PDA

View Full Version : My cat is limping...

sasvermont
03-02-2002, 03:15 PM
Graemer is limping right now. He is quite still today, but I think it is due to his sore leg. My guess is that he jumped from/to something and sprained it. Has anyone else had a cat with a sprain? I hate to take him to the Vet on the weekend...$$$$$...but don't want him to injure himself beyond what is wrong right now. He can walk on it, but limps. Yikes. The last time this happened (on a weekend) it turned out to be a bee sting and it cost me almost $300 at the emergency vet. Shall I let it be for a day or two? Thanks.

LoudLou
03-02-2002, 03:43 PM
Mocha Bean has had a sprained paw before... Of course she did on a weekend also.:rolleyes: I being the "Paranoid Parent" that I am, FREAKED. Called the vet and he said to wait it out and see if it got worse. It didn't, THANK GOD! But I kept and eye on her, finally found out she had sprained it jumping from the counters in the kitchen cause I caught her missing the jump from one counter to the other.:o I'd keep an eye on poor Graemer, but hopefully it's just a sprain from some sort of "Kitty Acrobatics". Hope Graemer gets well soon he's a handsome one!

sasvermont
03-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks LoudLou - did the vet do or give the cat anything? Right now Graemer is at the highest point in the kitchen, even though he still has a tender paw. He leaps from and to the strangest places and I suppose he did one too many this time, but, from his current antics, he is ok. He seems to have pain every now and then. He has this pitiful look on his face while hold up his paw. I just heard him drop down from the cabinet....guess he will survive. If it keeps up through tomorrow, I will call the vet on Monday just for the cat's sake! Just saw Graemer heading for the sofa - limping.... Yikes. Pets. They are just like kids! Thank god we don't have to send them to college!:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-02-2002, 08:07 PM
sasvermont, yes, I would wait and see what happens, but if you see him someplace high up, you might want to get him down yourself so he doesn't have to jump. He might not be ready to come down :rolleyes: but moms always know best don't they? ;) I don't think the jumping up will hurt him, but if you can keep him from jumping down, it might prevent any further injury or make a sprain worse.

Peanut was limping there for awhile, and I have no idea what caused it, but after a day or two she was fine and quite back to normal, so just keep an eye on him and try to keep him from jumping down from anywhere too high up.

lizbud
03-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Sasvermont,

That happened to my kitty Blackie.(black SH Domestic)
He is the heaviest of all the cats and has the shortest
legs of any of them. I used to call him El Tubbo, but stopped
b/c I wouldn't want to scar him emotionally.LOL. Blackie
missed a jump and fell(I'm pretty sure) and he limped for
a few days. I ended up taking him to the vet for a checkup.
The vet checked him out for breaks or sprains & then gave
him a 'pain shot'. Blackie showed marked improvement the
next day afterwards. Didn't really think he broke anything
but he looked soooo pitiful going up & down the stairs,
I decided to let the vet decide if it should be treated.
Hope Graemer is feeling better soon !! Liz.

sasvermont
03-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Graemer slept lots yesterday (don't they always?) and is snoozing right now. He is still limping although putting weight on it when he is sitting. Not like yesterday, when he would hold his paw up as to say "look Mommie, I've got a sore paw again - can you "pix it?"...I feel so quilty not taking him to the vet, but less now that I know it is fairly common. As I said earlier, if he is still having a problem, I will call the Vet on Monday. Thanks again for your comforting advice! I just love this web site. Such wonderful people!:D

Former User
03-04-2002, 03:56 AM
Graemer, how are you doing today? I hope no more limping so your mommy won't be worried anymore! Casper has had limping problems few times too, he made their scratching pole toy fall and hurt himself there, and kept limping for a while, but it went off then. Of course I was about to call the vet, but my husband said let's wait and see, it should go away since he still can walk and wasn't laying down all the time. Few hours later, he was fine again, I guess the most came from the scary fall, not the fact that he got hurt....

