were already stated. I don't think it's fair to change'em mid-stream.

Okay I gotta get back to work. Be back later.
Les...

dukedogsmom
08-24-2005, 06:14 PM
I owe everyone an apology. I honestly wasn't thinking when I said that. It wasn't intended to be mean but now I see how hurtful it was.

Lexi_Lover
08-24-2005, 06:20 PM
I just wanted to thank anybody who voted for Lexi! I wasn't here, so I never had a chance to vote, but Beenie's and Frankie's picture is quite adorable! As is everbody's elses! :D I wanted to thank everybody as well who complimented Lexi's picture! I really appreciate it!

Congrats to you and your pups Carmen! It looks like B&F are the winners by a mile's length! :)

Val, I realized that what you said was probably worded incorrectly and didn't mean to come off so harsh. It was very nice of you to apologize as well instead of avoiding it completly or jumping back!

cyber-sibes
08-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Lexi lover- the voting goes on till the 28th & you have PLENTY of time to vote!
Robin, thanks for pointing out that part about "and/or the most persistent" in the rules....... Now back to the fun part, looking at all those adorable doggies again!

ParNone
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Hi guys!

Sorry I didn't get back last night. I didn't hook up with Judes until today.

For next month, I think what we're going to do is have a thread for voting for the month's contest theme, here on Pettalk. The prize will still be a bumper sticker. That should hopefully resolve the issues I've been having with the voting portion of the contest and put the fun back into it.

There will still be a Judge's Pick at Nothin' Butt Dogs. We haven't decided yet, but we may change it where there's a 1st place (T-shirt) and 2nd place (Bumper Sticker) winner. We still have to hash that out before next month. I'll post all the details, within the rules for the contest, when I announce the next month's theme at Nothin' Butt Dogs.

We'll give the change a go for next month. If it doesn't work then we'll see about a different approach.

Thanks to everybody for supporting the contest. Hopefully we can get all the kinks worked out so it'll be fun for everybody.

Les...

beeniesmom
08-25-2005, 03:52 PM
sounds great

cyber-sibes
08-25-2005, 07:23 PM
;)

beeniesmom
08-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I owe everyone an apology. I honestly wasn't thinking when I said that. It wasn't intended to be mean but now I see how hurtful it was.

Don't worry about it. Life goes on.
No hard feelings. I appreciate the apology.

lv4dogs
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
That sounds do-able!

ParNone
09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi y'all!

Congrats to Lexi and Beenie and Frankie! The winners of Aug's Photo contest. You can view their pictures and the announcement Here (http://www.nothinbuttdogs.com/piccontest.htm).

I'll announce Sep's theme by the 3rd.

Les...

Kfamr
09-01-2005, 02:39 PM
See, Beenie and Frankie were every bit as deserving! Good job, Carmen and Congratulations to Lexi & Paula too. :D

k9krazee
09-01-2005, 03:27 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO PAULA AND CARMEN!!!! :D :D

beeniesmom
09-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Congratulations Paula. I knew Lexi would win the judges vote. If I was on the panel I would have picked LEXI too! (Great photo!)
:) Kisses to you and LEXI!

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Congratulations Paula and Carmen:D

cyber-sibes
09-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Congratulations to all the winners!
(and thanks to all the participants for posting such great pictures)

Lexi_Lover
09-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks so much everybody! Same here Carmen, I really loved their picture! :D

Congrats to Beenie and Frankie of course too, the very adorable Bostons! :D Wonderful effort to all of the praticipants! :D

lv4dogs
09-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Congrats! I LOVED that pic of Lexi!!! Glad she won!

sandragonfly
09-02-2005, 03:06 PM
LEXIGRATULATIONS!! :D

LES, just read all of this, I think I've mentioned how I didn't like the bumper sticker votings before when I had my crayola in too - and was going to offer you a better way since people could cheat one way or another - similar to your recent idea but maybe to set up a "vote" email and have everyone send you an email/whatever works a vote! you do the counts/marks. that way you'll know they're different people...maybe that works? (or something like that)..

doing votes on here sounds good too but wouldn't there be much people? well, we'll see! :)

yeah, I would still enter if there's no bumper stick! :cool: