PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Jelly-Jello...........???

carole
08-14-2005, 07:34 PM
I think it is referred to as Jello in the United States, here we call it Jelly, you know the coloured flavoured wobbly stuff.

I have had such a craving for Jelly lately, so I bought two packets of Blackberry Jelly yesterday, and woofed one of them down smartly,so nice with vanilla ice cream, I love it when it is just set and no more, so it is a bit runny and not really hard, just wandered if anyone else is a Jelly-jello fan, and if so what are your fav flavours, Mine would have to be Blackberry, Raspberry, and Strawberry.

catnapper
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Hmmm... not too much. I always think of it as a hospital food. Or a diet food where someone is trying t convince me I'm having a decadent dessert.

BitsyNaceyDog
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
actually I can't stand it. I've never liked it, not even as a kid.

popcornbird
08-14-2005, 08:04 PM
I love jello with custard, pound cake, fruit, and cool whip. Its such a lovely combo. :D

NoahsMommy
08-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I used to like it a lot more than I do now. Its something that my tummy can tolerate, so I eat it when ill. Like the others, I see it as "sick food"...just like icky chicken broth.

If I had to pick a favorite, it'd be lime and black cherry.

Pineapple is HORRID.....ewww!

Glacier
08-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I literally can not swallow it. The texture makes me gag.

Nomilynn
08-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I find it to be comfort food :) I like anything red, orange, and grape :)

So strange you call it jelly.. here jelly is like jam (for toast) but it's without any chunks of fruit or seeds.

kuhio98
08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Nope, I've never liked it. My husband loves it!

chocolatepuppy
08-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Only once in awhile. And cool whip on top helps! ;)

GoldenLuv
08-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Nope I like Pudding better

luvofallhorses
08-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by GoldenLuv
Nope I like Pudding better

me too!

buckner
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I also hate jello. The texture of it makes me gag, and if I "mush" it in my mouth, I begin to hate the taste. I've never really liked it.. looks so nasty, and I'm one of those "if it looks gross, it has to be gross" kind of people.

I did manage to stuff it down my throat when I was on Atkins and I was dying for something sweet. Almost vomitted everytime though. :rolleyes:

I don't like pudding much either.

rizzy
08-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Yup I like Jello.:D My favorite flavors would have to be strawberry, rasberry, and the two combined lol.

furrykidsmother
08-15-2005, 10:40 AM
I do like Jello, any of the red flavors!! Of course, it has to have whipped cream and I prefer that it not have any fruit suspended in it.

vinjashira
08-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I love it - especially the harder one (conjacs)

dogzr#1
08-15-2005, 11:34 AM
I really like jello!! My favorite flavors are lime, red and whatever the flavor is for the color blue.

lvpets2002
08-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Yes Carole sounds as if we like the same flavors & I carry it premade every day in my lunch at work..

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 11:42 AM
You call it jelly? Cool! What do you call the jelly that you spread on toast? I mean, we have jams and jellies...but, I was wondering what you call them! I love hearing how different countries refer to the same things...And, to answer your question, I like Jello ok, but, I LOVE orange jello with mandarin oranges in it, oh my gosh. :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Oooh, I love jello! Any flavor suits me too!:)

JenWhite
08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I love peach Jello! I love the smell and the color. But I do really like any flavor. It's kind of nostalgic my Mom used to keep it on hand as snack when I was younger :D

wolf_Q
08-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I live in Utah, how could I not like Jell-O? lol ;)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1156021.stm

Really though I do like it though it's not one of my favorite foods, I don't eat it often just if somebody else made some. It is especially good with whipped cream. ;)

wolfsoul
08-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Ick, I can't stand Jell-O!

carole
08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Well some interesting replys, it appears a lot of you like it and lot of you don't, it is not something I really buy very often, but I had like this craving for it, Yes they do give it in hospitals when you are sick, especially if you had your tonsils out and on a light diet, but I never really thought of it like that, Kim I wish it were a diet food, unless you buy the weightwatcher one, it is loaded with sugar, hmm that is why it is so yummy.

kari, we call Jams without seeds in them Jelly's as well, I know it seems strange, but then Jello does to me as well,but at least when you talk about Jello everyone knows exactly what you mean right?:)

A nice little thing to do with Jelly-Jello, is to make a fruit flummery, you put the Jello not quite set in a blender with vanilla ice cream and fruit of your choice, usually fruit salad, tinned variety it really good for it, blend it up, leave it to set properly, only a few minutes and top with whipped cream and grated chocolate if you desire, this is very nice., and fattening.LOL.:)

finn's mom
08-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by carole
kari, we call Jams without seeds in them Jelly's as well, I know it seems strange, but then Jello does to me as well,but at least when you talk about Jello everyone knows exactly what you mean right?:)

Ah, I see...that makes sense, though. So, the brand isn't JELL-O on the box? What brand of Jelly/Jell-o do you use? I mean, it's one of those products that everyone ends up calling by the most popular brand name...like Band-Aids (instead of bandages), Kleenex (instead of tissues), JELL-O (instead of gelatin)...even though there JELL-O isn't the only brand of gelatin you can buy. :)

A nice little thing to do with Jelly-Jello, is to make a fruit flummery, you put the Jello not quite set in a blender with vanilla ice cream and fruit of your choice, usually fruit salad, tinned variety it really good for it, blend it up, leave it to set properly, only a few minutes and top with whipped cream and grated chocolate if you desire, this is very nice., and fattening.LOL.:)

That sounds wonderful! So, you just put the entire concoction into the refrigerator? Do you set it and serve it individuallly, like in a dessert cup or glass? Or is it just in a big bowl that you scoop servings out of? I'd like to try and make that some day...I love stuff like that on hot days!

cyber-sibes
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
It makes me gag, too.

I used to like the black cherry with fruit & nuts in it in Jr. high cafetera many many mnay years ago.

carole
08-15-2005, 10:55 PM
kari it is up to you really, but I make it in individual dishes, like you would for a parfait, make sure the Jello is not properly set though, sort of half and half, not too runny , but not solid.

We buy Edmonds Jellies here , but the one's I got are a cheaper brand called Pam's and I found them to be nicer than the more expensive ones, at 55 cents each a cheapie dessert.

gini
08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
I haven't had Jell-O for a long time. Now you have done it - I will have to make some.

The blackberry and raspberry would be my top choice.

I have a recipe somewhere that calls for sour cream - you layer it - and the texture of the jello goes quite well with the sour cream.

If you want it, I can dig into my recipes for you.

Better yet - wouldn't it be lovely if I could bring it to you in person?

carole
08-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Gini i really appreciate the thought, but I am just not a sour cream fan,now the other sort of cream, it is hard to keep me away from it, whipped cream I love, but I try and stay away from it if I can.:)

neko1
08-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
I LOVE orange jello with mandarin oranges in it, oh my gosh. :)

OMG I love that too! Just had some for lunch today :)