Gio
03-04-2002, 04:34 AM
Any news?

purrley
03-04-2002, 06:49 AM
Hi Sasvermont - This limping thing happened to my Braydee when he was really little. Turns out he probably pulled a muscle in his leg. I did take him to the vet but that was to ease my mind. Her examination just made me feel better that nothing was out of joint or broken and he healed within a couple of weeks. Hopefully that's all it is. I'd still have it checked just to ease your mind though. Did you check him over to see that he hasn't been bitten. Sometimes the smallest bite can get infected and cause a real problem.

sasvermont
03-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks folks. Graemer was really quiet yesterday and did walk on the leg. He is sleeping so much that Miley is now coming to me for entertainment. I called the Vet and made an appointment for Thursday, hoping that he will have improved by then. I checked his paw and leg for cuts etc. Since he doesn't go outside and since there are no bees out this time of year, it just has to be a pull or tear of some sort. I think he is in pain because he is squinting his little eyes a lot and sleeping in awkward positions. He doesn't walk with his usual strut. Miley keeps attacking him, wanting to play. I had to keep them apart yesterday, off and on, to give Graemer the rest he needs. Since there is no swelling and the leg is not hot - I am hoping all this will go away. If not, he will see the Vet later this week. Cats.:eek:

LoudLou
03-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Awww, Graemer I do hope you get well soon!:( Maybe the Vet will give ya something for the pain. I do hope your all right.

sasvermont: Hang in there I know how worrisome we get when our babies don't feel good. Keep us posted on how Graemer's doing, please. We worry 'bout y'all.

:)

Former User
03-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Oh poor Graemer, I wish you leg didn't hurt anymore :( , poor baby. Try to rest now as much as possible, and hopefully in no time, you'll be back to normal. I hope the vet will cure you then if you're not ok by then.

((((((((Graemer))))))))))) from Casper and Kitty

sasvermont
03-04-2002, 07:03 PM
Graemer is doing ok. He met me at the door and scratched on the post, as usual. He ate and then jumped back on the sofa and curled up for a nap. Miley, his sister is running around not knowing what to do with herself. He actually looks as though his back is bothering him rather than his leg. I will give it a couple more days. He is eating and using the litter box - just not playing! I hope he gets better soon because it is creating much worry for me. You know how some pet owners can be!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

lizbud
03-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Oh Gosh, now I'm worried a little bit. The fact that
he's just "doing the basics" but not acting like himself
by not playing & sleeping (more than usual?).
How do you think his back might be involved? I was
starting to feel better about Graemer but this is worrisome.
Please get better quickly little buddy !!! Paws crossed for
a speedy recovery. Liz.

sasvermont
03-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Graemer was really quiet again later last night but rallied this morning. I suppose he decided he was feeling better this AM and did his usual wake up call for me and then walk in the shower after my showering.

He isn't quite back to normal, but moving around much better than the last couple of days. I think he has figured out a way to move, without hurting so much and it just doesn't look so natural to me. He doesn't have his normal gait. I hope by him staying quiet for the most part, he will recover a little each day!

I will not cancel the Vet visit until tomorrow, just to stay on the safe side. I was so worried last night that I considered taking him to the emergency vet, but then thought about it and decided that I too would be very quiet and sleep a lot if I was hurting and had a sore muscle/paw/leg etc.

I wish he would stop jumping to and from such awkward places. He drives me crazy. The breeder told me that when he was a kitten, he jumped from a high spot onto a bed post and nearly knocked himself out. He just doesn't understand how dangerous it can be. When he was several months old he jumped from my Mom's second floor balcony onto grass, then ran away - with my chasing him for hours. He has no fear!

The breeder was telling me about one of her other cats that loves to get on to the rafters/beams in her living room. She has no idea how the cat does it. It seems to be an obession with Graemer, but not his sister Miley.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for your support. I know this wasn't life threatening, but it surely looked serious to me!

He is still not back to normal, but I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Graemer = Grammy Crackers!

