PDA

View Full Version : I need lots of advice on helping this hungry kitty

SaxDiva
03-02-2002, 12:59 PM
There's this little black kitty that was crying yesterday in front of my window and when I went outside to see it it ran away. It was skinny and hungry. I walked outside in the cold for a while and with the help of Tommy Earl, (my dachshund) I would find the cat. it was scared though, and hungry and maybe hurt. The bad thing about it is, Tommy has an awsome nose and is great at finding the cat, but then, he likes to bark his brains out and scare it away, I have him on a leash at all times though. well it sleeted and snowed a lot over night and I saw the cat out there in the snow in the cold and so I got one of tommy's old dishes he doesn't use and put warm milk in it, and got one of his doggy treats ( I don't have kitty treats cuz I don't have any cats), one of his little T-Bonz, and cut it up with a knife since cats have little dainty mouths, and its just outside my back porch so I can look out and see if he came and ate some. Well I want to keep putting food out there so he wont starve so could yall tell me what kittens like to eat, cuz I only know about dogs. Do you think I should just give up and forget about the cat? Well thanks for yallz help.

Former User
03-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Don't foget the cat!
If you go to a shppe (pet store for example) they can help you when you tell your situation. Brands do have food for kittens and you should use that, kitten food.
Is there a change that the kitten might come and eat from your hand? That would give you the change to see in what kind of condition it is. I sure hope it isn't hurt.

I hope you could catch this little one and get him safe. I bet he's cold out there :(

sasvermont
03-02-2002, 01:13 PM
I would not give it milk, but instead, water. Any meat would be good too. Tuna, chicken, turkey even cooked hamburger. Once you start feeding it, it will be yours. Our usual next move is to trap it, take it to a vet, have it spade/altered and then either: keep it, find it a good home, or re-release it if it is a feral cat. Lots depends on the vet visit. It may be so sick that it needs to be put to sleep or maybe its just plain old hungry. You could also call the local animal shelter - that's your call. Good luck.

P. S. The area where I live has an organization that will loan traps and will fix the cat, test it, give it shots etc. for nearly nothing. You might want to check on something like this in your area.:confused: :eek:

Karen
03-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Let's see - cut up chicken scraps, tuna fish - and of course, a box of dry kitten food next time you're at the store.

Next step Dad took was taking an old blanket, sprinkling it with flea powder and putting it on the porch in a box where kitten could snuggle down warm at night.

Bless you for seeing the kitten in the first place, and caring to do something about it, poor thing!

And welcome to Pet Talk! I am sure Spencer-the-Lion, a Texas cat-rescue guy's cat (the person's name is Chuck) will have lots of help and advice for you, too.

Will Tommy Earl stop barking if you shush him and say "nice kitty" in a soothing voice? Worth a try - I'm sure he's just saying "Ma! Look! There it is! I found it! Aren't I great?! There it is! Can we get it?! Bark!" :)

Randi
03-02-2002, 02:31 PM
I think it's wonderful that you want to help and it's brilliant advice from sasvermont. If it's very cold you could also build an easy and cheap house for the cat and put it where there's not too much draft.

Click on this link to see the CatHouse post:

"Build an easy CatHouse for stray cats" (http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7761)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-02-2002, 07:50 PM
Yes, definitely do something, do not forget about the little tyke. For some reason he came to your window, and you've shown you care by looking for and finding him. Get some kitten food, and the box with the blanket would be a good start too. Once the kitten knows it can get food from you, it will probably start trusting you, and if you can keep Tommy Earl calm, the kitten will probably venture indoors, especially if it's cold and nasty outside.

Please let us know what happens.

PS - as you can see, I'm partial to black cats, so I'd really like to see this little one rescued.

SaxDiva
03-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Yes I live in Arlington

AvaJoy
03-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the kitten sought you out, sensing your kind heart! :) I can't add much to the excellent advice already posted. I'm sure the kitten will not venture far now that it knows where to get a meal. Watch out . . . the little one may steal your heart.:D

I've been feeding a scaredy gray stray for about a week now that looks just like my Lily . . . might be that they are kin since she was once a local stray . . . I'm about to set out the trap in a few days and am hoping the gray will go right on in easy as pie. ;) :D