PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female which do you prefer?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-17-2001, 05:54 PM
Besides the obvious, do you find much difference between a male or female dog. For many years friends would tell us don't ever get a male dog you will be sorry and he will lift his leg on everything. We had always had female dogs, I think for at least 25 years, then two years ago my husband decided he wanted a male Schnauzer and I was not happy but Perry came into our lives. I have completely changed my mind about males. He is the sweetest, most loving dog, if he sees you are sad he will come sit with you. Before Kona crossed the Rainbow bridge, he would lick her eyes and face and outside he would drag out a pillow for her to lay on.
On the other hand our little female Daisy is very independent, maybe will come if you call her or maybe not, she is loving in a differnt way. We love our dogs more than life itself, both of them, but I would never hesitate to get a male again.
By the way Perry only lifts his leg on a tree or our backyard fence!

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 17, 2001).]

Logan
02-17-2001, 07:32 PM
I chose girls...don't really know why, just thought they would be calmer. I think breed and genetics matter more than the sex. I correspond with many Golden Retriever owners, and it seems like there isn't a common thread. Some females are wild as bulls and some males as gentle as can be. You just don't ever know! If I have an opportunity to take in a rescue Golden, I will not worry about male or female, just whether the dog can exist with Honey and Lilly, the cats and us! Any pet I have will always be spayed anyway.
Good question, Jackie.

Angels3
02-17-2001, 07:59 PM
I always thought that male dogs would be stroppy...fighting their owners for dominance and doing lots of doggy things like marking their territory, digging holes & being generally uncooperative. But when we got our male sheltie, Danny, I realized that was a stereotype. Danny was biddable, cooperative, sweet...the works! It was the female sheltie with whom we had the battle for dominance...& still do. So now I believe there's no general answer to the question...which is best, male or female...and that it may even depend on the individual dog. And on how it's treated & trained by people, as well as on its temperament.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-17-2001, 08:27 PM
Logan
Thats a good reminder, all of our pets have always been spayed. Hopefully most everyone on this post has had their pets spayed too.

Pam
02-17-2001, 08:30 PM
That's a good question! Possibly you could start a topic just polling us folks here at Pet Talk and see, for the fun of it, how many males and how many females are represented here. Out of the 4 dogs I have owned, 3 were female. The male was as sweet as he could be, and to tell you the truth there was really no difference in temperament or behavior. I agree that once they are neutered the major concerns just fade away (females' heat cycles and males that might "grab onto your leg"(if you know what I mean). http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif I think it's probably best just to go with the pup that "connects" with you.

Genia
02-18-2001, 02:44 AM
I've never given it much thought. I've always had males. My mother had a female GSD when I was growing up but I think that's the only female dog owned by my family. I don't think there was ever a preference. You know, now that I think of it....My father has 7 brothers and 1 sister. My parents have 7 grandsons and 1 grandauther. Male dogs and 1 female...hhmmm, maybe there's a hidden message here....

KYS
02-18-2001, 06:09 AM
I have only owned one male dog, so I
really can not compare.
My whole family prefers females.
When I got my male they all got up
in arms about it. lol
Now that I have him everyone loves him.
I still prefer females because
they are smaller and I like their (plumbing better) lol
I taught my male as a puppy, that leg hugging
on humans and other dogs is not acceptable behavior.
Other than that I have not noticed
much of a difference, and all my dogs are spayed.

RachelJ
02-18-2001, 10:36 AM
I too had a "females only" attitude as I have known nuetered male dogs owned by neighbors and friends that are obscessed with marking. I don't even know why I agreed to look at Tucker being he was a male, but when he was brought to our house and squatted to urinate, I had to give him a chance. He tried so hard to please and work his way into our routines that the very first day he was with us, it was if he had been our dog all along. Like your Perry, Jackie, Tucker is the most loving, cooperative little boy, while Hannah is the independent one who will decide when and if her love is to be bestowed. Tucker still squats 95 percent of the time, urinates all at one time as opposed to a little here or a little there and has never 'marked' anything indoors. And as far as the leg hugging, Hannah was the one that had to be deterred from that trait. She was crazed with it as a very small puppy, and every once in a while she will still try it, but knows it is not allowed! I think it is more a sign of dominance and she only tries it with me as I am the one she has issues with.

So if another dog should ever grace our lives, gender will not be an issue with me. I will keep my eyes open to personality traits and a dog that has to mark every two feet on a walk would have to be given a second thought.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 18, 2001).]