:eek:

sasvermont
03-07-2002, 09:40 AM
Well, I just can't stand looking at a cat that is normally very active, just sit around and sleep. I know that sleep is good for illnesses, but I would feel even worse about Graemer if there was something more serious happening and I was unaware. So I will take my checkbook out and take him this afternoon. It is so pitiful to see him limping and sleeping and squinting his eyes. He must be in pain. Poor baby!:eek: :eek: :confused:

Gio
03-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Gook luck and keep us posted!

purrley
03-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Good Sasvermont - let us know what the DR found.

Logan
03-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Bless his heart.....he's letting you know that something isn't right. So glad you are taking him to the vet. Let us know what they say, and we'll definitely continue to pray for him to improve. :)

Logan

LoudLou
03-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Keep us Posted!! Hope Graemer is Okay.!!!!!!:eek:

sasvermont
03-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Thank you. I don't think it is life threatening, but it is so sad to see him SO inactive and SAD. It is breaking my heart. He is usually into everything and moving at a high rate of speed. He is totally idle right now - and just looks out over his pile of covers on the sofa whenever he hears something that use to drive him to distraction. I can't wait for this to be over with. I am leaving for the Vet in about an hour. I guess my kittens are like kids to me and I hate to see children and/or animals suffer. I could never work in a shelter or an orphanage. It would break my heart every moment I was there. Yikes. Good thing I work with lawyers, they never tug on anyone's heart strings! :eek: :eek:

Former User
03-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Let us know then how Greamer is okay? Poor boy, we'll be thinking of him!

Tom Horn
03-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Graemer okay now?

My cat Ingrid has a slight tick of bursitis in her left shoulder. That actually developed years ago, and it made her limp from time to time (like when she first got going), but hardly seems to bother her any more.

A few years ago, I think maybe she'd fallen on her bottom; I was worried that her tail was broken or paralyzed, because it looked really pathetic--it just hung limp and swung very slightly when she moved around, instead of being her flag & rudder. But it turned out she'd bruised it somehow (she cried when I felt it to see if there was a real problem), and I guess it hurt less simply to let it hang. She got over it within a few days, but she looked very sad during that time.

Ingrid's coming up on 15 tears old, but she's still pretty nimble. In the morning when I get out of the shower, she leaps from atop le water closet onto the sink to be in my way & try to talk me into coming back to sleep with her instead of leaving for work. If only she knew how much I'd love to do that!

Ingrid's last remaining litter mate (who was an indoor/outdoor cat named Stella) vanished from her home about 2 years ago; by then Stella wasn't much of a jumper any more. So I feel pretty good about the way Ingrid gets around. She can jump okay when & where she wants--although if something like my guitar case (latched & on its side) is available, that makes a very handy ramp to walk up before she gets on the bed.

One story about Stella: onc she got up into her humans' attic, but they didn't realize that until many hours later. Finally it was time for bed, but "Where's the cat?" By then they had begun hearing muffled cries & little noises from in the bathroom. To make a long story short, Mike had to empty all the towels out of the cabinet, and then he used an electric drill & a hammer to bash out an exit. Stella had fallen down inside the wall! Luckily she wasn't hurt, but when Stella finally came out after all that drama, she was kind of freaked out, and she followed Mike & Lynn around for days.

sasvermont
03-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Well, all is ok. The Vet couldn't figure it out. He examined Graemer from head to toe.

Graemer still won't put his weight on his injured leg, but the Vet convinced me that it is not a dislocation or break but instead just an injury to a joint. He told me to wait another week and if it is still an issue, they will do a series of xrays.

Graemer doesn't mind going to the Vet, in fact I think he enjoyed being handled by so many people at one time. I think he liked the gentle "feeling all over" by the Vet. He didn't wimper at all when they twisted and pulled on his leg. Go figure.

