PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good website!

chrangharris
08-15-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for a website that can give me average prices for various products for Aug 2004. I'm having a hard time finding anything. Can any of you guys help?
This is for Misha's scrapbook- I'm doing a page with newspaper clippings and I thought it would be neat to add in the prices of things like milk, gas, houses, cars, average income, etc.

Laura's Babies
08-15-2005, 11:54 AM
If anyone saves old cash register reciept, that would be a great way to get prices!

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for, but may be a place to start. I know most of the sites like that are the 40's through 60's, not as recent as 2004.

Anyway, try this to get you maybe in a direction:
http://www.rwrinnovations.com/birthday_chronicle.htm

kuhio98
08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Chris ~ I think this one has what you want:

http://www.isitpete.com/history.html

Cllick on the "What Happened on the Day You were Born?" link
Then you type in the date and get some lists back. You see historical things that happened on that day, the movies, songs, TV shows, toys and books that were popular. Keep clicking on the "Continue to Next Section" button. When you get to the final page, it gives you some prices. Here's mine for the day I was born:

Friday, February 19, 1960
Top Songs for 1960
Running Bear by Johnny Preston
Theme from A Summer Place by Percy Faith
My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own by Connie Francis
Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley
It's Now or Never by Elvis Presley
Cathy's Clown by Everly Brothers
Save the Last Dance for Me by Drifters
Stuck On You by Elvis Presley
Teen Angel by Mark Dinning

US President
Dwight D. Eisenhower
US Vice President
Richard M. Nixon
Academy Award Winners
Best Picture: The Apartment Directed By Billy Wilder
Best Actor: Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry
Best Actress: Elizabeth Taylor in Butterfield 8

1960 Prices
Bread: $0.20/loaf
Milk: $1.04/gal
Eggs: $0.90/doz
Car: $2,275
Gas: $0.31/gal
House: $18,500
Stamp: $0.04/ea
Avg Income: $6,227/yr
Min Wage: $1.00/hr
DOW Avg: 616

Have Fun!
Lisa

chrangharris
08-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Lisa- That site is perfect- exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, it doesn't have data for 2004 :( At least I have something I can earmark and go back and check later! Thanks for the info!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-16-2005, 09:06 AM
http://www.isitpete.com/history.html

Couldn't resist it! Sorry it didn't have what you wanted Chris but it was fascinating to see what was going on the day I made my entrance all those years ago....................

kuhio98
08-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by chrangharris
Lisa- That site is perfect- exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, it doesn't have data for 2004 :( At least I have something I can earmark and go back and check later! Thanks for the info!

Rats!

chrangharris
08-16-2005, 10:01 AM
They go up to the year 2002- so I only have another 2 years to wait to get the info! :D