Daisy's Mom
02-18-2001, 09:59 PM
Well this is kind of gross to admit but when we got Daisy my youngest sister Rachael was only seven. She saw how low and droopy Bassets are, and said, "We are NOT getting a boy basset! What if YOU KNOW WHAT drags on the ground since it's so low to the ground!!!" We never had a real reason to get a girl dog, besides Rachael's reason, and I just felt since I am a girl I might bond better with a girl.

ownerof3dogs
02-22-2001, 05:40 PM
I have two males and one female

AdoreMyDogs
02-23-2001, 08:47 AM
It's going to be hard picking out my next dog (GSD) because I really like the temperment of the females but the males are SO beautiful! I like the added size, fuller coat of the males, but yet I really want a female, although I am not sure why. I guess I just really want a baby girl when I have kids, and so does my husband, I guess that's why I want a girl dog. When we are ready to get a GSD I think we'll just go to the breeder and pick out a puppy and get one that we have a connection with, regardless of the gender.

aly
03-20-2001, 02:37 PM
I judge dogs on their personalities. When I was young, I had always heard that female dogs were a lot sweeter than males. Since I was so young when I heard this, I believed it for a long time. But now I have two boys and I couldn't be happier. I think the generalization is true in many cases but it is also possible to find a sweet, gentle male or a dominant, bratty female. I also heard male cats are friendlier than females but my female kitty is one of the exceptions to the rule.

Bernedette01
04-10-2001, 06:02 PM
Over all i prefer Ferrets the are so loving and generous. Plus they don't bite hard, just enough to break through the skin. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif

AdoreMyDogs
04-11-2001, 07:56 AM
Female humans tend to have a longer life span then male humans...is the same true for dogs I wonder? I wonder if there's ever been a study done on the life spans of different gender dogs of the same breed? If female dogs do tend to live longer then it just raised my chances of my next dog being a female by a huge amount!

Rottie
04-11-2001, 09:24 AM
I prefer males. I don't really know why though http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif I guess because males are usually bigger and fuller, and my male is so cuddly. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif It really depends on each individual dog, what he turns out like.

karen israel
04-11-2001, 12:02 PM
We always had male pets. The one female we had was very tempermental, independent. not very affectionate (only to my mom?) and seemed to have perpetual PMS! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Then again, like Rottie, I chose a male dog cause I wanted a big, tough guardian who could take a tussle. How chauvanistic of me! To think a female couldn't be that way! I really think it's how you train it, the personality. On the goofy side, my mom and I enjoy astrology and coincidently, all the male pets have been December babies so now (silly mom) only wants a December born dog!!!!! when we get another! Humor her, my friends!! It makes her happy!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

Violet
05-10-2001, 09:29 AM
I have a male and a female boxer. I found with boxers your better off with a male. My female thinks she owns the place. She won't listen to any one else but me. She won't even listen to my boyfriend (who I've been dating for 2 and a half years)!I can't speak for other dogs, just boxers....that's all I have....I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

pyrlab
05-10-2001, 02:04 PM
I DEFINITELY say MALES...I have one of each. I don't know about you all, but my dogs act like children! They are both about 2 years old. My female has mood swings...she is happy one second,and mad the next. She pouts when she is scolded, and gets over it only when you apologize to her and over indulge her with affection. Spoilt dog huh? My male is so carefree. He knows when to stear clear of his grumpy sister, and how to push her buttons...typical male! He is so straight forward!

Sudilar
05-10-2001, 04:56 PM
pyrlab,
Do you have a Great Pyrenees?

Jasper's Mom
05-11-2001, 07:12 AM
I have three sons and 1 daughter.

Realized one day I had 2 male goldens
1 male cat
1 female rescue dog
Again 3 boys and 1 girl.

I did not pick the sex of my first golden, he was just there to rescue. I wanted a female for my second golden, for one of each. But he picked me. I don't think the sex has made a lot of difference. But males who squat and do it all one time is a trait I really like.

The count is off now. My female rescue has a loving new home, my male kitty is missing, but... with 2 male dogs and 1 rescue male kitty, there must be 1 female somewhere on the way to my house. It's always that way. If my Jasper could just come home, I would rejoice in the "all male" family.

Speaking of boxers, there are two that we see quite often at the beach near my house. The owner tells me to keep my distance. Her male is sweet but her female is dominant and aggressive. I am sure there must be sweet female boxers too. Depends on the individual dog, except in cases where the female guards her young.