I am relaxed now to know that I am not doing more damage to an already injured leg, by allowing it to heal on its own. I did my duty as a MOM and so now I can relax and wait for recovery.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts. I will keep you guys posted. My guess is that this type of thing will continue to happen to that CAT, since he likes to fly around this house on any given day, jumping from one high spot to the next. Just not THIS week - and maybe not NEXT week! :eek:

LoudLou
03-07-2002, 06:49 PM
HooRaay! Graemer is Ok. Silly kittie worries his Mama like that! Kids!;)

Oh how we love them.

tatsxxx11
03-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Oh Graemer, you've really given your Mama a fright! Hope that a bit more time will bring more good news! Lots of get well hugs and kisses to you Graemer!!!

lizbud
03-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Sasvermont,

So happy the vet didn't find any fever or signs of
infection. Wow. A joint injury. Graemer must have really
'smacked' it hard.Which leg is it?, I'm thinking a front leg?
I'm so glad he got to come home & rest. Get better
quick Graemer !

p.s. Sas, did the vet suggest anything for pain or do you
guys just have to tough it out for awhile ?

sasvermont
03-08-2002, 05:37 AM
Lizbud, the vet didn't think he needed any medication since he didn't wince or meow when the vet twisted and pulled and pushed on his leg. The vet did see that Grammy wasn't putting much weight on his leg when he walked.

The injury was to his front left leg, the same one he had a hornet sting on in August this past summer. That was an emergency visit since his leg swelled. It was all over within one day, since the vet gave him a diuretic and reduced the swelling. Once the swelling went down, he was fine. I don't think these two incidents are related, although the vet did comment on it.

I love my Vet because he does not immediately jump to pills, shots and extreme measures. The vet loves cats and really likes my two - he is more of the "wait and see if it can heal on its own" type person.

Graemer is a bit of a sissy (Moma's boy) and is very spoiled. So I imagine he is cashing in on the sympathy, although he is in some pain, I am sure. Graemer is able to walk, eat, sleep, use the litter....just slowly and he is not playing. So we are going to continue on the path of "keeping an eye open" on all his vitals.

I feel so relieved that the kitty doesn't have a broken or dislocated leg.

I will keep you all posted if anything changes - but it seems as though all will be down hill from this point. I can really appreciate how stressful it is for some folks who's pets are really ill and require constant attention. Yikes. Such worry.

Thank you for your concerns!!!!

CATS!!!!!!

:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Former User
03-08-2002, 06:17 AM
But don't you just love them anyways Sas ;)

Good vibes for Graemer from Casper and Kitty!

Tom Horn
03-08-2002, 08:13 AM
If Graemer insists on climbing into high places while he should be resting, is there any possibility he might tolerate having his range restricted (like being confined to a bathroom & hall)? I hate to do that to a cat, but sometimes it's necessary. Do you think it's worth a try? He might go stir-crazy, but it seems as if that'd be better than taking a chance of aggravating that injury just when it's trying to heal.

Anyway--just a thought.:confused:

sasvermont
03-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Tom, thanks for your suggestion.

Right now and for the past three days he has been restricting himself. The day of and the day after he hurt himself, he was still climbing etc. but then stopped. He is doing a minimal amount of walking right now and only hopping on to the sofa and in and out of the litter box. If he starts flipping around as he begins to feel better, I will confine him.

There is really only one room without places to jump to, and in a couple of other rooms, I can put a ladder or stool for him to use. For the time being, he is just sleeping his life away.

He usually greets me at the door in the evenings, waiting for some wet food, but right now all he does is greet me, eat, then heads for the sofa. Maybe I bought a potato instead of a cat! ;)

I think he will be fine in time. The little rascal. :mad: :eek:

Gio
03-08-2002, 10:14 AM
I'm happy that there isn't anything seriously wrong with Graemer :)

sasvermont
03-11-2002, 01:56 PM
Well, Graemer hasn't improved much at all. I will wait until Thursday and call the Vet to schedule xrays. I assume they will have to knock him out for it/them. I may just wait until Monday to take him in, giving him a little more time to repair. The Vet said he thought it was an injured joint. The poor kitty. His sister had really taken over the house and beats up on him from time to time. Miley really thinks she's Queen Bee right now! Wait until he gets better, she'll probably slip right back into the #2 spot! Well, one of them has to be #2. Graemer is usually #1 +++++ and really gives it to Miley. The tables have turned. That must depress Graemer all the more! :(

