PDA

View Full Version : Kaige's first show

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 09:22 AM
I brought Kaige to the ASCA show yesterday and for the fun of it I entered him in puppy conformation. He got 5th place out of 5 puppies. I'm sure a LOT of that is my fault.

I had NO idea what I was doing, I've watched many conformation shows but didn't pay full attention to everything as I was not planning on showing for conformation. lol

Some of my no-no's included: holding the lead with both hands for a while, didn't know where to stop, didn't bring extra special treats, went too fast etc.. etc...
To make matters worse I was FIRST! :eek: Why did they make me, the person who has NEVER handled nor shown before go first? I made a fool out of us.

We got to practice for about 30 minutes before, besides that I haven't practiced ANY conforamtion with him. His stance was alright, could of been a lot better with a better treat. His gait (trott, whatever, I don't remember what they call it for aussies) was really good but I was going too fast, therefore making it more of a jog. lol lol

All in all we had a lot of fun though and got some socialization out of it and that is all that matters!!! !

Pawsitive Thinking
08-15-2005, 09:29 AM
All in all we had a lot of fun though and got some socialization out of it and that is all that matters!!! !

Thats what its all about - well done for having a go! :D

vinjashira
08-15-2005, 10:17 AM
we didn't do very well either at Snowy's frist show :D but you'll get there in the end.

I am surprised that you could show Kaige at such an early age though. All the shows I've been to only have puppy class for 6 - 12 months old puppies.

Bigyummydog
08-15-2005, 10:23 AM
There's always a first time. As long as you had a good time, I wouldn't worry about it. Now you know what to work on for next time.

new mom to a veiled
08-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Good for you for having the courage to just do it. Sounds like you had some fun and thats what counts.

RobiLee
08-15-2005, 10:37 AM
I think that is wonderful! I don't think you made a fool out of yourself at all. I'm such a big chicken and afraid to try new stuff that I would have been too afraid to even attempt such a thing. I think it is so cool that you did it. Besides, how else are you supposed to learn if you don't just jump in there and go for it. Kudos, for you!!!

Now, more pics of Kaige please!:D

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by vinjashira
we didn't do very well either at Snowy's frist show :D but you'll get there in the end.

I am surprised that you could show Kaige at such an early age though. All the shows I've been to only have puppy class for 6 - 12 months old puppies.

It was an ASCA show, not AKC. Oh the joys of other clubs!!!!

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Oh & just so no one gets confused, we're not showing for comformation I just thought since I was there & allowed to I'd give it a go. So no need to really practice. But I think I might practice just a little just in case we have another oportunity. We just won't practice too much though.
We're going to be doing agility.

I forgot my camera so I didn't get any pics of the show. :( But I'll make up for that later in the week.

Jadapit
08-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Practice makes perfect right?:D It sounds like you had a lot of fun.
Your right, the socialization is wondeful for Kaige.

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 11:39 AM
That's something that you went ahead and did it. Kaige is lucky to have you for an owner. :) Sounds like a match made in heaven, the two of you.

vinjashira
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
But I think I might practice just a little just in case we have another oportunity. We just won't practice too much though.
We're going to be doing agility.
you won't be able to start agility training before Kaige is one year old so you might as well have fun with conformation until then :)
that's what I do with Snowy.

anyway, well done you two!

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by vinjashira
you won't be able to start agility training before Kaige is one year old so you might as well have fun with conformation until then :)
that's what I do with Snowy.

anyway, well done you two!

Yeah, he was a conformation dog but the owner didn't work out, so he was sold as a pet quality dog to me with the pet contract. So I'd only be able to show him until 6 months of age, then he gets neutered. And I'd only be able to show him at ASCA shows as he is a puppy. Plus I'd have to learn how to handle him more properly etc... etc... Then there's the whole thing of working around his obedience classes which start soon & is on Sat. and thats when a lot of shows are. It's just way to much to do in such a short time.
I may be able to talk to the breeder and see if I do show him at conformation if we can alter the contract but I don't think that is something I'm interested in at this point. Now if I had thought about it more ahead of time & had the time to plan everything it would be a go.
I did have a blast!

wolfsoul
08-15-2005, 01:06 PM
It sounds like you had fun anyways! I go to dog shows and watch them on TV, but if I was in one myself I'd probably be stumped on what to do lol. I don't really pay much attention to the handling. But I'd like to show my dog anyways. I hope you do better in your next show! Be sure to get pictures next time!

Daisy and Delilah
08-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Wow!! That is so cool. I agree with some of the others, I wouldn't even have had the courage to do it. Way to Go!! Keep trying. I know you and Kaige will be first place before you know it.

Terry

jesse_3
08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
That sounds like so much fun! Who cares what place you get?-As long as you had fun. Congrats on being courages enough to do something like that! I sure couldn't:o

Steph and Jes