ALL my dogs and cats are ALWAYS spayed or neutered.

pyrlab
05-11-2001, 10:59 AM
SUDILAR,
She is a Pyreneese/Golden Retriever. She is such a beautiful dog, but quite the handful http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by pyrlab (edited May 11, 2001).]

kachuma
05-16-2001, 04:13 AM
I didn't care when I got my dog (female weimaraner spayed)but now I prefer females. There are no territorial issues for her with other dogs at all, she actually ignores most other dogs and only wants our attention.
In Israel, where neutering is very rare (macho-ego thing) It is difficult having a male you have to be on the look out all the time.
I think that raising several dogs in one household can also influence their personality development. If there is a dominant older dog, the younger may be less likely to be dominant. He learns its safer not to be and accepts the older's dominance. This may not necessarily be age related.
I know a wiemaraner father and daughter who live together and she is very submissive. She doesn't exhibit typical weim hyperactivity and aloofness (when outside playing) but approaches strangers to be pet like a golden retriever something my dog would never do.
When we rescued a male german shepard my female was very dominant over him even though he was literally twice her size. (it was her house first). He humbly let her have her way.

crow_noir
06-08-2001, 12:13 AM
i never really had a pref growing up. though as a kid i thought it was cool that females could have puppies. now after meeting many dogs, i am defently more sided towards males. i don't know how to explain it, but the females are just like human females...so annoying in their own way. (i am female too, so don't try to get me for being a male pig.) and you don't have to worry about males getting all weird when they go into heat.

PJ's Mom
06-08-2001, 12:58 AM
I've always preferred males. They seem to be more friendly and eager to learn, and please. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sudilar
06-08-2001, 01:04 PM
I like both, so I have one of each!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
http://swt.edu/~aw1024/adopt12.gif

stephicat
07-05-2001, 07:08 PM
I like both, they can both be sweet, both can be wild. I just like them both.

DogFan77
07-07-2001, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
<STRONG>Besides the obvious, do you find much difference between a male or female dog. For many years friends would tell us don't ever get a male dog you will be sorry and he will lift his leg on everything. We had always had female dogs, I think for at least 25 years, then two years ago my husband decided he wanted a male Schnauzer and I was not happy but Perry came into our lives. I have completely changed my mind about males. He is the sweetest, most loving dog, if he sees you are sad he will come sit with you. Before Kona crossed the Rainbow bridge, he would lick her eyes and face and outside he would drag out a pillow for her to lay on.
On the other hand our little female Daisy is very independent, maybe will come if you call her or maybe not, she is loving in a differnt way. We love our dogs more than life itself, both of them, but I would never hesitate to get a male again.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 17, 2001).]</STRONG>

Hi, i also have a male schnauzer. well i like both. males are more playful. on the other handd females can have baby puppies. if i had to dicide i would get both! :D

DogFan77
07-07-2001, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
<STRONG>Besides the obvious, do you find much difference between a male or female dog. For many years friends would tell us don't ever get a male dog you will be sorry and he will lift his leg on everything. We had always had female dogs, I think for at least 25 years, then two years ago my husband decided he wanted a male Schnauzer and I was not happy but Perry came into our lives. I have completely changed my mind about males. He is the sweetest, most loving dog, if he sees you are sad he will come sit with you. Before Kona crossed the Rainbow bridge, he would lick her eyes and face and outside he would drag out a pillow for her to lay on.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 17, 2001).]</STRONG>

Hi, i also have a male schnauzer. well i like both. males are more playful. on the other hand females can have baby puppies. if i had to dicide i would get both! :D

MHMama
07-29-2001, 04:23 PM
I did not choose Ricky but when my daughter handed him to me, all I saw was a beautiful little pup. It never dawned on me that people had sex preferences until I was walking Ricky one day and an older Hispanic woman in a car asked me to bring him over so she could see him better. When she saw he was a boy, she stated "I thought he was a girl, ugh! I would never have a boy" All I could think was how rude and who asked you? :confused:

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: MHMama ]

laXgrrl5
07-31-2001, 04:25 PM
Well...I've always had male pets. Never, in my life, have I ever had a female pet...unless you want to include my goose! I guess this is from being around guys all my life (I play on a boys' Lacrosse team).

As to date, I've got:

Chevy, bull terrier, male.
Java, cockatiel, male.
Stormy, hedgehog, male.
Blizzie, goose, female.
Lucky, gander, male.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

But more or less, the reason I got a female goose is because I wanted one that adapted to you easier...and I adopted Lucky when Blizzie fell in love with him at the farm where she stays when I go on holidays. :)

kobieeli
08-01-2001, 08:06 PM
I had a female beagle as a kid--a very independent and kind of difficult dog, but sweet as could be. (My parents thought a male would hump, spray, roam, you name it, so they still insist on having females only.) We adopted a female mix 1.5 years ago who's also independent, and a tough little customer. When we added our Aussie male puppy a year ago I was in uncharted territory, but he's been wonderful! We neutered him at 7 months and have had no trouble with him marking or doing other irritating guy stuff. He's very sensitive and affectionate as well. I'd say in general females are a bit more stand-offish and independent (many of the posts here suggest this too), while males, especially neutered ones, are great velcro companions. We love them both!