Gio
03-12-2002, 07:07 AM
Chin up Graemer, I'm sure you will get better soon! I think I remember that there was someone else who went through the same thing a few months back. It took a while, but then it got sorted out. I wish I could remember more details, my memory is not what it used to be :rolleyes:

lizbud
03-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Sasvermont

Hi ! Just checking in on Graemer boy. How's he doing
lately. Better I hope. Being 'gimpy' is the pits.

Hope you are hanging in there little guy !!! Liz & Buddy.

sasvermont
03-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Well, today was Graemer's first day of playing a bit. He is still favoring his paw but getting better. It has been two weeks to the day. Since the Vet wasn't alarmed I figured whatever happened to his leg/paw will heal on its own. I am anti pills for humans and pets and so is my Vet. Graemer seems to know his limitations. I suspect he will have one more week of getting better... Thanks for thinking about him. He has been such a little trooper through this entire episode. I will keep you posted. Thanks again!

:)

Sunday afternoon - Graemer is much better today and is probably about 85% - leaping, jumping, playing but still limping a little! That little monkey!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-18-2002, 11:12 AM
So glad to hear he's getting back to normal. It's hard on us when our kitties aren't feeling well, but it sounds like he'll be back to normal in no time. :)

wayne0214
03-18-2002, 01:15 PM
Sas, your furkids are Abys' I beleive. If so, they are prone to seek and jump up on and off of high places. I have noticed this behavior in Jumper, but not in the house -not as much as he used to when he was younger.

Cats have remarkable recovery abilities. Last summer my grand matriarch Mama cat was attacked, probably by coyotes. Any way, I hadn't seen her for a few days, and though she had fellen vicitm, as she is extremely independant and refuses to stay inside with my other furkids. A very sad time, let me tell you, although deep down inside I believed that she was OK but hiding. Sure enough she came in one afternoon barely walking because her back left leg was nearly bit off, but without external injuries. I took as good a care of her as best I could. Within about 10 days she was walking normal again and now, you can't tell she was ever injured there. I don' t think that dog or coyote will be back because I'm sure she did an "number" on his face!

.......wayne

sasvermont
03-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Wow Wayne, good thing your kitty survived. Yes, I do have two Abys. Graemer, the male is just impossible to keep track of. He leaps from place to place and is constantly falling into dish drain trays in the sink and pots and pans on counters - you name it, he's fallen into it. I think this time he must have landed wrong or hit something that hurt him. He is a sweet boy, just filled with adventure. Miley, his sis, is very cautious, although likes to climb - just not leap! Graemer leaps all the time! I caught him checking out the top of a door this morning...and I told him NO. Since I am gone all day, he is more than able to jump from door to door while I am gone!

sasvermont
03-21-2002, 10:46 AM
As of yesterday, Graemer is back to his usual self. He is jumping on tops of doors etc. etc. and playing "for keeps" with Miley. It is so nice to see him happy again. It took him almost two weeks to get over his mishap. Thought we could close this thread forever...thanks for all of your comments and concerns.

purrley
03-21-2002, 10:56 AM
That's super good news:) :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Good to hear it, sasvermont! :)

It's so hard on us when our little kitties aren't feeling good, but it sounds like Graemer came through it just fine. :) :)

LoudLou
03-21-2002, 02:24 PM
HOORAAY! Graemer so glad you are ALL better!!! We was worried 'bout ya!

04-18-2002, 12:13 PM
I see I have to be quick , as you are planning to shut this tread ...!
I must have overlooked this tread the past days , but now I 'm glad I found it !!Wish the very best to graemer !!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-19-2002, 11:26 PM
I'm glad that Graemer is finally back to normal. I have a cat that is half abby and he loves to jump,run,and leap up on things. I guess you just have to let them do what comes naturally and hope that they won't injure themselves.