PDA

View Full Version : Source for Omega-3?

NoahsMommy
08-15-2005, 04:47 AM
Does anyone take Omega-3 suppliments?

I want to start taking this, but am concerned about the mercury. A lot of the bottles I'm finding at grocery stores don't mention mercury at all, so I'm not confident they're monitored for it.

Does anyone have a good, safe source for this?

Sirrahsim
08-15-2005, 05:46 AM
I found this article at americanheart.org. Not exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3013797

Fish, Levels of Mercury and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Fish is a good source of protein and, unlike fatty meat products, it’s not high in saturated fat. It’s also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit heart health.

The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week. However, some types of fish may contain high levels of mercury, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), dioxins and other environmental contaminants. Levels of these substances are generally highest in older, larger, predatory fish and marine mammals. Levels of mercury and omega-3 fatty acids for various fish and shellfish are shown below.

The benefits and risks of eating fish vary depending on a person’s stage of life.

Children, pregnant and nursing women usually have low CVD risk but may be at higher risk of exposure to excessive mercury from fish. Avoiding potentially contaminated fish is a higher priority for these groups.
For middle-aged and older men, and women after menopause, the benefits of eating fish far outweigh the risks within the established guidelines of the FDA and Environmental Protection Agency.
Eating a variety of fish will help minimize any potentially adverse effects due to environmental pollutants.
Top 10 fish and shellfish consumed in the United States

Mean mercury level in parts per million (ppm) Omega-3 fatty acids
(grams per 3-oz. serving)
Canned tuna (light)
0.12 0.26–0.73
Shrimp ND* 0.27
Pollock 0.06 0.46
Salmon (fresh,frozen) 0.01 0.68–1.83
Cod 0.11 0.13–0.24
Catfish 0.05 0.15–0.20
Clams ND* 0.24
Flounder or sole 0.05 0.43
Crabs 0.06 0.34–0.40
Scallops 0.05 0.17

Other common seafoods

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm) Omega-3 fatty acids
Lobster 0.31 0.07–0.41
Grouper 0.55 0.21
Halibut 0.26 0.40–1.00
Oysters ND* 0.37–1.17
Mahi mahi 0.19 0.12
Herring 0.04 1.71–1.81

Fish with the highest levels of mercury (about 1 ppm Hg)

Mean mercury level in
parts per million (ppm) Omega-3 fatty acids
Shark 0.99 0.90
Swordfish 0.97 0.70
Tilefish (golden bass or golden snapper) 1.45 0.80
King mackerel 0.73 0.34

Advice from the FDA
Women who are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or nursing — and young children — should not eat these fish. Everyone else can eat up to 7 ounces of high-mercury fish per week.

Fish with about 0.5 ppm Hg

Mean mercury level in parts per million (ppm) Omega-3 fatty acids
Fresh or frozen tuna 0.38 0.24–1.28
Red snapper 0.60 0.27
Orange roughy 0.54 0.002

Advice from the FDA
Minimizing exposure to methylmercury is particularly important for pregnant women, women who are planning to become pregnant, nursing women and young children. These people should limit their consumption of all fish with much lower mercury levels than 1 ppm Hg (see above). The guideline for them is 12 ounces per week (about 3 to 4 servings). Other people can eat 14 ounces a week of fish with mercury levels that average 0.5 ppm.

* ND - mercury concentration below the Level of Detection (LOD=0.01ppm)

buckner
08-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Wow, how in the world do I post right after Missy's wonderful post? So informative!

I was going to say the same thing - Fish and Seafood are EXCELLENT (and maybe the only food source) sources for Omega3 Fatty Acids. I became a vegetarian about 13 months ago, and my doctor told me as long as I ate fish or seafood I would be okay. Her reason was because Fish is the only food that contains Omega3 Fatty Acids, and you need them - I believe it has something to do with the quality and length of your life, in the long run.

I hope that answers your questions. I've never heard of any other kind of foods having it, so when I didn't like seafood or fish when I became a vegetarian, I had to suck it up and move on! :)

sirrahbed
08-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Kelly - my hubby takes an Omega-3 supplement - simply called "FISH OIL" - they are big oil filled capsules. The brand is Spring Valley and we buy them at our Kroger in a bottle of 250 softgels. It is a white bottle with a yellow label and green letters. The label says Purified to remove Mercury, PCB's and Dioxins

http://www.leiner.com/LEN_OurProducts/ProductDetail.asp?MListID=21