PDA

View Full Version : Cat food help!!

mlacey
08-15-2005, 12:07 AM
I am a first time kitty owner, I've had Jubei for 3 days now. I took him in to get his 1st shot today, & the vet had reccommeded Science Diet for him. What I forgot to ask is which is better, dry or wet food? Should I give him both? Right now I'm giving him both, I just want to make sure I'm doing the best thing for him. Any suggestions?? Thank you!

jazzcat
08-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Hi and welcome to Pet Talk!

How old is he? If he is a kitten be sure to feed him kitten food.

I only feed my cats dry food but that is because my vet has always told me it was better for their teeth. I'm sure there are different opinions. I free feed my cats which means I leave the dry food out all the time but it is better to feed them on a schedule like in the morning and then again at night. Less chance of becoming overweight that way.

I hope someone else can be of more help but if I were you and he likes the dry just give him that and maybe just give the canned food as a treat now and then. If your aren't sure just call your vet tomorrow and ask.

NoahsMommy
08-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Wet vs. dry is just a preferance, as they are both nutritionally complete. Whatever you choose, just feed according to the package instructions.

Is your Jubei a kitten? If so, be sure and give him/her kitten food until he/she is a year old. :)

Welcome to PT!

I free-feed my cats dry food and then split a can of cat food between four of them (one doesn't enjoy wet food) each night as a treat.

mlacey
08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Yes, Jubei is a kitten. Right now I'm free-feeding him dry food, with wet food at night. He LOOOOVES the wet food. So I guess it would be okay to keep him on the same regimen? I'll post some pictures up soon.

catmandu
08-15-2005, 06:36 PM
SCIENCE DIET WET FOOD,IS AN EXCELLENT FOOD,A LOT LESS MUCKIER,THAN MOST,AND IF YOUR KITTEN LIKES,IT ,ITS A VERY GOOD THING,FOR HER,THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG,WITH CANNED FOOD,EXCEPT,THAT IT TENDS,TO SPOIL,QUICKLY,IN THIS HOT WEATHER!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture626.jpg

I LOVED CANNED FOOD!!